1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smart Key Issues \ Help?

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Add2481TRD, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    Add2481TRD

Add2481TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    Hey guys,
    We have a 2011 4Runner Limited with the Smart Key system. We purchased it about a 1 yr ago. The key fob seemed intermittent and a little weak recently. I put in another battery we had on hand. We had replaced in one time before not long after picking up the truck. So we had a spare battery left from the two pack. Tonight the system just stopped working all together. Will not unlock the doors. Neither by simply grabbing the handle nor pressing the unlock key. It will engage the start button if held up to it. I grabbed the spare fob, but no luck. So I pulled the fuses linked to the security and locks. No issues there. Shortly after that the spare remote worked one time. I'm going to pick up new batteries tomorrow just to verify that it's not an "old" battery issue given the spare is old and the two pack battery may be old as well. The only help I found thus far is a suggestion to disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hr to reset the ECU. I'll try that next if new batteries don't help.

Has anyone else experienced intermittent Smart Key issues on the newer model 4Runners? I had a 2004 4Runner up until last year that did not have this kind of system. Just a normal key fob..no issues other than occasional battery swap outs.

2. Mar 31, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    Thks....Hope so. I did not really like the idea of the "push to start" when we first looked at it but it grew on me eventually. It's my wife's ride so if it makes her happy...good to go. I'm kinda glad my 2015 Tacoma TRD does not have the system. Less to worry with. I'm sure it has it's own bag of tricks for me to learn. My old 98 Tacoma SR5 was a simple as they come. Still have it as my backup.

3. Apr 1, 2015 at 3:50 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    Update......New fob battery solved problem. Looks like our spare battery was too weak even though it was only a year old in the pack.

4. Apr 2, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    Update Revised....:eek:
    Looks like I may have jumped the gun on the all clear on the SmartKey issue. The wife gave me a call at work this morning to say the Fob had stopped working again. So it looks like something else is at play. I'm going to do some more trouble shooting tonight. I'll start by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hr to reset the system. If anyone else has any suggestions based on past experience...I'm all ears at this point. :confused:

5. Apr 2, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Don't disconnect the battery.

6. Apr 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    I have a unused (spare) fob that I can put a new battery in to test the defective FOB theory. What's the downside of disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU?

7. Apr 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Get the vehicle into service.
    They can check the fob output and look for any wierd things going on.
    Disconnecting the battery will hamper their checks.

8. Apr 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    U can try this

9. Apr 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    While taking the most recent battery out of the "everyday" fob to put into the "spare" fob, I noticed a build up on the circuit board between two of the chips. This is not on the board of the spare. So it's likely the FOB is defective. My wife will run it by the dealership for a check. The new battery was placed in the spare fob but failed to work. I took the old trusty Fluke meter and checked the three batteries on hand. The original Panasonic battery in the spare checked out at 0.16V out of 3.0V. The new one was drained down to 1.2V. I had one other older battery that measure 2.2V. It works in the spare FOB but not at 100% of course. When we purchased the truck from an Infinity dealership, we were locked into a "replacement" key service plan. Looks like this may actually get used (hopefully). Thanks for all the feedback.

10. Apr 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    Add2481TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Georgia,SW
    Vehicle:
    15PreRunnerTRDOR
    Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    Update #3...
    Toyota dealership test FOB today. Electronics were defective as suspected. The new FOB cost $178 + $94 for programming. The key replacement plan we have covers it (up to $500 max). So we will see how this holds true when we file the claim next week. I found a OEM FOB of this model for $194 so the $178 seems like a decent price coming from a dealership. I'll re-post if it goes South again after all this. Thanks for the feedback.

11. Apr 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Very good.

Products Discussed in

To Top