1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow blower advice

Discussion in 'North East' started by Poot Klopp, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Poot Klopp

Poot Klopp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 5 lug Access Cab
    16x8" American Racing Tactics - Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 245/70 R16, URD Short Shifter, Wet Okole seat covers, Secondary air filter removed, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Soft Tonneau Cover, Debadged, Husky Floor Liners, OEM Toyota Bed Mat, GROM-AUX media connector with Bracketron mount, DIY Tailgate Lock
    I live in central Jersey with my girl friends parents at the moment. They have an old snowblower that has really struggled this season. I know this kind of snowfall is not common, but since I'm moving out I'd like to buy them a new blower since I'm not going to be able to help.

Can anyone recommend a blower that they have experience with in this area? I'm thinking a mid range two stage blower... Any advice would be great.

2. Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    How much are you looking to spend? A lower end self-propelled MTD (Yard Machines, Craftsman) would run you about $800...with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds.or you can go lower and get one from Wal-Mart for about $500-$600.

A step up is a Toro, Simplicity, or Ariens with 6 fwd and 2 reverse speeds for $1000-$1100. These units are a little for powerful and durable.

It all depends on what kind of surface you're going to be using it on, whether it's level or sloped, how deep the snow, how wide the walk or driveway, and how much you want to spend. Typically things follow the old saying, "You get what you pay for."

Good luck!

3. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
  4. Poot Klopp

Poot Klopp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 5 lug Access Cab
    16x8" American Racing Tactics - Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 245/70 R16, URD Short Shifter, Wet Okole seat covers, Secondary air filter removed, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Soft Tonneau Cover, Debadged, Husky Floor Liners, OEM Toyota Bed Mat, GROM-AUX media connector with Bracketron mount, DIY Tailgate Lock
    Thanks Marc, It will be used for a sloped driveway and a corner lot sidewalk. I think I'll have to check local stores for there stock.

Janster yes it is, one in general and one in regional, but thanks for the advice...

5. oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I've got an MTD (Yard Machine) 10 horse, 24 inch path. 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse. I got it used for $400 about 6 years ago. Only problem I've had so far is a broken shear pin, cost 2 dollars to replace. If we had this kind of snow every year, I don't know how it would hold up, but for our usual winters it does fine.

6. LEEP

LEEP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LEE
    CONNECTICUT
    Vehicle:
    O8 TACOMA TRD
    HONDA SNOW BLOWER MODEL 928 VERY HAPPY WITH MINE ALSO HAS TRACKS COST 2 GRAND BUT WELL WORTH IT

7. JoshO

JoshO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    Window Visors and Weathertechs
    I have had a MTD from Home Depot since about 2003, cost about $700 new and have never had any problems with it. It has gone through several large snow falls including the 3 that hit MD last year and cleared a ton of snow. It is a 2 stage with 5 forward 2 reverse and the chute is manual adjustment, but has an electric start. I would say there is about 100-150 hours on the engine. Still a champ.

To Top