1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

snowchains . . . .

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hecty, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    So do ya'll normally chain up the front or the rears? I used to just chain the rears, fill bed with snow and call it good but a buddy of mine is talking like chaining up the front only with change everything?

2. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Well that's the thing... My tires hardly stuff as they are now, chains will just fuck up my fenders if they hit...

3. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Then your choice on front or back seems pretty clear...

4. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    I got my first Tacoma, first pick up truck actually, last October. That was right before the winter hit out here in Massachusetts, and this past winter we had was arguably one of the worse winters I've ever seen in my 21 years. I never got stuck in my Tacoma, and it is completely stock with a just a regular old set of 265 70 R16 all terrains on it. Some storms we got over 18 inches of snow, and never even came close to getting stuck. In my opinion you really wont need the chains, just get a decent all terrain and you'll be fine.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    bozotaco

bozotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    I like all of the responses from people who live in areas where snow is not an every day matter. 4x4 is not an end all by any means. And for people who mention that they drive through 18 or 20 inches of snow after a storm, that's the fun and easy part. The tough part is driving on hard pack/ice trying to to do 45mph up a steep grade, so the semi behind you doesn't rear end you. This year I've bought a set of Blizzaks, and will also be purchasing a set of heavy duty chains. Just saying.

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Hey, steve and I live in the same town! (almost haha) :p

7. Oct 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I havent bought chains for the taco yet, but I had chains in my Dodge. The only reason I have them is for getting myself out of a bad situation. Only time I had to use them we got stopped by a snowdrift, and had to turn around and go back up what we just came down. Bad planning I know, but I was only 21, and a little too gung ho. I chained the front only, more weight being a diesel, and that gave me the traction to get me and my truck out of a canyon that, had I not had chains, I wouldnt have gotten it out until the snow melted a few months later, or called a snow cat to come get me, $$$$. Plus I know Nevada doesnt require them for 4wd, but Oregon does, and whether the weather is nasty out or not. Certain times of the year, if you dont have chains onboard, you get a ticket.

8. Oct 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    snowtaco2

snowtaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nobody
    Middle Of USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR BBP
    Stock for now
    never had chains but never needed them even pulled out chained chevy 4x4 in
    deep snow air down caus chains will bury u quick on ice I back my foot off the skinny pedal
    when I lived in cali broke trails every weekend 6-10' of snow now in ok winter ice means slow down
    never have needed chains never even thought about it.

9. Oct 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not just some good tires? I live in Colorado and rarely need chains.

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
  11. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Hmmm... I'm always wary of things that promise to be "quick and easy". For example, automatic transmissions are just recently getting better performance and quality over manual transmissions, and look at how many years it has taken to get that far.

That tensioner thing would probably end up over tightening the chains to the point that you can't get them off. Notice how they never showed the lady actually install or remove them? It was all just different cut scenes.

12. Nov 12, 2011 at 10:58 PM
    antler3649

antler3649 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Yellowstone Natl Park
    For the record, I slid back down a hill the other day while driving to one of the most popular backcountry ski spots in the Bozeman area. Then, while skiing up the road, I got passed by a 2wd 1980s chevy with chains. For those of you that say chains aren't necessary, you obviously have no idea what some of us go through.

No, you shouldn't need chains if you live a hum-drum, do-nothing type of life. But for those of us who have a Tacoma to use it rather than pick up chicks (though it's good for that too) chains are pretty much mandatory.

Still looking for the perfect chains - if anyone has any more advice, please share.

13. Nov 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    Rodallg

Rodallg Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA

I picked up some RUD grip 4x4 chains last December after doing the research. I had to use them in Washington at Christmas time with no problem, easy on and off with a short time out side. I purchased them at a tire place in Socal since I needed them before mail order could get them to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top