1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel to CAI to Supercharger compatibility

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    What whipper said. The filter dosent really affect the boost and power levels until it starts getting really clogged. Its more like trying to breathe through a straw while running. The supercharger just cant suck enough air fast enough through the snorkel from what I can tell.

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    There is airflow being limited and the stream of airflow is disrupted by any/all air filters. It may be marginal, but it is a fact....not an opinion.

We can speculate that it wouldn't make a difference, but who are we?

Any scientific test needs to be done with the SAME baseline otherwise what is the point?

IMO that video is bullshit if one test has a filter and one doesn't.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    x2. IMO you have to perform the test as closely as possible minus the part you are trying to prove causes the power loss. He is pulling air straight into the S/C. No one in their right mind would drive like this because of the chances of getting dirt and debris into their engine. He needs to do the same test with the snorkel vs CAI or stock intake to make it more reliable and applicable in real world driving situations.

4. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    There is a guy on this board who plumbed his snorkle into his AFE CAI and with only the CAI (lid off) the supercharger was pushing about 5.5 psi. When the lid was on and it pulled air directly through the snorkle (with CAI filter still in place) his boost dropped to barely 2psi. Thats pretty good evidence to me that the snorkle is highly restrictive.

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    I haven't said, nor do I doubt, that the snorkel is restrictive. My point is simply that the video shows the snorkel with a filter vs air being pulled directly into the S/C. Although the differences may be negligible, a stock intake and AFE CAI still have restrictive tubing, airbox, and filter. In order to be as reliable as possible, the test should have been performed with some type of filter in place simply because no one would ever drive on the street without protection for a $4000 S/C or an engine.

6. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I agree with what your saying on the respect of not driving around without a filter. BUT as whipper said, the new filters (Lets say AFE CAI w/ Pro dry, thats what I am running) wont cause much of a drop assuming the flow isnt restricted into the airbox. There is enough surface area on the new filters that it shouldnt cause much if any drop across it.

7. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Ok so lets all agree to agree :)

Anyone who wants to be credible needs to follow the scientific method of testing not the hillbilly way :D

8. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    AGREED! Thats why I dont own a Heep...

9. May 20, 2012 at 3:08 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    So I think I am going to at least get and install the snorkel for the moment. I won't plumb it into my CAI but will just cap it off inside the fender for the moment. I want to get a 2nd CAI box so I can modify it in a couple ways.

I am going to give this a try, I think if the snorkel does in fact cause breathing issues with the supercharger I will plumb it into my CAI, seal it, and then get 2 different lids for my CAI.
    One will be the stock CAI lid that I can put on to seal the entire unit and make the system breath through the snorkel when I am crossing streams and such.

The other will me a modified lid with most of the lid removed and just a mesh cover. This is will allow the system to breath freely through the lid and will still be filtered by the CAI.

I will monitor performance as well as intake temp and others. I have the supercharger intercooler so even by pulling air from the engine compartment it should be somewhat cooled by the intercooler.

The way I look at it, I will only need the sealed CAI cover when I ford water and in that case I won't be running high RPMS's and large amounts of boost so the loss of boost from pulling through the snorkel shouldn't affect me to bad.

10. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE, Does anyone know if Delmarva got his snorkel installed and dyno runs done???

11. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    did you pm him?

12. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I did but I thought I would revive this thread as well.

13. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    100% true^

i look at my snorkel as a way to protect the engine better not increase its performance.

if i where the op i wouldn't worry about mating a snorkel to a cai and then to the charger i see no point in it. run the factory air box use a high flow air filter preferably a dry model like the afe then slap on the charger and call it a day.

btw, the modifications needed to make a cai work with a snorkel is more than one might think and it really won't make much of a difference if any at all.

14. Aug 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Your assuming I have the original intake to begin with. I am not looking for performance gains so thats a moot point. I know what entails plumbing the snorkel into the CAI so again, thats a moot point.

What I am interested in is any performance drop of running the supercharger and snorkel together.

15. Aug 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM
    Janusz

Janusz Member

Member:
    I will be preparing car for with SC and because of racing routes characteristics in my country (water crossings) I need a snorkel. I don’t want to compromise to performance.

Do you think that larger diameter of custom made snorkel connected to CAI would prevent major HP drop?

16. Aug 7, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    There used to be an airbox mod called a deck plate mod, although i don't see it mentioned very much these days. The gist of it is that you drill the airbox and install a deck plate. Need more air? Unscrew the plate. Need a sealed air box? Screw the plate back in.

http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportrunner/deckplate/projectsportrunner_deckplate.htm

17. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    ScreamingTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    No shit.

If you read the rest of the thread you'll realize the dude isn't a retard and can put two and two together...

18. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Deck plate mod is for 1st gen.

19. Aug 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I could be retarded, you never know!!!

And no, the deck plate mod wont work.

20. Aug 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    ScreamingTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top