1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

slow battery drain troubleshooting steps?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SagWagon, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    SagWagon

SagWagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I have a 2010, and I haven't done much to it yet. I had a trailer hitch and wiring installed. I had an alarm installed, and I raammatted the front doors and changed out the speakers, but the factory radio is still in place. Also, I have an Ultragauge.

I drive my truck mainly on the weekends, so it sits for a while between starts. However, the last couple of times I've gone out to start it, the battery has been dead or weak.

The first time, I think I left the ultragauge in menu mode, so it was my fault. I'm not sure what would have caused this to happen any of the other times though.

This morning, I noticed my alarm light was off, and I started investigating. The battery was totally dead. 4.36V. Also, I noticed that my BluLogic buttons were illuminated even with the key out of the ignition. What would cause this?

Before I left for work this morning, I plugged my battery into a charger (12v 2a), and unplugged the ultragauge. When I get home, I can do some more troubleshooting.

What troubleshooting steps should I take?

Thank you.

2. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Whatever wiring you did has to be shorted somewhere. Those batteries dont drain in a week unless there is something shorted badly. So best approach is to revisit all the changes you did first. .
    My bet is on newly installed alarm wiring because that is one thing that gets power supply from battery even with main power switched off.

3. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    SagWagon

SagWagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR
    I had the alarm guy inspect all of his work, and he says it is correct. The alarm guy and I disconnected all of the trailer hitch wiring, and left the alarm plugged in. He even changed out the alarm brain and the shock sensor. The voltage dropped to 4.9 with only the alarm plugged in. I have sense disconnected the alarm, and I am continuing to monitor. This morning, the voltage is at 11.9, and I'll check it again tonight when I get home.

The voltage drops seem to be happening faster now. Is it possible that a couple of deep cycles, down in the 4v area, could have damaged the battery?

4. Oct 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    That would be my guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top