1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Tires on a rear wheel drive SR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by shelglass, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    shelglass

shelglass [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheldon
    Vehicle:
    Glass
    2003 sr5
    So winter has decided to become a real thing here in Missouri this year. Past years have been very limited to small amounts of snow, some ice, but really no big thing. Anyway I was thinking about purchasing two extra wheels for the back, put some snow tires on them and mount them for the 3-4 months we have winter. My question is will this help my rear wheel drive SR in the snow? Can't imagine it would hurt, but before I sink real money in this I thought I would get some feedback.

2. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    Some improvements should be expected yes. Add weight too and you Get better take off traction. Won’t help with stopping.

shelglass[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    Fazzster

Fazzster Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport Manual
    You should run all 4. Would you wear only 1 shoe every day if you have 2 feet? It is just as important to have handling and braking traction as it is to have drive traction. I would get a set of steelies and dedicated snow tires. Simpletire has Sumitomo Ice Edge in 265/70/16 for $88 right now. Mine are on their way along with these steelies from Amazon.

4. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    Q-town Ranger

Q-town Ranger Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    90, 06 & 16 Tacos. Current is '16 M, AC, 4x4, V6, inferno.
    Rack & Rails, de-badged & de-stickered, road radio, light bar, KO2's.
    From a person who experiences five months of winter every year:
    - winter tires are safer in temperatures below 5 C (40 F) whether there is ice or snow on the road or not.
    - best to go with winter tires all around, not just on the drivers, so you will have similar traction on all four.

5. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Always run 4 winter tires! The best investment you can make for yourself and others during winter driving. Even the cheapest winter tires are superior to any M+S and Mud tires. There are 3 Peak rated tires which are better than M+S but not a true winter tire, BFG KO2 is one example.

Two winter tires in the rear will cause more understeer. And much less braking.
    Two winter tires in the front will increase oversteer. Both very dangerous.

6. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    wood714

wood714 Got any Quaaludes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5
    Get a couple steel studded snow tires...their legal in your state.

My dad had a pair on a 66 Ford Fairlane. I was driving it and got caught out in the blizzard of 1978.

I swear I passed 2 CJ's on inclines that they never made it up.

shelglass[OP] and Boghog1 like this.
  7. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    HacksawMark

HacksawMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tacoma V6 DCSB TRD OffRoad traded for 2019 Ford XLT 3.5L EcoBoost SC
    IMO, forget the studs. All they do is chew up the roads when there is no ice or snow. Get a set of really good winter tires such as Michelin X-Ice for all four wheels. There are other brands of really good winter tires but the Michelins come with a 40,000 mile warranty, only one that does.

DetroitDarin and shelglass[OP] like this.
  8. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    We run Blizzaks half the year up here in BC.
    Get four - especially if you like turning and stopping.

9. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    La_FIama_BIanca

La_FIama_BIanca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    2018 White OR DCSB
    Few bags of sand in the back will greatly help in the snow / ice

FYI
    The wranglers that come standard on the TRDORs are snow rated AT tires. Mine have been great this winter. May be cheaper to get a set of take-offs if you wanted to do all 4. These are larger tires than the SR though

10. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    LSUfan1975

LSUfan1975 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Washington NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Dbcb MGM
    So six people over 300 miles north of the mason Dixon line said snow tires. They need them for sure. For you, technically in the South with generally mild winters, is it a good investment to have them sitting around in the garage dry rotting? Your call. My situation living in nc is about the same as yours. I debated on wildpeak and cooper 4s because of the snow rating on each. One tire year around. Feel more than adequate in all of our conditions. One person in Florida said studded tires based on am experience in 1979. I can't even......

11. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    In many places it is ILLEGAL to run less than 4 snow tires. Problem is you get better traction from one end which makes a crash mores likely and much harder to recover from a loss of traction. Trust me on this one. I bought 2 snows for a 97 Civic I had because they only had 2 and they were going to do the other 2 when more stock came in. Hit black ice and the rear came around on me. Problem was the front stuck like glue. So as I tried to steer with the front the rear would wag the tail of the car and never fully recovered. I lined it up for a snow bank in the ditch and had to pull back due to a guy on the on-ramp not seeing me coming. I spun and went into a concrete barrier. Had I had worn tires all around or full snows on all 4 the outcome wouldn’t have been a crash. From initial loss of traction until the crash I had travelled almost 2km trying to regain control.

I know many cheap pricks will argue the need for snow tires. They are superior traction. So check your crash deductible and the cost of snows and choose. It’s your wallet and your truck.

12. Feb 27, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    shelglass

shelglass [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheldon
    Vehicle:
    Glass
    2003 sr5
    I like all the suggestions especially going with all four snow tires, I may look for some wildpeak or cooper 4's one tire all year round.

13. Feb 27, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    I have wildpeaks and yeah they are pretty good in snow but if I were you I would just get snow tires, snowflake rated all terrains are not even close when your driving on ice. My dads highlander has blizzaks and handles like its on rails in the shittiest of road conditions.

14. Feb 27, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    summitsurf

summitsurf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD Fox 2.0 all 4 corners
    Fox 2.0 all 4 corners
    the wrangler duratracs are amazing me so far this winter. i usually would have snow tires on but these impressed me so i didnt switch this year. and its been dumping this winter!

15. Feb 27, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    wood714

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5
    Please try!

I lived in Cincinnati 42 years, and have experienced driving in some major snow and ice. I'd love to learn your extreme knowledge on what I've done wrong all those years.

Plus I have no clue what an "am experience" is.

Thanks in advance.

16. Feb 27, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    LSUfan1975

LSUfan1975 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Washington NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Dbcb MGM
    Two more from extreme winter climates saying snow tires. I used to live in cape girardeau Missouri. The winters are a complete different animal. A few of those guys have to have block heaters for winter too. You certainly don't need that. I am not knocking anyone. Just saying you probably don't need the same as they do. But the bottom line is that it isn't about being cheap its about being practical and whatever makes you feel safe. The i can't even was a joke sorry you took offense "got any quaaludes". Never said i was an expert. Never even made a suggestion. Offered my experience. But thank you for the typing lesson also. Best of luck Shelglass. But i would ask your neighbors what they run. And get whatever makes you feel safe.

17. Feb 27, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    wood714

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5

I don't get offended.

Just from experience, other than chains, studded snow tires work better than anything in snow and ice.

18. Feb 27, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I lived in the mild winter states I would simply run a tire with the severe service rating and call it a day.

BFG KO2's and AT3W's are the first tires that come to mind, they are heavier but perform great on snow and cold weather.

Duratracs don't work well in winter on these trucks, they need weight to function properly. I ran separate winters from my duratracs because of this.

Stud's are all but obsolete now, only the best studded tires come close to standards like the Blizzak. Most truck tires that are studded are made from firm hard compounds that either have traction, or lose it completely. For a true winter, you want a soft compound.

19. Feb 27, 2019 at 9:01 PM
    DLTACO

DLTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Fraser Lake, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited, BFG KO2 275/75R17, Method Wheels,Rigid Industries Grille with E 20: E-Series
    Work in Progress
    I live in central British Columbia a use a dedicated snow/ice tires on all 4 corners from late October to Mid March. I monitor the weather and mount the snow/ice tires when temp is 8 C (46 F) or colder. Anything warmer the snow tires wear quickly. I've never used studded tires I think it's noisy.

20. Feb 28, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    JNG

JNG Shitposter extraordinaire

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD OR DCSB 4x4 AT P&T
    Nokian's tend to come highly rated if you are talking about true winter/snow/ice tires. Problem is finding a Nokian dealer.

shelglass[OP] and Boghog1 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top