1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight Vib after lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by doormanndan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dec 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    doormanndan

doormanndan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco pre runner
    Note: I am new to this site but not new to this type of forum.
    I searched and read many posts on vibration in Tacomas after lifts, but my lift was slightly different than the information I found.

2006 Tacoma Dbl Cab Long Bed

Front
    Icon 2.5 / TC UCA and alignment after lift. Fresh (20 Miles) BFG 265 70R 17.
    Note: I added 2 turns to the Icon's that were set at 2" lift from the factory.

Rear
    Stock with air bags to help with the weight from my tool box and shell, New tires also.
    Note: Air the bags have been installed for 80,000 miles, set them at 30lbs and the truck looks level

Hers My thoughts
    1) To much angle for the front CV joints
    2) Center bearing in the drive line
    3) U joints
    4) road noise coming through the TC UCA

The vibration is from 0 to 45 aprox and seems to be less in overdrive but that may be do the vibration dropping off at 45?

Note i have been running BFG 265 70R 17 for the last 50,000 miles.

I await your thoughts.

2. Dec 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    a buddy of mine just lifted his Silverado a few days ago, and sounds like hes having the same issue as you. unfortunately i cant be of any help, but my past few rides were lowered and looked nice but rode like shit. i want to lift my taco but its issues like this that make me never want to mess with my suspension ever again

3. Dec 21, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    does the vibration feel like its in the steering wheel or from the bottom of the seat?

if its from the seat, its probably the drive line angle. correct with axle shims or perhaps a carrier bearing drop.

if its from the steering wheel, it could be tire balancing.

2-3" is not too high for the CV joints.

4. Dec 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    subbed

5. Dec 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    You are on the right track. I would recommend replacing the rear airbags with an aal setup. Just seems using airbags for lift not ideal or stable, especially now with the front lift redistributing the truck weight a little more to the rear. I would look into this first. GL and welcome to TW !!

6. Dec 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    doormanndan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco pre runner
    The vibration is felt in the floor or seat of your pants and more so on deceleration than acceleration but still in both.
    As for the air bags the truck has a large Weathergard rat pack box and a shell do you think the aal leafs will carey the load and maintain the lift?
    While I also think the drive line is the issue how would it develop an issue when only the front was moded and will a 1/4" shim under the carrier bearing be enough?
    As a test I could reduce the air in the bags (lower the rear) and see if the issue persist .

Dan L

7. Dec 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya... the pinion on the diff at a "bad" angle which causes carrier bearing vibrations. the vibrations wont hurt anything, but it can be annoying.

lifting the front changes the angle in which the truck sits and can put more weight in the rear or change the angle of the pinion to the carrier bearing. i would try the axle shims first. 2-3 degrees is common. i would also switch out the air bags for an add a leaf. and yes, an add a leaf can handle that additional weight.

the carrier bearing drop is hit or miss. the actual issue is the cross member that the carrier bearing is attached to. thats what actually vibrates and shakes. and ya, start at 1/4" and go up from there in 1/4" increments. or beefedtaco makes a carrier bearing mount/drop that fixes the vibrations.

8. Dec 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.
    I just did the lift and troubleshoot all the vibrations gig. First things that come to mind are the following.

Vibration under 30mph felt in the seat/floorboards is almost surely driveline. This can be felt on deceleration maybe even more than acceleration sometimes. There are some handy measuring techniques.

The vibration above 30mph can be two things. Do the 4wd test if it goes away in 4wd it more than likely the needle bearings in your diff. If it does not then it may be a wheel bearing.

9. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    doormanndan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco pre runner
    After reading post regarding vibs and diff failure after lift kit I am very concerned I have made a big mistake. The results after afew test were not so good.

First test,
    Tire pressure changed from 32psi to 40PSI all the around. no real change perhaps slightly less. Returned the front to 35PSI and had no change.

Second test,
    I shimmed the carrier bearing down 5/16" with no noticeable change, Since my rear is stock I will remove the shims

The next test will require an alignment after lowering the height of the front lift by adjusting the spring lock nut. The Icon shocks came 2"lift out of the box, I added two turns to each shock. I will do this test this week.

I have one factor out of my control at this point witch is I never measured the trucks original height so I assuming that my current lift is about 2.5"

My last thought, has anyone concluded the vibs are coming up through the uni ball and the stiffer UCA bushings and the shock no longer having a rubber bushings?
    It is more or less a guess due to all the knowledge her on TW and all the posts I have read about vibrations, removing diff drops, diff failure, Diff bearings and a dealer TSB with no real solution.

If it was merely a vibration that is now felt because the new UCA and shocks and that perhaps it was there all the time but could not be felt with the stock parts I can live with the vibration.

I use this truck for a variety of purposes including very hard work and play, my goal is to have a truck that is tough enough to get me to the job sites and cross our open lands from coast to coast in the US.

Additional thoughts requested
    Dan L

10. Dec 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    doormanndan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Inland Empire CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco pre runner
To Top