1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smashed my front end

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by milehighliving, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    milehighliving

milehighliving [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 Silver Xtra Cab 4x4
    2nd Gen SC, Addicted Front Bumper, Allpro rear bumper, OME Full suspension lift, LR UCAs, Extended brake lines, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75/r16 with level 8 wheels.
    Under normal weather and road conditions, the vast majority of people do the speed limit, or 5 under... All of a sudden it starts snowing, and everyone has a mindset like "omg my car is awd, or 4wd, and was made for these conditions, lets drive like a I stole it"... although that wasn't the case with my collision, I see this type of behavior constantly.

2. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    milehighliving

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 Silver Xtra Cab 4x4
    2nd Gen SC, Addicted Front Bumper, Allpro rear bumper, OME Full suspension lift, LR UCAs, Extended brake lines, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/75/r16 with level 8 wheels.
    Like I had said in an earlier post, I pulled my front bumper off and had the insurance adjuster come back out to see the damage again. Got another $1500 out of them, for a total of $3700 - $500(deductible) = $3200... Here comes my new bumper w/winch, sliders, possibly skid plates, and lift... Also my grill is somewhat messed up, but looks like I can bend it back to normal. Satoshi mod may be in order, along with HID retro. Here are some pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/UVPBj

In the first picture, you can see how the bracket that attaches to the bumper is twisted/bent. I'm thinking I can bang that back to normal with a Big hammer. My only concern is if that will compromise the strength of it? If so do you think a welding shop could re-enforce some how? Suggestions?

The second picture is of my fender. It actually got pushed back enough so I can't open my passenger door. I think I'm going to take it off and try to bend some brackets back to normal to avoid having to replace it, or paying someone else to fix it... suggestions?

Thanks guys

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Pick out the off-road bumper you want first. Some bumpers like Relentless' require cutting off that portion of the bracket anyway:

DSC01118_813f2faa3477f2458e33c6228b562dd5013c3ff1.jpg

^Unless you are skilled with hand-forming sheetmetal, take it to a good collision shop. Looks like no paint is required, so it should be relatively quick for them to to do.

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    what wheels are those?

5. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    milehighliving

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    03 Silver Xtra Cab 4x4
    Right on, I took the fender off today, and think i found the bracket that was pushing it back, so i'll try throwing it back on and see if that solved the problem... If not, body shop it is. Thanks dude.

Products Discussed in

To Top