1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sneak Peek at the 2JZ (Lexus Inline 6 Motor) I am Cramming into my Ex-Girlfriend's Engine Bay

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tyler Lacasse, Feb 15, 2016.

1. May 31, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    Pink DLX taco

Pink DLX taco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Pink Tacoma First gen
    2jzge
    Dude! This is getting me excited

I have been working on this swap over the last few months. (truck was a 1995 2rzfe before so a little different in the details)

Fuel: Does your fuel pump have an in-tank regulator? I am having to tap the IS fuel rail and run a return line.

good going getting the non-immobilized ECU, I have one of each, and havent tried to hook them up yet. Still a mystery if it will work.

Do you have a picture of your motor mount/tranny mount setup?

Thanks in advance

2. May 31, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    COMAtized99

COMAtized99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    I responded to your pm.

My question for you would be how hard would it be to wire in the fuel pump ECU?

I don't really know much about pwn signals....

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. Jun 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Tyler Lacasse [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    I don't believe it does, but now that you mention that I will take a look into that. It feels like forever since I pulled the old motor out. The old setup does have a return line for a circulating system which I'd like to utilize. I am in the same boat as you right now with taping the return line. Want to get it running first then the immediate thing I plan on doing is taping the rail for a return.

I'll post up some pictures next weekend. I have some of the old mounts but want to post recent picts of the way I am sticking with. Needed a break and didn't go under the car at all this weekend unfortunately. Bunch of wire came in the mail just the other day.

And thanks for sharing!! Are you doing the GTE or GE motor?

4. Jun 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    Thank you very much for your response on that. I greatly appreciate it and definitely follow it a bit better now. My apologies for getting back to you so late on that. I am a bit familiar with pwn as it is used in LED lighting for marine aquariums which I have a good understanding of, but for sending that signal to a relay...idunno. If it has an operating trigger signal that ranges from 1 volt to 5 volts and a capacitor inline to mellow out the pulsing (I think that sounds about right), that'd be great! Not sure about one that actually exists though. I need to look.

Wiring up a fuel pump ECU doesn't seem all too hard... But it'd be easier to just find existing wires and send 12v to the Tacoma pump. Here is an image of it with it's wires. This one is for sale on eBay for something like $50. Not sure if it's correct, but just to give everyone an idea of one looks like.

ECU FUEL.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jun 7, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    My vote, would be to wire in the fuel pump ecu.. to me, it seams easier to do that than to try and figure out a work around for the fuel pump. However, I would be interested in seeing how you worked around it.

Im not sure why, but it was that Lexus always goes overboard with some of its electronic devices. I mean an ECU for the fuel pump?

6. Jun 7, 2016 at 10:41 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab

You make a valid point. Also, I am sure it is there for a reason. Lexus got every bit of Toyota's redundancy with things and more, but in a positive way. I am fascinated every bit along the way as I learn more on this. Just bought Lexus Part #89570-30180. Hopefully it'll arrive by this weekend.

7. Jun 10, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    From my understanding-

On the far right:

Big Black/Red wire is 12 volt supply from battery to Fuel Pump ECU.

The two smaller wires (black/blue, black/red) to the left of that one- one is from vehicle ECU sending the pwm signal turning it on and telling it how to run the fuel pump and the other small wire is to check if the fuel pump is "healthy." Not sure which is which yet but will find that out.

Then there is the big Blue/Red wire. That is the signal to the fuel pump.

I have no idea what the far left two wires do yet, which one is white and black and the blue and white.

Have to head to work right now, but will try to see what the other two do.

Fuel Pump ECU.jpg

8. Jun 12, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    Update! It started with the key!! As @COMAtized99 said, I took it one wire at a time and made a diagram which was a huge help for troubleshooting. So stoked right now. Issue I had was no spark. Turns out you have to ground the igniter box too. Durr! But super stoked right now. Just buttoning everything up right now and will be sending it off to the drive shaft shop by next week. Will get all those much wanted pictures too by the end of this week, such as motor brackets and stuff. Thank you all who have chimed in on this. Really means a lot. Was very motivating when times became overwhelming!

On my phone right now but posted video to my Facebook. Hopefully this link works-

Old School and Bxnanaz like this.
  9. Jun 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    Bxnanaz

Bxnanaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRDOR 6MT
    Link works. Awesome job man.

10. Jun 13, 2016 at 4:38 AM
    Shabutie

Shabutie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Stewart
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma Limited 4WD 4dr
  11. Jun 13, 2016 at 4:56 AM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    Good work.

Btw, what transmission and transfer case are you using?

12. Jun 13, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    usptwins

usptwins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 Stock stock stock
    Kyb shocks/struts, Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 285/70R17.
    Nicely done man. But I would swap trucks with her once your done... lol

QMEDJoe, 3rYODA and Tyler Lacasse[OP] like this.
  13. Jun 13, 2016 at 8:00 AM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    Thank you for the water temp and tach wire diagram in your PM, greatly appreciated! I will be working on hooking up the remaining various wires (especially those) will be using what you sent me.

Referring to- http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/42173082/2JZ-GTE VVTi JZS161 Aristo Engine Wiring -
    I know exactly where my tach wire is located on the 2jz. BF3 pin 2.

Completely unsure of the temperature sender on the 2jz. Aware of TH- and TH+ on F59, but that is checking a probe located at the bottom of the radiator which I am not using. It is used to determine when to turn the fans on with the Aristo OEM cooling setup. Regardless, TH- and TH+ are unrelated to what is displayed on the dash, as far as I am aware.

Transmission is an A650E, which is a 5 speed automatic. Pin 15 on plug F60 is "NEO." Description is Slave Engine Speed Sensor. It is an output signal. Do you believe this would be the speed sensor wire that would run to the dash? It is literally the only thing I can think of at the moment...might be completely unrelated to transmission speed though.

14. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:22 AM
    3rYODA

3rYODA Don’t sell to me, I don’t pay.

Member:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 white 4x4 TRD
    Fox 2.5’s up front, icon 2.0 rear shocks, stock leafs, !Meso map and dome lights make all the difference in the world!
    Verry cool !! Now time for Lon travel and let's see what that 2jz can really do !!

Tyler Lacasse[OP] likes this.
  15. Jun 15, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    I am totally shocked right now. Just called a drive shaft shop around here in Azusa, CA because I have heard good things about them and the guy was completely rude. Told him that I have done a motor swap. The output shaft on the Lexus motor is different than the output shaft on the Toyota Tacoma. I need to keep the U-Joint (whatever it's called) configuration with the two piece drive shaft that came with the Tac.... and then came something along lines of "we don't want to deal with your kinds of problems." EXCUSE ME?!!!!!

That being said, does anyone know of a good driveshaft shop around the Los Angeles/Pasadena Area? Please PM me. I would seriously appreciate it so much!!! Totally shocked right now that the guy didn't even let me finish my sentence. Kinda upset actually. Had a lot of faith here and was shot down! haha....thank you all.

16. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    3rYODA

Member:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 white 4x4 TRD
    Fox 2.5’s up front, icon 2.0 rear shocks, stock leafs, !Meso map and dome lights make all the difference in the world!
    Lol don't worrie your looking into the wrong place, your going to want a off-road shop to build your drive shaft because they WANT TO DEAL WITH YOUR PROBLEMS and they do custom stuff like that, I'lol give my guy a call who used to work at a driveshaft shop and builds off road toys

17. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You close to Ventura? Coast driveline specializes in that stuff and would do it

Old School likes this.
  18. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    3rYODA

Member:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 white 4x4 TRD
    How those kings ride? I want to pull the trigger on a pare so bad but feel like I should get a coilover kit instead

19. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:27 PM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    I'm ready to see a drift video of this thing!

20. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings

Products Discussed in

To Top