1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Small Paint Chips

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by davlawso, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sep 12, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    davlawso

davlawso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 Inferno
    I have noticed a bunch of tiny paint chips from rocks thrown by my tires on the truck. Anyone know of any good tools to fix these? I am really just looking for rust protection. I have seen people use the Paintscratch paint pen kit and the results look pretty good. Anyone used this product? How did it go? Better suggestions?

2. Sep 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I just use the touch up paint sold by the dealership in the parts department. Then you'll know for sure that you're getting the exact color.

3. Sep 12, 2016 at 8:10 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Look into Dr. Colorchip. I think there are some tutorials over on Autogeek.com. I know there are instructional vids out there somewhere on the Internet. Process looks pretty easy. You smear a little smudge on each chip, and let it sit for a bit. You don't even need to be "neat" about it. Just smear the colored stuff on the chips (matched to your paint). Like a little dab on each chip. Sorta like filling a nail hole in a wall with putty. Then it sets up. Then you use the 2nd product to wipe it off/level. Just like you'd sand the putty from a nail hole.

Looks super easy and it's a good fix. The second product only removes the smudged/colored stuff- it leaves the surrounding clear coat untouched.

Search for the videos and check it out. If I was going to be doing several chips at a time, that's the stuff is be trying.

4. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    davlawso

davlawso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4 Inferno
    Awesome! Thanks guys!

5. Jan 22, 2017 at 5:08 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Paint pen from Amazon. Just did a bunch of touch ups yesterday. Will likely have to hit them again to get the paint surfaces to match up. Then in 60 days after they cure I'll hit with a cutting pad see if that helps buff the spots smooth. If not I can wet sand.

Touch up paint blends very well in white though. So if you aren't a perfectionist then you don't need to do anything but touch up areas.

Products Discussed in

To Top