1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smittybilt XRC-9.5K Winch Gen2 - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Roody, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Dec 25, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    4WD FTW

4WD FTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4
    Icon Suspension Kit Pelfrey Bumper and Skid 4.56 Gears Detroit TruTrac Rear Archive Hammer Hangers Deaver U402 Stage 1
    I will only ever buy winches with wireless remotes. I have this fear of the line snapping with me in its path lol. The extra money for the X20 10k is definitely worth it just for the wireless.

Plus there has been times where I have to winch someone up a steep hill, so steep that it's impossible to walk safely. It's convenient to be able to lower yourself down with the cable/wireless remote in hand. I also prefer synthetic line because it doesn't leave splinters in your hands, doesn't kink, is less damaging if it were to snap, and I prefer black over anything shiny. Just my .02 :D

2. Dec 25, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Just a forewarning, but the winches aren’t meant to be powered out for very long at all. Something like 10 seconds of powering out and 2 minutes of cool off time. I forget why but it’s in the manual.

4WD FTW[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 25, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    Redmann

Redmann DILLIGAF

Member:
    First Name:
    Reds
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRDOR
    Did you have an issue with your winch when you first got it? I remember a while back you opened it up and regreased it? I'm thinking about doing the same. It's such a bear to pull mine out on free spool that I power mine out every time. Haven't run into any issues doing so yet. Not sure why the manual would suggest that. I'd think power out and in would be the same but who knows.

4. Dec 25, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    No issues with mine but I repacked the grease before I ever even installed it. The smittybilt grease is a bitch to free spool when cold, which I experienced firsthand the other weekend with someone else’s new winch.

I would’ve thought the same thing, and to make sure I’m not talking out my ass I double checked the manual. I thought I read something stating specific times, but maybe not. Found this though (#24)

4933DF7B-BF6D-4455-97F5-68F4F41D44E1.jpg

Redmann[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 25, 2018 at 8:26 PM
    4WD FTW

4WD FTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4
    Icon Suspension Kit Pelfrey Bumper and Skid 4.56 Gears Detroit TruTrac Rear Archive Hammer Hangers Deaver U402 Stage 1
    I remember reading about that but it seems pretty ridiculous. Maybe when you're doing heavy pulling/trying to break a vehicle free. Winches are still mysterious to me

Products Discussed in

To Top