1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel and Fiberglass fenders?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Box Rocket, Nov 4, 2011.

1. May 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    ^ Purty.:D

What about re-working the fiberglass to make it flow a little more naturally/intentionally where the snorkel mounts? Similar to the process used for some satoshi grills?

(Does that even make any sense?):confused:

2. May 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    ponethousand

ponethousand Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    regeared, locked, armor, and stuff
    Is this the same guy earlier in the tread where the fenders were red??

3. May 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Based on those photos I think it actually fits surprisingly well on the glass fenders. It changes the angle a bit where it mounts to the windshield but it would be a piece of cake to make a new bracket there.

I don't think it's the same guy with the red fenders. Those red fenders are Hannemans. These green ones are definitely Glassworks.

4. May 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    ponethousand

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    Nice, When they get here looks like I'll cut them up! The pictue is pretty clean. Didn't like the one where dude cut a big ass hole then put some plastic over it to cover. The way in the picture looks pretty simple to fit.

5. May 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM
    ponethousand

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    Adam, did this guy have a write up at all?

6. May 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Couldn't find a write up anywhere

7. May 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Is there a reason you haven't even considered doing the in cab snorkel? Im just curious because I'm not sure which route i want to go when i get a snorkel. I won't be running fiberglass though.

8. May 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I think if you cut a pocket into the glass fender you can make it look pretty damn nice and it would follow the fender line quite well. Use mdf trim ring to mount and 3-5 lays of weaved fiber cloth

9. May 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    In cab snorkels are too noisy. It would get completely annoying. Kinda like little ricer Honda Civic with a giant blow-off valve on a turbo. Makes a ton of noise and just gets annoying.

But, if the noise of an in-cab snorkel doesn't bother you then it can be a good solution especially if the primary reason for the snorkel is dust. You'll have the cleanest air pulling from the cab vs. anywhere outside the vehicle. If water crossings are part of the reason for having a snorkel then inside the cab isn't ideal IMO since the intake usually ends up in one of the footwells behind/under the dash which is probably a lower location than the stock intake location behind the headlight. Granted it's harder for water to get through doors etc and get to the intake if it's in the cab, but it's still a vulnerable spot. I'd rather have a location higher up.

The truth is 90% of the snorkels out there are mainly for looks. A small percentage actually use their trucks in a way that they get some real world benefits from a snorkel. I feel like the way I use my truck is as much justification for a snorkel as just about anyone else, and still I can barely justify it from a functional standpoint.

If you play in the water use an external high-mounted snorkel. If you want to help with dust (and you don't mind driving inside of a vacuum cleaner) then an in-cab snorkel is a nice clean approach. If it's mostly for looks (and lets face it, most people including myself, have a snorkel at least in part because they like how they look) then run whatever setup you think looks cool.

10. May 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Thanks that cleared it up for me.
    I do like the look of the exterior mounted snorkel but i think I'm going to go with a in cab snorkel. I don't mind extra noises made by my truck. 50% of the time i drive w/o the stereo on just to listen to my truck lol.. I feel like if the water gets into the inlet inside of the cab then your in trouble regardless because your also getting a bunch of electronics wet. wouldn't it be bad to submerge your exhaust pipe too?
    I wonder how smog check will handle a DIY snorkel... They won't really be able to see the pipe/tube i run under the fender since i will still be using the stock air box.

11. May 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM
    FEARFACT

FEARFACT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    03 double cab 4x4
    coilovers,33s etc
    I was going to do an in cab setup since I'm running glassworks and I know a traditional snorkel would get ripped of wheeling on trails up in the northeast. I ended up killing that plan because I didn't want to hear it all the time either..my need is basically due to the deck plate mod, I needed air when I do cork it up. I ended up trimming the intake elbow that goes through the inner fender and the air box then plastic welded it so the "intake" portion is now in the engine compartment aimed toward the windshield, then mounted some flexible ducting and ran it against the inner fender/under the lip the hood rests on and brought it to the far back corner, made a ghetto splash guard for the end so any rain run off or random splashes wouldn't go straight in, that being said that area seems to stay clean and dry regardless of the weather or wheeling so far.y5e9enab_4fdaa674f8ad13ea4d241fe550a537fcedb8bc04.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. May 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Don't let me stop you. I do recommend though that you see if you can find someone with an in-cab snorkel and go for a ride with them. I don't think you realize how noisy these things are. It's not like typical engine noise or tire noise that gets baffled by the body of the truck. Not only do you get the sucking noise of the air going into the intake that is loud on its own, you also get a lot louder engine noise since the noise from the engine compartment is transferred through the intake tube into the cab.

If you want to do it, that's totally cool, but go in your eyes open if you can by getting an idea just how much noise there is. It might not bother you but it's no fun with passengers (especially female ones that you want to have along). They won't appreciate the noise and all passengers will hate that having a conversation is pointless.

13. May 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    hmm i see what you are saying.. Maybe what i will do is have my friend rev my truck up a little while its in park so i can put my ear to the intake tube and see what it sounds like. Only because i don't really know anybody with a truck that has an in cab snorkel. I have a feeling i won't mind the noise still though. Im already a little def from all the construction work I've done :rolleyes: . Don't really care what my passengers think. If they don't like it than they/we can ride in their vehicle lol.

14. May 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    haha. Have fun. Do you have a deck plate mod? If you do, open it up and stick your ear right at the opening of the deck plate hole and rev up to 3000rpm and see how you like that. That will give you an idea of the noise. ;)

15. May 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Vang Toua Moua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Tacoma 2.7, Access cab, 5 lug
    Custom front bumper and rock sliders, glasspack muffler, shorten exhuast, abs killswitch, roof light bar, rear e locker.
    There's a dude on here called i8jeep, or something like that, who did a custom snorkel out of metal. I liked the look and way it was made. I got most the info of his build on making one. Imma be doing one too soon, with aluminum tubing.

16. May 30, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    i dont. but i was considering doing it if i do the in cab snorkel. Then i would be able to just open the deck plate and stuff a rag/plug into the in cab tube when i don't need it.

I took the fender liner out so the stock tube is just exposed basically.. I was gonna put my ear to the stock tube @ about 3k rpms.

17. May 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Have a tube bent is a nice clean option. Zam15 did that on his snorkel. Cut a hole in his glass fenders and had the tube powder coated. It's a really clean look and probably what I will do if I can't get the Safari Snorkel body to mount up cleanly to glass fenders.

IMAG0256_fea7a06578ef325eb174ea203ae15fbbb5058d19.jpg

18. Jun 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    ponethousand

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    04 trd dc limited
    Wanted to post some pix Derek (zam) posted.

I asked him for details on his snorkel set up 3" exhaust pipe bent and powder coated

Pretty clean if you ask me. He has 6" glass though. I'm going with 4.5 glassworks.

Green truck is what I'm going to attempt. .

pehu9e7y_26e672d0539d3eef19399d9c1b6c61b2640962ca.jpg

a4e2ajub_4486cc9be2ff27596a3bd9883007f463fbdb1237.jpg

du9ydy4y_092e3db27c68d6bbaec36bd157b3d30c2b41e99e.jpg

19. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    In my opinion his looks the nicest/cleanest of all the options I have seen here in the thread. If it were me I would probably do it that way. However, I think that with Adam's design/fab skills a completely custom snorkel using the methods this guy used could be really cool and really unique.

20. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    PPansini10

PPansini10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09' DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport

I actually had this in mind when i opened the thread.. if you're set on the glass fenders this looks the best IMO. Personally i don't like the look of those style fenders but its your truck haha.. your truck is my favorite first gen though so I'm sure it'll look great no matter what especially if you choose the route above.

Products Discussed in

To Top