1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow down-shift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grey Jay, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    Grey Jay

Grey Jay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Hi folks,

I bought an 08 DC TRD in November. Since I have owned it I have found it to be slow. My wife's RAV4 V6 would kill it in a race. What I have determined is that it dosen't seem to want to downshift when I give it gas when I am trying to pass or maintain speed uphill. If I really push the pedal down it will down shift, sometimes two gears, but if I give it moderate pedal, its like trying to pass with a manual transmission that you leave in 5th. - the speed slowly increasses and the RMPs build really slow. Am going to take it in but I thought I would ask for people's opinions.

Thanks a lot,

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Double Cab 4X4
    First of all yes your wife's rav4 V6 would smoke it in a drag race. It's lighter and although it's got less torque it needs less and it's got more horsepower. I don't know if the Rav4 has a lockup torque converter or not but your tacoma does. When it's in 5th it locks the converter for better mileage. And it does seem to require just the right touch to only drop it one gear to accelerate. However you could just slide the shifter to the left and drop it into 4th manually. I often drive around on surface streets and back roads in 4th because I find the torque converter seems to remain locked as long as it's under light load all the way down to like 35-40MPH which is kind of annoying. Of course this is the first automatic I've ever bought for myself in over 20 years too.

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    Same thing with my 2010. Annoying because I have a Lexus IS350 and a Honda which is a 2002. And that Honda have a better grade logic control. That sucker would down shift immediately when it sense I'm going up or down hill and hold it forever. As for the Tacoma I can keep pressing the gas goin up the tejon pass and it would never downshift til I lose so much speed. Kind of retarded being that this technology is nothin new. I almost feel like they are going backward. Even a simple blower fan they can't even get it right.

To Top