1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Chains

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by A7XTaco, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    So I tire shop just told me you can't use chains on the front tires, it will hit the brake lines. So I check the manual and sure enough, it says not to use chains on the front.

Is this really because it will hit the lines? Can I use chains on the front?

I need them on the front for off road.

2. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    You're 2x4 correct? Put them on the rear tires, problem solved.

I've never heard of this before, I have heard members recommending to put chains on the front before the rear if you have a 4x4. But usually you won't need them anyways with a 4x4.

I use cables on my 2x4, and use them on the rear tires....work just fine, or you could use chains. Doesn't matter.

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Resolve your questions by jacking up your truck, taking your chains and fitting them on the front wheels/tires. Rotate them. See if they hit something. Lower the truck back down, crawl under there and look and see if anything is hitting.

There you go. Now you know.

Different cable chains are going to fit differently depending on the size range of the cables, and what tires you're running. some will be very tight and may not come close to the brake (note spelling) calipers or lines. Others may be larger and hit something. Trial and error will tell you which you have.

On the subject of whether you should put them on the front (if you have a 4X4 of course)... personally I would put them on the back first because that's where you're going to lose traction first. Right? I don't off-road, but that seems logical in any situation. If I had 4 cable chains and a 4X4 though, I'd think you would get awesome traction if you chained up front and rear.

4. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2x4 is correct. The reason I need them on the front is descending down mountains on snow covered gravel roads.

There isn't a worse feeling in the world than sliding down hill without breaking or steering and 5ft on either side is a 100ft drop off on one side and rock wall on the other... I did it last night :eek:

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the easy break on the brakes;). Its been corrected.

If it comes down to it, I might give that a shot. Just being out of town I would like to avoid that much effort in a hotel parking lot.

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    In hindsight, my title should have been, Snow Chains: Parents Only Please.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I havent used fr and rr chains at once in yeeaars , when i did 4wd wasnt needed , the chains had a lot of traction....... gravel rd. with 14"+ snow and a 3/4 ton with mostly H.T. tires. check the tires at full suspension compression and turned lock to lock to see if they will hit the lines , also consider , if reasonable , narrower tires that might not hit.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Chains are always recommended to go on the drive tires of your vehicle. Rear for RWD, and Front for FWD, or Rear for 4x4/AWD.

I understand that you want to have positive steering grip, but I would only recommend putting them on the rear. If you must, then do a slow controlled test of if they will hit anything, or look at purchasing low profile ones, and talk to the sales clerk/shop you're purchasing them from to explain you need ones that would clear the brake lines.

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    There have been a couple of people over on TN running chains. Barmour's been in your situation and found a solution that allowed him to run chains. He initially traded in his '06 for a Frontier because he couldn't get chains on the Taco. Then a year later he dumped the Frontier and went back to a Taco. He ended up buying the FJ rims which gave him enough clearance to run his chains on all 4 wheels. Can't remember who the other person was that also was running chains...I think they were doing so around Mammoth or Big Bear, but just don't remember for sure.

Page 3 of this thread (I think I'm linking directly to pg 3) has barmour's solution to his problem.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163282&page=3

Products Discussed in

To Top