1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight Vibration at initial take-off When pressing hard on accelerator

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JBRICENO, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    JBRICENO

JBRICENO [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 TACOMA TRD SPORT SHORT BED DOUBLE CAB
    Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new Tacoma (2009 TRD Sport) owner, although my first toyota was an SR5 back in 1987 when I purchased a used 1984 with only 7,300 miles. Great truck that was, by the way.

Ok, so my 2009 has 10K miles and I noticed about 1,000 miles or so back that I am getting a vibration feel when I initially take-off from dead stop and if I press the throttle pretty hard. I took it in to the dealer yesterday and they could not reproduce. So, when I picked up my truck the tech offered to go on road test with me at the wheel. I showed him what I was talking about and he did feel the vibration. My truck has anti-slip and I'm wondering if there could be some underlying issue with that not detected by the dealer. He wasn't sure, but said he would take similar and same year truck from lot to perform road test duplicating what I showed him. I also advised him that my truck did not do this when I bought it, but simply started at about 9K miles. I do tow a somewhat heavy travel trailer and am wondering if perhaps I put it under a bit too much stress. Everything from u-joints, to driveshaft/line, carrier bearing, tranny, and all mounts were inspected to find everything still in perfect order.

Anyone else out there notice this vibration with his/her 2009 Tacoma when initially taking off with a heavy throttle, not breaking traction.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Jorge

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

Torque passing thru the carrier bearing can cause it to "wobble". It usually is gone by 15 mph. happens on alot of vehicles with a carrier bearing.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    My 2010 does it and has from day 1. It's not violent or anything, but you can feel it. It stops at like 5mph or so. It certainly can't help the carrier bearing lifespan. I've kinda assumed it's normal, but I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I go in for my 10k.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Chris4x4 with the knowledge. As usual.

Where are my manners? Welcome to TW. Oh, and get used to Chris4x4 knowing the answers to all your questions. He's got a PhD in Tacomaology. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top