1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkeling Tacos!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BamBeds, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Feb 24, 2022 at 8:50 PM
    BamBeds

BamBeds [OP] Founder of Bambeds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab TRD OR
    Bilstien 8100, 8112, Snugtop w/ windoors
    Show us your truck underwater and using it's snorkel or neck high and wishing that it had one!

2. Feb 25, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    Stuck Sucks

Stuck Sucks Aerodynamic styling with functional design

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    The Pacific Plate
    I've never understood the point of a snorkel -- at least in the western US. If there's flowing water, you are suicidal to enter the water. And if you go with the "dust" argument, dust travels higher than the top of the snorkel. Is there another use for the thing? Please educate me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  3. Feb 28, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    longhairedhippy

longhairedhippy I never go full redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD OR SB
    Bunch of stuff bolted on, some cool, some not
    It looks cool? (I know many people disagree). I remember when I saw the movie "Dante's Peak" forever ago and they had a truck with a snorkel and drove through a river. After that movie I vowed to eventually have a truck with a snorkel. On a more serious note though, I have heard from several different folks that after trimming their fenders and bumpers, it opens up the area around the intake on the passenger side and folks have had mud and water splash up into there when hitting it hard. Granted you could just move it somewhere else, but remember what I said about always wanting a snorkel?

Additionally, I have been told it's better performance, due the higher air flow, because of the ram effect and colder air coming in but I never really noticed a difference.

Ultimately, I'm a basic bitch and just like it.

Stuck Sucks[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Feb 28, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    shift957

shift957 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacapon River, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 AC OR
    With all the electronics in trucks now, it seems foolish to put a snorkel to actual use. You may save the engine from hydro lock, but your dash may look like a Christmas tree afterward.

I watch a YouTube channel called 4WD 24-7. Those Aussies put their trucks to the test on the regular, be it mud, climbs, deep water crossings or all of 'em in one video. Love the deep water crossings they do.

Deafcountry270 and BamBeds[OP] like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2022 at 5:21 AM
    Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    '18 Off-road, ‘96 V6
    Yeah
    Here’s a screen grab from a video of my truck driving through water over the hood.
    31090C25-61E7-45FE-BEC1-A956469651EF.jpg

6. Mar 30, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    wade635

wade635 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No photos cause Im usually behind the wheel. Its nice insurance to have. There was a spot we used to go fishing, it was really easy to access until someone blew out the beaver dam. Last time I was there I was glad I had the snorkel. I havent noticed any performance or MPG gains unfortunately. Dust is difficult to quantify. Ive had some trips that resulted in a very dirty air filter. Since having the snorkel I havent had that issue, but those were also different trips. Maybe we need to put it to the test. Two Tacomas with fresh filters hit some desert trails and compare.

BamBeds[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top