1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

small lift/daily driver

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Taco PFF, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Taco PFF

Taco PFF [OP] New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7 Reg. Cab 4x4
    None bone stock
    I'm looking for ideas for a small lift for a 1999 2.7 tacoma Reg. cab. I'm looking for cheap, easy to install and I want to run 31's or 32's. I'm not too worried about quality of ride but I want to keep my gas mileage as this is my daily driver. Also I've got stock 15x7 wheels right now and does anyone have pics of what they look like painted black? and what kind of paint to use on them?

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Firefighter160

Firefighter160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern VA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Offroad
    Cheap and easy to install would be a top plate spacer and a block, but if you plan on keeping your truck for a while you should get a set of Old Man Emu springs or bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks for the front and an add a leaf for the rear. Your front springs and shocks are over 10 years old any way so why not replace them and get the lift with the same part...

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    I have the same truck. I got the 5 leaf pack from wheelers offroad because my leafs were shot, i'm sure yours are the same. I could have went with an AAL but with a old leaf pack its not going to give you the correct lift. I have bilsteins all around, and I'm still running with factory coils. I believe I have 1.5" - 2" of lift. Eventually, I would like to get the OME coils. My gas mileage has not dropped noticeably. It rides way better, and is much safer to drive. All of it was easy to install, this forum has some great write-ups!

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    You can run 31's with your stock suspension, I had them on my old 98 taco. I think think they where 31x10.5x15s.

5. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    The Happy Idiot

The Happy Idiot Active Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 SR5
    Toyota was nice enough to give me a new frame. JBA cat-back, aFe dry drop-in w/ deckplate, Bilstein 5100's all around, Timbrens, Alcan 5-leaf packs, OME 881's, linear clutch pedal return spring (best $3.49 I ever spent)
    Hey, I'm looking to do the same to my '01. I was planning on going with the Rough Country's and new coil overs up front. I've never replaced leaf springs but I'm sure I can make it work. Any problems installing yours or other tips??

6. Aug 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck

If you have air tools and a breaker bar it will be a breeze, make sure you have a whiz wheel because some of the bolts were seized on mine and the quickest easiest way was to just cut it off, oh yea and make sure you bought replacement bolts :).

Also, the shackles are like a chain link, you have to unbolt both nuts to get the shackle off. I almost made the mistake of cutting those bolts off because I thought the were seized but once I unbolted the other nut, it came out easy.

Use anti-seize on the new bolts that hold the leaf pack to the truck and shackle, and thread lock on all bolts. After installation drive a 100 or so miles and re-check your work. Make sure the bolts are still tight.

If you search the forums, there are some really good write ups with pictures on how to do it.

Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top