1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smith and Wesson SD40

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by KodiakToyTRD, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Sep 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I just purchased one of these concealed carry self defense pistols, does anyone else have one? If so what holster are you guys carrying? And extra mag pouch? Also for you "pros" do you prefer thumb strap, speed holster or shoulder holsters?

[​IMG]

2. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    [​IMG]

Also bought one of these...lol I went on a spree...

3. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    Nice looking Pistols, have you fired one yet?
    The 40 give a nice little wrist snap. :D

4. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I have fired the M&P but not the SD...The M&P I shot was more accurate then any other pistol I've shot. I have owned an XD, a Taurus, and I shoot a Sig P-229 DAK for work, (all .40) and that M&P took the cake. I hope the SD40 is a close match, it'll be my concealed carry gun.

5. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    I have two 40's a Glock 22, this my tool of a gun, ready for work and no concern if something happens to it,
    My other is more of a safe queen, A Beretta 96fs Brigadier all stainless :cool:, she's a sweet pistol.

6. Sep 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I like stainless pistols. I have a Walther PPK/S .380 auto. That is like you said my safe gun and my shoulder carry pistol. All stainless with black grips. The James Bond gun..lol

7. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I used to have the MP 40 compact, I loved that gun but wanted to upgrade to a HK so I got a P2000 .40. Love both guns...

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    Seener84

Seener84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5 4x4
    Leer 100R
    Check out n82tactical.com for holsters. Real comfortable and conceals nicely.

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I guess this is a question answer to a question- but Do you CCW holders carry an extra mag while carrying??

And it's too hot down here for multiple layers most of the year- so I can't use shoulder carry....I use an IWB holster from Crossbreed.

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Austin78

Austin78 Member

Member:
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    K&N Intake, Flow Master Dual Exhaust, I-pod Interface Kit Revtek 3" lift/leveling kit 265/75r16 BFG AT
    I carry the XD40 and the LCP 380. From my experience you need to have a variety of holsters depending on what you are wearing and what you are doing. I have had the best luck with custom made leather holsters. There are some holster fabricators on ebay, if you contact them they will make you a holster to the specs of you pistol and your carrying preferences.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Stong beleiver in carrying extra mag. I've always trained to reload after any type of engagment. Who know what else might come up after the intial contact.

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    I don't carry extra ammo on me because usually when I am carrying I'm out of the house right? Which means my Taco isn't far away. My truck holds my extras, and if I need more than one mag to reach it, then I'm screwed anyways.

13. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Concur with the training to reload/combat holding mags where the potential exists to have repeat contact.

I guess my philosophy with a CC is to get OUT of the situation and away to safety...If 10 shots don't give me the opportunity to get to safety...Then chance are another 10 won't help either-I'm not looking to get into a full on fire fight.

An extra in the truck makes sense- altho I guess if you expend one...chances are the cops will be involved soon and they will most likely NOT want you to reload...

14. Sep 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    DOERanger

DOERanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Sport SB
    No Mudflaps, Fog lights on all the time, Map light/Dome light mod, Door sill protectors, In-channel window guards, Re-badged and sock-monkeyed,many more to come.
    All very true. My thought is that I might have to secure the scene from the outside, where my truck is...and the extra ammo...and the second chance vest...and the shotty. :D Ok, I'm a DD (Defense Dork), but with good reason damn it!

15. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I can understand that mind set and by no means am I a highly trained individual, but I like to think I'm more prepaired than the average gun owner. My thinking is more about worst case scenario, if there's a break in the action and I need to get out of somewhere then I don't want to run out of ammo ;). Plus under stress I know my accuracy isn't going to be what it is at the range, wich increases the chance of running out of ammo and pissing the bad guy off without actually doing damage. So I'm not saying that there is any one right answer, just do what makes sense for you and for me that's to have an extra mag when I carry.

Oh and I have a HK p200 in .40 so its 12+1 in the gun and 12 more on me.

16. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I'm not trying to convert you.
    I would take at least 2 extra mags in my duty belt (sometimes 4 depending on the target)...and they were 9mm M9 mags- so I had even more shots...so I totally understand where you are coming from.

17. Sep 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Nice. Looking forward to a range report.

I usually don't because of the capacity of the XDs. If I carried a 1911, I would for sure.

18. Sep 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I don't carry an extra mag if it's on my person. If I'm carrying in the Plan B, of course there's a spare.

19. Sep 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i have 2 m&p9's, a compact(m&p9c) for summer and one full size for winter. great choice, they are awesome guns. i recently bought a crossbreed supertuck holster. it is an IWB and is very comfortable. its a leather back with a kydex front. it is very adjustable so you find you comfy carry position.

[​IMG]

20. Sep 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I used to have the supertuck and sold it. Mistake. I havea qwikclip on the way though so balance can be restored to the multiverse.

Products Discussed in

To Top