1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smittybilt X20 10K install

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by 4x4Taco09, May 17, 2018.

1. Jul 18, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    The on off switch controls whether the wireless function is on or not.

2. Jul 18, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    4x4Taco09

4x4Taco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 BSP DC LB
    Kings, Deavers, Brute Force, Prinsu, Lights, all the stuff
    No

I also got my $50 rebate prepaid card yesterday :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Jul 18, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Ok thanks for the info.

4. Jul 22, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Installed the X20 and just fit with very little room to spare under the hood latch brace, everything works perfect

7708AB68-677F-450C-93AE-5E1C091A3F53.jpg

9EFDF445-0989-4FFD-9A1C-28B5231D9D8F.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Kolter45, Bastek, Grey 2015 and 2 others like this.
  5. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR MGM Access Premium LB
    Mobtown Sliders, SSO Slimline bumper, Baja Amber lightbar & fogs, Sumo bump stops
    No relocation of solenoid?

Grossomotto[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mobtown Sliders, SSO Slimline bumper, Baja Amber lightbar & fogs, Sumo bump stops
    Looks great. Per one of the reviews, "had a hard time finding ring connectors to use as this switch uses 1/2' instead of the standard 3/8' posts". Your experience? Plug and play? Thanks!

7. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Get larger copper lugs from a good neighborhood hardware store in the electric section. I used a lug crimping punch to put it on my 2-guage cables:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003X51S00?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Or you can solder them, but it’s not as good a connection in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Bastek likes this.
  8. Feb 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    I'm so glad I came across this thread! You guys posted some info about power interrupters I was looking for:thumbsup:

WPNZ likes this.
  9. Feb 18, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking about installing this ML-RBS from Blue Sea as a power interrupt. Mounted on an Off-Grid engineering battery box. Although expensive has anyone else done this? I'm not sure where I would relocate the solenoid in relation to the ML-RBS on the side of the Off-Grid. I'm installing on a 3rd gen with an SSO bumper w/integrated BD 20" light bar. I assume shorter is best. Any advice would be appreciated.

---------------------
    On another, related note I was researching winches and found that the Smittybilt can sometime fail due to moisture getting into the wireless switch. Smittybilt replied to the user at this link with these instructions to bypass the wireless switch for troubleshooting. Might help someone who needs their winch and for whatever reason finds themselves without the wired controller.

Troubleshooting:
    Here is a trouble shoot guide for the switch.

Below is aTest Only to bypass the wireless on/off switch on the control box cover which should allow you to operate the winch in wireless mode. Please respond with any results.

Please follow these steps:

1. Detach the control box from the winch while leaving all wires hooked up.

2. Remove 4 screws on the bottom of the control box holding cover to control box base plate.

3. Carefully lift the cover off of control box and disconnect the two red wires from on/off switch and connect together with a suitable jumper wire.

4. Attempt to spool out the winch with the controller set to wireless mode.

The user there found this direct replacement for the Smittybilt wireless switch (GAMA Electronics Waterproof Mini Off-On Rocker Switch) that they and other users found to be trouble free so far. This one is the same switch but with a red light as well.

Seems a little expense for what it is and I suspect there may be even better switches out there that are the same size, equally water proof, less expensive and perhaps more robust. But unless someone finds one before I install I'm going to put one on before installation.

Bastek likes this.
  10. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    Not raining on your parade, and no , I haven't install it. Take a look at the operating temps. It doesn't really look like it was designed to be installed under the hood

11. Feb 18, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks; I have indeed seen that. However, it has the same operating temps as the ML-ACR that Off-Grid Engineering, ExpeditionPortal, and PowerTrays use for their dual battery set-up. Searching, I've not yet been able to find anyone with any problems. I'm going to ask in some of the big dual battery threads. The dual battery application seems like much more critical component (always in circuit, auto switching between batteries). Failure could be a bigger deal.

Having said that, running *anything* out of spec carries risk not designed for. So it is GREAT that you point it out for anyone reading. Safety (and dependability) is good. I'll have to think about what (if any) implications failure might mean for the ML-RBS used as a simple switch.

*Edit - FWIW: I have now confirmed that the ML-RBS uses magnetic latching and draws no current in "ON" or "OFF" state; only draws current when changing state of switch

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Bastek[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 19, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Since you can already operate the winch from inside the cab using the controller with the 12' wire (or wireless), I'm with you that it doesn't make sense to have another switch that's hardwired to the cab. So, more than likely it's for power so there's no chance (okay, technically LESS chance) of inadvertently spooling the winch.

But I've seen people wire a power switch AND a control (winch in, winch out) switch inside. It would be nice to not have to hunt around for the controller when you need to winch, but honestly, when you're winching you're doing so much getting in and out of the vehicle and setting up the winch from the outside that it doesn't really make sense to have a control switch inside the cab (that is separate from your wireless controller).

13. Feb 19, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Also, some people believe that not having power to the winch all the time is an added measure of safety in an accident (electrical short/fire). I'm personally joining that club although the exact same functionality can be done much cheaper under the hood.

Perhaps the best case for an in-cab power switch might be if you are lucky enough to have one of the Warn Platinum winches. Theoretically you don't have to open the hood for anything, including clutch. If you don't want continuous power to the winch, in that set-up an in cab switch seems to make sense. Otherwise, as you say, your going to be in/out and under the hood anyway.

And by that time you buy that winch, you've already spent a small fortune!

Bastek likes this.
  14. Feb 19, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    I think an in cab power switch definitely makes sense. It can always be off, which decreases the threat of a short/fire, but I think I'd rather have a switch inside the cab. You don't really need to be under the hood while winching, as long as everything is working properly, that is... I think I've seen several threads of people doing in cab switches, I might have to look those up once I pick up my winch this afternoon...

Bastek likes this.
  15. Feb 19, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Unless you purchased a bumper without access holes as I did. Wanted to keep assorted debris out. May not have been the best decision I've made, but it's done.

The Blue Sea ML-RBS on an Off-Grid Engineering battery box linked above seems like a nice option. You can operate manually under the hood as well if you want to shut-off power while under the hood. 1st world problem for sure, but I am going to do it anyway.

Bastek likes this.
  16. Feb 19, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Oh I gotcha. So you have to reach the clutch release from inside the engine bay? I guess I'm not picturing how that works...

Mine is going in this (once I finish it):

17. Feb 19, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    I don't have a winch yet, and actually still waiting for the bumper (maybe another month and a half). So I started researching what to do, I almost have the winch narrowed down, lol. Just wasn't sure wich cut off switch to use. So I asked around, got yelled at, got fed some opinions, but at the end turns out that bunch of people I know (at least 3, lol) use this solenoid
    PAC PAC-500 500-Amp Relay Battery Isolator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001YIPXR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z2jBCb3BDM0YJ

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  18. Feb 19, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    4x4yotaphan

4x4yotaphan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Exterior: King suspension w/compression adjusters Icon billet UCAs Icon 3 leaf expansion pack Timbren rear bump stops w/U bolt flip kit Wheeler’s Offroad front superbumps BFG KO2 285/70/R17 on SCS Ray 10 17” wheels w/black wheel lock lug nuts TRD Pro grill TRD Pro taillights TRD Pro skid plate Demello Offroad front bumper Smittybilt XRC 9.5 comp winch w/Factor 55 fairlead and Flatlink E RCI LCA skids Beast Fab rock sliders 4 Extreme LED 4” pods Baja Design Squadron SAE LED amber fog lights Relentless Fab bedrail mount w/KC Flex dual amber chase lights AVS vent visors Interior: TRD Pro shift knob OEM instrument switch panel conversion (from 3 to 5 slots) Taco Garage DMM with Scosche Magicmount Upgraded Kicker sound system Husky X-act floor liners Performance: Airaid cold air intake system Pedal Commander w/Bluetooth
    I ended up with the synthetic XRC 9500 due to weight savings compared to the X20. Going to be installing this soon and wanted to do something similar because of safety like everyone has said. Wondering what type of amp is needed and if these will work since essentially it’s the same idea and it’ll look cleaner and easy to hide in the engine bay. It’s an in-line fuse/breaker that you can flip the kill switch to stop the power from going to the winch. Links in the pics.

0F3A2942-BEEB-4034-8B90-7C62FA3656CA.jpg

Or this

09D17168-857D-408F-AE1A-42C9DAA09711.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. Feb 20, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    WPNZ

WPNZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson Arizona
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 6MT
    The Smittybilt x20 can pull up to 440 amps @ 8k lbs pull. I run the warn solenoid/switch setup and works fine. Only done a few test pulls in a sandy wash, so not sure how much weight I was pulling, but i'm happy.

4x4yotaphan[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 20, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Has anyone wired their winch power switch through the ignition as well as a switch?

I can see the wiring being more complicated, but then the winch wouldn't be able to be powered without the ignition being on as well (makes it so you can't leave it powered on inadvertently).

To Top