1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SManZ's Build Thread!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Sorry for the late reply. I got the FJ rims off eBay from Frank Motors. A lot of people have gotten theirs from him as well. It was like $525+shipping. Came out to a little over $600 to my door.

I just noticed there's a 2nd Gen Build section. Can a mod move this there for me so I don't look like a jackass that doesn't know what he's doing? :p

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 6, 2010 at 5:19 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Not really a mod per se, but I lubed my prop shafts and changed manual transmission oil to MT-90 yesterday.

The prop shaft job wasn't too hard. Most of my time was spent purging air from my grease gun and it was my first time using one. I had bought one with a flex tube a month ago but I bought another yesterday with a solid tube. This made it a lot easier since I could hold the driveshaft with one hand and press the gun onto the zerk with the other.

There was a suprising amount of air in some of the joints but there was hardly any grease on the underbody by the u-joints. They might not have been filled all the way to begin with. I filled the joints until a little bit of the old grease started to come out, as recommended on this forum. The old grease looked thinner than the new stuff (Mobil 1 red grease in a 14oz tube).

I did have to remove the heat shield/skidplate thing for the rear u-joint on the front driveshaft. Just 2 12mm bolts to get it off. Finding them was a breeze though. I don't get how people are not seeing them all. There are 3 on the rear driveshaft and the zerks are on the outside of the u-joint. There are 2 on the front driveshaft and the zerk is tucked inside the u-joint but the front shaft can be turned by hand so that the zerk is accessible.

I can't say I feel a difference in the transmission from adding MT-90 and it only took about 1.7 quarts before it started coming out of the fill port.

I also did an oil change and used one of the Bosch Premium Plus oil filters that they just started stocking at Advance Auto. I think I got duped by the fancy packaging though. I'm reading they're the same as the Purolator filters. On the next change I'm going to go with an oversized Mobil-1. Part number is M1-209 from what I'm reading here.

3. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Update! All-Pro front bumper, rear window decals, and TRD CAI are on! I washed the truck up after work today and took some pics!

Thanks to joneill03 who took some time off work to help me with the All-Pro installation!

4. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    metallicgreytaco

metallicgreytaco Mtber

Member:
    northern va
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    Hey, I just joined TW yesterday. Your Tacoma looks sweet. My ride is nearly identical (except for the TRD package and mods). Is that Bent Tree in the background? I am over off of Union Mill.

5. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I'm close to Ormond Stone MS. Let me know if you ever need help with some mods!

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 3:43 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Hey there's no pollen all over it! :D
    This has been a bad year for pollen. Mine's still covered. Hopefully I'll be out washin it on Friday and get it lookin like new again. I finished the grille too. When I get it installed I'll send you some pics. Thanks again for helping me get that Avid bar installed. We killed two birds with one stone.

7. May 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Massive Memorial Mod Day!

I installed the Autometer ES oil pressure gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, A-pillar gauge pods, Flexpod gauge mount, Biceman illuminated 4x4 switch, door sill protectors, and ran wiring for the bed lights!

I also pre-wired for the other 2 gauges I have coming; a TRD boost gauge and another Autometer ES, oil temp. Trying to knock everything out so I just have to do the S/C when I take my vacation!

Pics will follow tomorrowish! Mods left are the two gauges I mentioned, S/C, Spidertrax spacers, bed lights, MAF calibrator, PLX AFR sensor, and the Satoshi grille mod :D

And then I'll be done!

8. Jun 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Added pics of the finished gauge setup! :D More pics of the other stuff will come soon too!

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    The truck looks sick! Good work!

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I got them off of eBay from a Toyota dealer, but I forget which one. :D I paid around $600 shipped for the set of 4. They came with new lug nuts too.

Edit; Brain farted...I saw that someone had replied to the thread and just replied to the last post on the first page, which was like a month ago :p

Jaso, thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    LOL "I'm getting my blowjob at the end of June" nice sig :rofl:
    I'll be looking forward to seeing (and hearing) that s/c man!
    The truck looks better and better every day. No pics of the spacers?

12. Jun 17, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Haha thanks dude! I've got pics of the spacers w/ the slotted/dimpled brake rotors in my camera. I'll upload them and a few other pics tonight. I took pics of the gauges lit up in red last night too!

13. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Updated with night pics of the gauges and pics of the EBC sport rotors and Spidertrax wheel spacers :)

14. Jul 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Added installed photos of the TRD SC and Satoshi grille!

Thanks to joneill03 for letting me borrow a spare grille to put on my truck while I was working on mine.

I'll get photos of the bed lights tonight. I also trimmed mudflaps and did a few other boring things.

15. Jul 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Oh man that looks sweet!
    You going to put an emblem in the grille or leave it as is?

16. Jul 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    Truck looks great. Looking forward to the supercharger install pictures. I am thinking about getting a supercharger down the road.

17. Jul 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    I've got a TRD emblem for the grill waiting when I get home. I'm going to change up some of the rest of the badging but I don't know exactly what I'm going to do yet. I wish sock would make some TRD Supercharged bedside decals already!

18. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    A bunch of new photos today after I got the truck and bike washed/waxed. I moved files around on the server so I just redid the whole build thread.

This truck is almost done! Only remaining mods are some emblems for the Satoshi grill, PLX SM-AFR, and URD MAF calibrator. Maybe a TRD short shifter and aluminum pulleys down the line.

19. Jul 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    ffblaze911

ffblaze911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Frederick, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Supercharger
    Truck Looks great! I have the SC also i was wanting to know how much boots you are getting. Also want to know what you think of the cai on the SC and if your having any fuel probs.

20. Jul 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! My TRD boost gauge reads 6psi boost at peak, which is in line with what others are getting out of the TRD S/C.

I haven't had any problems with the CAI/SC combo. Other users are running it without ill effects. I do have an air/fuel sensor waiting to be installed so once I get that in I'll know for sure.

Products Discussed in

To Top