1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smog Fail - OBDII not ready

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by boshak, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    boshak

boshak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Hi guys! As the title says, the truck failed smog today because "its OBD system was not ready to test."

The tech showed me that the EVAP and CAT systems have not been reset.

He recommended the following for the next few days:
    1) Drive the truck between 55 to 65
    2) Allow the truck to idle and warm up before driving in the morning
    3) Keep the gas between 1/4 and 3/4 tank
    4) Do not turn on the A/C

The tech seemed trustworthy and has great reviews. He offered to test the OBD system before a retest. I just want to run the following by you guys to get your thoughts and make sure I do what's needed before the retest.

1) I disconnected the battery last week to clean the MAF sensor. I haven't driven the truck much since then so the drive cycle reset recommended by the tech seems like it could fix the problem. Is there anything else needed to complete the OBD drive cycle?
    2) I got CEL P2238 (o2 sensor) last year two or three times and reset it each time. No CEL for the past 4 to 6 months. Could this affect the OBD test?
    3) Does having an ultragauge connected prior to testing affect anything? I've disconnected it for now just to be safe.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    scootn2nature

scootn2nature ttora member since 2001

Member:
    orinda
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.7l sr5
    bentup sliders, tjm t17, badland rear,custom leafsprings, fabtech performance co's,
    without the toyota scan tool to throw it into test mode the fsm will give the speeds and time rpms to travel . I use my actron scanner to tell me obd systems are inc, ok, or n/a. Im sure some more knowledgeable people will chime in.

3. Apr 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    Partzguy

Partzguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Unless you've recently had the check engine light come on for some other reason, I'd bet the info the technician gave you was correct and will solve the problem! Last year I had the same thing happen because I had recently unhooked the battery and forgotten to then drive enough for all the sensors to reset. Just drive it for a few days under different road conditions and speeds and I'd bet it will pass the next time!

4. Jun 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    SmogSUX

SmogSUX No Money. No Love.

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma Manual 2.7L 4x4
    Wheelers 5-Pack w/ AAL, ToyTec 1" Shackles, 10" 5125's, 5100's w/ ToyTech Springs, Braided Steel Brake Lines, AFE Filter, BAMF Sliders
    I'm reviving this because my ScanGauge II is saying my Tacoma is "not ready" and I need to smog it. I haven't reset any codes in awhile, though I did replace my battery terminal last week. I just finished driving the truck 500+ miles round trip (Mostly highway, but was in some city traffic too. Speeds on the highway from 50-80mph) with my motorcycle in the bed just this last weekend...any ideas on why it won't go into "ready" mode?

5. Jun 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    Have you tried disconnecting the scangauge and driving without it?

Then reconnect it after to see if the error persists.

6. Jun 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    boshak

boshak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Does the scangauge say what system isn't ready?

Before driving the truck in the morning, start the truck and let it idle until it reaches operating temp. Also, drive the truck constantly at 60 to 65 (5th gear if you're a manual) for 10 to 15 mins. These are the two things that helped set my system.

7. Apr 8, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    xrdskar1

xrdskar1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KEV
    SAN JOSE
    Vehicle:
    2019 taco dBm cab quicksand trd offroad
    TRD Pro skid plate bedrug carpet for the bed custom leather seats and custom install a Tuffy box as the whole no longer exist in the 2019 Tacomas had my stereo guy custom cut the hole
    I am having the same issue at this point I have driven 274 miles in a combination of freeway speeds of 60 to 85 miles an hour 50 to 70 miles around town on city streets at varying speeds got frustrated and look up the exact Drive pattern or whatever they call it the you supposed to do and it is ridiculous you are supposed to drive between 40 and 60 something miles per hour for 150 seconds then idle for 2 minutes then drive at 25 miles an hour for 40 seconds then idle for 10 seconds and do this 10 times I don't know where to go do this as people will either be honking at me or trying to drive around me this is very frustrating so I am purchasing a scanning tool that says you can leave it plugged in while you drive and the lights will indicate when they have reset

8. Apr 8, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    xrdskar1

xrdskar1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KEV
    SAN JOSE
    Vehicle:
    2019 taco dBm cab quicksand trd offroad
    TRD Pro skid plate bedrug carpet for the bed custom leather seats and custom install a Tuffy box as the whole no longer exist in the 2019 Tacomas had my stereo guy custom cut the hole
    By the way this is on a 2002 Toyota Tacoma I no longer own the 2014 I bought a new 2019 in November

TruckZY likes this.
  9. Apr 9, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    I'm in the same boat.

That's just the fast way to get everything to reset. If you just do like the OP's 1st post in this thread says you should be all set.

I forgot about the 1/4-3/4 fuel tank thing and filled my tank the other day. Crap.

Also, you own a 1st gen and a 3rd gen? That's the best Tacoma.

10. Mar 20, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    TruckZY

TruckZY Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota tacoma
    Did you get the plug in tool? I'd like to ask where. Went through this today and saw the drive pattern. Assumed it was a troll!
    I can't wrap my head around it and I have 7 days to get this smog done.
    TIA.

11. Mar 21, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TacomaWorld
    Screenshot_2017-10-15-10-28-54.jpg

12. Mar 21, 2021 at 8:32 PM
    Billnis

Billnis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Menifee, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 White PreRunner Extra Cab 3.4L V6 Oak Int.
    PERFORMANCE: TRD Gen1 Supercharger, Snow Performance Water/Methanol Injection, Toyota E-Locker, Falken Wildpeak Tires, 5100 Bilstein Shocks, Redarc Tow Pro Brake Controller, B&M Transmission Cooler. EXTERIOR: Raptor Spray-on Bedliner, Custom NRT Off Road decals, Chase Rack with Offroad Lights, Fog Lights, Bed Lights, Rear Bumper Lights, Rago Bed Stiffeners, T1A Metal Door Handles, 7-Pin Trailer Connector, Switchback front turn signals, LED tail lights, License Plate Lights Shutoff For Backup Camera. INTERIOR: Android Head Unit with OBD2, Dash Camera, Backup Camera, TPMS, and Hands Free Microphone, Rockville SS8P Subwoofer, Remote Door Locks with Automatic Window Close, RFID Kill Switch, Custom Switch Panel, Hands Free Phone Mount, All LED lights LED, Ignition Light Ring, A pillar two gauge pod with VC-50 Meth Injection Controller and NRT Branded Oil Pressure gauge, Torque Pro App for Gauges (Wideband Air/Fuel, Water Temp, Trans Temp, MAF, Volts, Timing, Engine Load, Intake Temp, Throttle Position, Fuel Status - shows open or closed loop, Instant MPG.)
    You need to drive your truck under normal conditions for at least 100 miles after disconnecting the battery.
    This is just basic for everyone. Not speaking to any of the other advice, I don't know about scangauge.

13. Mar 21, 2021 at 8:49 PM
    TruckZY

TruckZY Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota tacoma
    I did. 2 weeks ago smog tech said to drive it 100miles and I drove a total of 175 in the past week and I hadn't disconnected the battery.

14. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    techfinsoup

techfinsoup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 4x4
    This year’s registration I had to smog check the truck.

I replaced the cat converter, replaced a sensor, and some loose hoses.

Drove it 1000 miles, did a free check at O’Riely’s with thier scan tool, Cat and Evap not ready.

drove another 1000 miles, EVap not ready.

After two different smog places, and after buying my own scanner, I thought I was ready.

A third trip to the smog station, the tech said everything is good but the drive cycle is not ready.

the solution is to follow the drive cycle procedures exactly how it is defined or pay extra at the smog place to run it through the drive cycle on their rollers.

I paid an extra $30 for the drive cycle and was done with it.

TruckZY likes this.
  15. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    TruckZY

TruckZY Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota tacoma
    Omg that wasn't offered to me as an option or I would have done it.
    O'Reilly isn't doing the obd readers here because of covid. I may just buy 1.

16. Mar 25, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    running these monitors requires the parameters to be correct 2 times.

17. Mar 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM
    Toyoda213

Toyoda213 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 dlbc Prerunner 4x4 converted
    the day you plan to take it to smog it drive it the whole day then go before they close and smog it.

18. Mar 28, 2021 at 11:02 PM
    TruckZY

TruckZY Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota tacoma
    I forgot to update the thread. So after I brought truck to smog shop last weekend, I took it home and put the old,, original gas cap back on then i unplugged the battery for 2 hours. Reconnected it and drove it 70 miles on the freeway. Then on Friday, I went to the gas station and put enough gas (92 octane) to fill it a bit higher than half a tank. I then drove about 3 miles in stop and go traffic until I reached the freeway.. I then drove on the freeway for approx 50minutes between 50 and 60mph. Stopped, had lunch then immediately drove it a few miles to the closest smog shop. Had to ask guy to plug in OBD reader to check (they don't like doing this) and he said it was ready. It passed in 10minutes! A big relief since Toyota wanted to charge me $300 to diagnose! Thanks for all tips and tricks!

19. Mar 28, 2021 at 11:07 PM
    Toyoda213

Toyoda213 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 dlbc Prerunner 4x4 converted
    good deal. Glad it passed. I hate emission test

TruckZY likes this.
  20. Mar 28, 2021 at 11:09 PM
    TruckZY

TruckZY Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota tacoma
    Thank you. I was so stressed out over it because reg is due in a day or 2. I have no way of knowing what made it pass. I think it was driving slower on the freeway with foot on pedal whole time. I think that got the cat converter hotter.

Products Discussed in

To Top