1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel Installation: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by misc, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Mar 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    So I hit some deep stuff that was over my passenger side bumper and 1/2 way up the headlight yesterday and this is what I found today when I removed my intake for the "Max window" mod

[​IMG]

Be sure to fill up ALL the holes in the intake because all that crud was from this little guy I forgot to seal up

[​IMG]

2. Mar 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 BSP TRD Sport DC SB 6sp
    Too many to list, check out my build!
    Looking at that makes me want to go double check for any little holes I missed...

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

just don't get water up over your bumper and you should be OK :rofl:

but yea....check them. I have no idea how I missed mine.

4. Mar 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    and fixed + now I can :spy: on my filter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mar 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Haha that looks a bit better than mine. :p

6. Mar 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Thanks for the tip on the filter depth. I took dimensions of the filter and transferred them so I didn't hit it.

If I did it again it would be much nicer - I was stuck with hand tools for the hole. I also had to offset the screws because I had nothing to chip the rear fins down with so my screws are in between them. Blew my dremmel out cutting someones rear quarter panels for a high clearance bumper :(

Joe :D

7. Mar 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    No worries. Dremel?! Damn that's a hell of a job for a dremel, poor thing. :D

8. Mar 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Hey all! I'm getting ready to do mine in the next day or so! I'm gonna do some reading first though and hopefully get it right the first time. I think I'm gonna steal the window idea too.:eek:

Be ready for some questions and alot of pics...I AM A PIC WHORE!:D

9. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    yea...after 7 snorkels installs, cutting off 2 rear fenders, and a ton of home stuff it saw it's last days :(

That's the "Max window" the above member in my quote was the first I have seen do it so credit is due to him.

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Abso-fucking-lutely!:bowdown: I have been following Max's build. Awesome pics of wheeling too!

I think I will go with the basic rectangle though, New York seems like a PITA to cut out!:)

Your straight-shooting in this thread has made alot of sense out of the snorkel install also. Reps to you too!:bowdown:

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

glad my strait shooting is actually doing some good. it usually gets me in trouble in TW :)

12. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I've eaten my shoes here and there, but there is normally no MIS-communication. My wife and daughter (step) will vouch for that!:thumbsup:

13. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    LOL too bad I put the Nevada window backwards. :homer:

Good luck with the install and thanks for the compliments! :cool:

14. Mar 28, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well, my install is complete. Some ups, some downs. Now that it's done, I think there are a few things I would do differently, but for now it works for me!:D

Pics are loading to Easy Share as we speak! I won't go through all the details, but just some of the points that stick out in my mind.

I started at noon with a ripping headache. On the verge of some Vicodin and a muscle relaxer, but I'll suffer for now, power tools you know!:eek: Finished right at 5:30.

The tabs that hold the inner liner kicked my ass. I have no feeling in my thumb and first two fingers on my left hand. (blew a disc in my neck and impacted my spinal cord better than 50%. disc is replace but now I get pretty good headaches pretty regularly...enough of that, just an expaination, no pity!!!) Anyhow, broke a couple of the tabs that hold the flare on, no problem, the local body shop gave me a couple.

The templates both matched up along with the original install method. I also used XXXX's method of a 4th check with the studs to match the marks, no wax or paint, just visual. All good, center punched all marks and started drilling. I used a 3 1/2" hole saw with the intention of using the cutoff wheels to trim and/or enlarge the main hole, wasn't needed. Checked the fit then drill the stud holes with a unibit. It worked excellent with clean holes, no burrs. Dremeled the edges inside and out, then brushed on primer and used a bottle of touch up paint coat to finish.

While waiting on the paint to dry, went to town and got the flare tabs that I fucked up, freebies are good!:D Also picked up an extra tube of black RTV. Again, thanks to XXXX!, RTV'ed all the holes and started to mount the snorkel. I did trim the connector to the point it bottomed out on the snorkel, and looking back I should have read further and trimmed some off the snorkel itself. I did end up cutting and rolling back the inside of the quarter to make it fit. I did get it in, and I'm not taking it apart again, but it made for some ugliness.:eek: I can live with it.

I may have more RTV on me than the holes in my fender, but I did get everything bolted up inside the fender, what a clusterfuck when you can't feel the nuts threading on! But it is done and tight.

Now for the mess under the hood! I used a conglomeration of PVC and ferncos.(?) I did add the window to the airbox, along with a preoiled K&N I had sitting aside.

THEN...4"x3" pvc coupling RTV'd and screwed to the airbox. I did have to cut off the ring that holds the old line in place for the coupler to fit. It is quite snug and sealed! I did not forget the two holes in the box either. (not bad for a dope smoker!) Next is a short piece of 3" into a 3" street 90* into a 90*fernco over the adapter from the snorkel. It's quite an abortion to look at, but it is sealed well enough to stall the motor when capping the top of the inlet.:thumbsup:

Once again, following XXXX's example, I put a bead of RTV around the top adge and front of the snorkel to keep shit out, but left the bottom open for draining any shit that gets in there. I do need to seal the fender opening where I cut-to-fit, but at this point I was feeling the stray drop of rain and watching the clouds roll in.

I may go back and rething the underhood strategy, but for now I'm good with it. Pics coming up.

Feel free to flame away...I've been married twice and I can take it.

I also have all my mileage tracking, but I will put that up in the other thread.

MY GOD, I haven't typed this much since fucking high school!:eek:

Work station

[​IMG]

new tape and dremel stuff, my supply was low

[​IMG]

New template

[​IMG]

Old one matches the new one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shitz!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Primed and painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FUGLY...I should've read further...

[​IMG]

New tabs for the flare

[​IMG]

Bolted on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out side is complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modding the box...HMMM...nice box:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep a spare K&N oiled and on hand. BTW, the lexan was a freebie too.:)

[​IMG]

The rest of my under-hood abortion. It's tight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RTV'd

[​IMG]

What I was racing the last 20min. or so!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to clean up my "shop":eek:

[​IMG]

Another look, I'll peel the tape when I'm done with the typing and pic whoring!

[​IMG]

Can I be proud?

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the help you guys! I wouldn't have had the balls to cut into my truck without it!

:pray:I gotta give the glory and honor to my Lord also! Couldn't have done it without His help either!:amen::D

15. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks!:D I do need to seal off the fender now. I gotta see what that flashing is you guys used.

16. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Looks good John!

I just used single sided black window flashing from a big box store and cleaned all the metal with alcohol before installing it so it got a good clean grip on the paint.

Keep an eye on your fittings after you put a couple miles on the truck and check to make sure everything is tight and didn't loosen. If you getting to much vibration through the pvc try a 3" - 4" rubber fernco to attach the PVC to the OE intake.

If you want to check and see if you got a good seal at your connections you can block off the fan with some cardboard and put a smoke pen to it and see if it sucks the smoke in.

[​IMG]

17. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    maxamillion2345

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Gotta say reading that gave me a smile. Nice work. Good thing you added a window, that looks like a PITA to pull the filter :D

I used Gorilla tape FWIW, stuff is incredibly strong and sticky. Put it on both sides, still there and I'm not running fender liners.

18. Mar 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks you guys!:D

Removal of the filter isn't too bad. The furncos make it pretty easy. The whole assembly is removable at the rubber 90*.

If I keep it the way it is, I'll glue all the PVC and get it painted.

Gotta get to work now!

Oh, I also gotta redo the RTV around the outside, I peeled the tape too early last night an frigged it up. It didn't set well in the wet and cold.:eek:

19. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    love all the pics. Im starting to think it might be easy enough to try sometime soon

20. Apr 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat "Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Nebraska/South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    93 Pickup 4x4 [22R-E] 5MT
    OME suspension, LCE Performance parts, Konigs, etc. [see build]
    That was just what I needed, I've got a few weeks until I do mine. Always nice to see it over, and over, and over, and over again. . . Boosts the confidence :)

That being said, 2012 fenders are cheap right :D ?? haha

To Top