1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Traction Ideas

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by bozotaco, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I'm in Central Oregon right now but grew up in the Seattle area. I guess your snow conditions are a bit different than what I'm used to (wet cement slush.) I've skied Big Sky and your snow is alot dryer...easier to drive on. Be safe and watch out for those slednecks!;)

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    You want to improve highway-speed driveability in winter conditions, which is not the same thing as turning your truck into the ultimate icy driveway plow truck.

For safe, predictable highway handling you want:

1. 200-300 lbs directly over the rear axle
    2. Dedicated winter tires with a soft tread compound and open tread pattern
    3. The ability to use your right foot sparingly on both the gas and brake

Your truck can rule to the trails and unplowed logging roads, but it's not designed to have the best handling dynamics on slippery surfaces at 50+ mph. Remember that and modulate your driving accordingly. You are at an inherent disadvantage compared with a Subaru Legacy, Audi A4, or even one of those "F550 guys" with 1000 lbs in the back.

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I understand your difficulty, and I don't know how much it costs to stud tires but after the tire shop removes, studs, and re-installs the tires you might be better off with a dedicated snow tire and save your current tires for the summer months.

Watch a couple of the videos at tirerack
    http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=68&tab=winter#viewAll

They compare studded vs snow tires. It might change your mind on what you decide.

I run Bridgestone Blizzaks on all my vehicles, 2 2wd trucks 1 fwd car. Blizzaks can be pricey, some of the lower priced alternatives might fit your budget better. It's easiest if you can mount these tires on dedicated wheels.

Products Discussed in

To Top