1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Slim" tool chest?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DueNorth, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Aug 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    I've been doing some searching and have only found UWS slim tool boxes. The problem is they go over the rails. That really won't work for me because i plan on purchasing a topper soon. It seems most tool boxes are approx. 18" wide (deep) and since i have a short box i'd prefer not to take up that much space, especially since i carry two Goldens in the back.

So before i build a custom one myself, does anyone know where i could find a slim tool chest? Preferably around 12" in depth...

2. Aug 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Pretty much all of the slim boxes are going to go over the rails a bit, if you are talking about how they sit pretty much on the bedside caps. I have a Kobalt slim lo pro and thats how it mounts. There is another member on here, however, that just got a regular toolbox which he chained down in the front of his bed. Or do something like this:

http://www.toolboxes4less.com/wheel-well-truck-tool-box.html

3. Aug 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Those side boxes are an interesting idea and not to bad of a price too (on sale for $165). But i'm concerned that it may not be enough storage space as a chest at the front of the bed. Even with two of the side boxes and not to mention that i lose that precious width at the end of the box for the two dogs.... Good idea and something to consider. Also, two of those side boxes would total $330 plus taxes and shipping. That's getting expensive, especially if i could build one (out of wood mind you) for a fraction of the price.

4. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Anybody else know about slim tool chests available on the market?

5. Aug 10, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much for the link Cypher. Good idea using an ATV type tool box. Just about fits my application perfectly, expect for one thing. It's only 12" tall. I was really hoping to find a box that is 16" tall (right below the cleat rail). Maybe i'm getting a little to picky but that extra space sure does help. I've searched a few more sites and i still haven't found anything, looks like i may have to build one myself. A nice aluminum tool box would have been great but if nobody knows where i can find one, i guess i'm SOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top