1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

small lift for 2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4

Discussion in 'ToyTec Lifts' started by nmhs, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello,
    I am the owner of a 2011 tacoma SR5 dbl cab 4x4 and I would like to give it a small lift. I need around an 1.5 to 2 inches of clearance since I cut firewood. I wont use it for any kind of four wheel driving except for a few days of firewood cutting.

I have looked at all the options for toytec and I was wondering what everyone recommends.

Thanks,

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    5100s for the front. Search.

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in New Hampshire

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    THE LIVE FREE OR DIE STATE
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    wow.... welcome from nj.

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks, I was told that I should look at the toytec 3 inch blocks and a 1.5 inch block in the rear. This seems to be a little harsh for what I might be looking for. What do you think?

thanks!

5. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    I've got the same truck, and am in the same position. I only need a small lift for now. Actually to clear the speed bumps in my neighborhood. I had no idea the 2011 4x4 dbl cab sat so low. :(

6. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Cut 1 1/2" of your mudflaps

7. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    I'm serious, these are some steep speed bumps. It's metal scraping, without a doubt, just as the front tires pass, no issue in the rear. Really don't want to jack the thread though. I'll do some more searching and start my own thread.

8. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    TacoBS

TacoBS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billyson
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite 4x4 DCLB
    2"/1" spacer/block (for now) Tailgate hoseclamp bedmat mod Marathon covers Weathertech mats
    I was also in the same boat w/ my DCLB 4x4. I couldn't afford a fancy lift and wanted to maintain the stock feel for the first year or two, but needed something to help prevent the bottoming out at one of my favorite hiding spots. I went with a 2" spacer up front and a 1" block in the back.

Super happy with the results for now. No more bottoming out or scraping mudflaps, all with a nice stock feel...and installed for well under $3 bills. It's nice cause it is functional for what I do, as I won't be wheeling too crazy just yet in my brand new truck...cost way too damn much money for that right now.

This is not the end goal, however. A year or two down the road I will graduate to some 3" coils and a new leaf pack. Just trying to save for that...so the real fun can begin.

Here's how it looks with the spacer/block set up.

Hope this helps your decision either way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I got 2 1/2" front and 2 3/4" rear with the OME kit , 885's no spacer and Dakars

[​IMG]

10. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Which spacers did you use?

11. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Are you talking about spacers or springs? What is the OME and 885s?

12. Jun 23, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen
    springs. OME is old man emu. they make great springs. 885 is the spring number. for our trucks they have 884, 885, and 886.

for a double cab taco with stock front bumper you would want to probably go with the 885's. factory shocks will not do well with these so you would need to upgrade to the bilstein 5100's or the OME nitro shocks. the toytec site sells all this stuff. also check out wheelersoffroad.com

the cheapest / most effective route you could take would be to just get the billstein 5100 shocks and set them at the 1.75" setting to lift the front so that it would be level with the rear. since you said you will be hauling firewood I would reccomend getting an AAL (add a leaf) for the rear. this will lift the back 1.5" and allow you to carry a little more payload.

13. Jun 23, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    for what you are wanting the lift for blocks will not do you well.

for just a few more dollars you can get much better parts by going with an AAL for the rear and upgrading either shocks or springs and shocks forthe front.

5100's for the front. its wise to get them for the rear too but you can always add them later if you cant afford them now
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

for the rear lift. ive had both the 1.5" single AAL and the 1.5" 3 leaf pack, I love the ride and feel of the 3 pack.
    http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoaal.htm

14. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    What size tires are you running with this setup?

Thanks!

15. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:

Thanks for the info. If I go with the AAL for the rear will I need to raise the front more that 1.75? What are the differences between the front shocks and the spacers? I really like the idea of a better payload so I will probably go with a rear AAL. With this type of set up what size tires would you recommend? Once again, thanks for the info.

16. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    5100's @ .85, Custom Grill, Debadged, Bestop Supertop, BHLM, DDM 4500k HID heads, Nokya 2500k fogs, LED interior lights, Weathertech Mats...
    you really wont gain any clearance unless you put on taller tires, in which case you will need more lift

17. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    well do you want your truck to sit level without a load or sit level with a load? a 1.75" in the front and a 1.5" in the rear will pretty much keep the same stance as it has now, but just taller all around.
    spacers and the 5100's basically do the same thing by preloading your springs. the 5100's just do it better by giving you better shocks giving you a better ride.

why wouldnt he gain ground clearance? he wont gain any under the rear diff but thats about it...the frame and undercairage will sit up higher

18. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    TacoBS

TacoBS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billyson
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite 4x4 DCLB
    2"/1" spacer/block (for now) Tailgate hoseclamp bedmat mod Marathon covers Weathertech mats
    I have a 2" in the front and 1" in the back that was machined locally here in San Luis Obispo. I have their info if you are around here. You would probably get the same results from any setup of similar size from Toytec, etc.

Again, this is a temporary setup to fix an immediate problem...and the only thing I could really afford at the time. I also like how it maintained everything to as close to stock as possible (for the time being.)

In truth, the setup that zombie describes would be more ideal for a little more money, and I would have gone that route too, but a "little" more money might as well have been a lot more in my case. And it maintained the stock feel that I was looking for.

Oh and the tires are just the crappy stock dunlops at 265/65/17. Want to wear 'em out a bit, 'ya know.

19. Jun 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    nmhs

nmhs [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the advice. I will mull it over come back with some more questions.

Thanks

20. Jun 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    I did the same in the front as others have suggested with the 5100's. I had the rear leaf TSB installed by the dealer which upgraded the factory 3 leaf spring to a 4 leaf.

I went ahead and purchased the 5100 4 shock package from "Downsouth" '''they were the best price when I was shopping. They are set @ 1.75
    Downsouth Motorsports - Click Here

After the lift I was able to fit a 265/75/R16 (31.5 x 10.5) tire with no rubbing and the truck sits nice and level when towing my boat. I am really happy with the way it rides....drives straight with no vibrations. Installing the 5100's did require an alignment afterwards.

To Top