1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slip Yoke Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rushbrook, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry I'm asking so many questions lately..LOL Just trying to get a couple things ironed out.

When I come to a stoplight or sign, sometimes I get a little "lurch" after coming to a complete stop. I did some googling recently and I'm seeing things relating to the slip yoke and improper lubrication. I bought this truck (07 TRD 4x4) used with low miles, so I'm guessing if it's lube related that this happened after the first owner traded it in while there were sevicing it.

Is this accurate? The slip yoke thing. I have an appointment Thursday but I'm afraid they won't be able to recreate the problem or may not know about the yoke being an issue.

Thanks!

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I would not worry about it. I thought the same thing when I got mine. It is normal they call it the lurch or something like that. Mine does it periodically

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    It seems to be doing it less now (had it since October), but I also moved out of the city a month ago so I'm not hitting as many stops and such. It's not freaking me out or anything, but my bumper-to-bumper warranty only has 4k miles left. They're gonna charge me 45 bucks to look at it unless they find something that needs repaired under the warranty. Just dont wanna waste my time and a little bit of cash.

anyone else have this and know anything else?

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM AC 4x4 TRD OR
    Husky front mud flaps, OEM bed mat, 3D floor mats, Wet Okole seat covers, fog lights anytime mod, rear diff breather extension, aluminum Relentless tailgate reinforcement, NWexpo corner gussets, 265/75-16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    Are you using the defroster during any of this? That will cause a 'lurch' at a stop, due to the compressor going on, and the rpms bumping up.

5. Jan 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you have an AUTOMATIC?

If YES:
    Do some more searching..... (upper blue bar towards the right).
    Type in:
    LURCH
    Automatic lurch

The Automatics will 'downshift' after you come to a stop. You'll feel a lurch or a bump. It's normal.

6. Jan 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    yeah it's an auto. i've read some more on here before and that sounds a little more violent than what i'm getting. this is just a light movement. sems like a downshift would be a little more significant. i guess i could be wrong. it does kinda bump during takeoff sometimes and i always attributed that to the transmission. i know there'll always be a few more rough or loud things going on with a truck as compared to a car, but this seems i always peek at the tachometer when this happens too, and only once or twice has it actually spiked. i initally thought it might be air in the brake lines. it used to happen on my last car, but the pedal usually just went soft.

I haven't used the AC in a while and that might have something to do with the lurch. I use defrost most of the time now, with the low blow too. I like warm feet!

You guys think I should cancel my appointment??

7. Jan 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM AC 4x4 TRD OR
    Husky front mud flaps, OEM bed mat, 3D floor mats, Wet Okole seat covers, fog lights anytime mod, rear diff breather extension, aluminum Relentless tailgate reinforcement, NWexpo corner gussets, 265/75-16 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    If you are using the defroster, the AC compressor cycles on and off when you do. The truck will lurch somewhat when the compressor comes on due to the bump in rpms.

8. Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Why are you so hung up on the search shit? Is it that big a deal?

9. Jan 5, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    I think he's just saying a search will yield more info for additional reading. I usually search before I ask something anyway. I've been on plenty of forums and even modded one for a couple years so I'm familiar with the search nazis. I think excessive suggestion of search stifles discussion and general forum activity. I didn't take his comment that way though.

I appreciate all the replies everyone!

10. Jan 5, 2011 at 2:49 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    My lady says I should take it in anyway, or at least get some kind of bumper to bumper checkup before the warranty expires.

To Top