1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So electric refrig/freezer or just refrig?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by infantry317, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Dec 12, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    infantry317

infantry317 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD OR
    None yet
    The wife has given the go ahead to ditch the ice bags and cooler. Do you guys regret not having a freezer if you just have the refrigerator? Thinking we'll go Iceco whatver we do. Plan to power with a Bluetti EB240 (2400Wh).

2. Dec 12, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I have a Dometic CFX 50 Fridge/Freezer. It's a single chamber, so you just control the temp in 2-degree F increments and I have used the freezer temps twice for grocery store runs.

My dad has a CFX3 25 and we came to the conclusion that for his usage, he could keep that in freezer temps and have ice packs and frozen food in there and then cycle the ice packs to a small Yeti cooler to thaw the frozen food and keep non-frozen items cold.

I'm not sure a dual compartment fridge/freezer is much more than a novelty unless you're running a pretty advanced camp kitchen, or doing fresh food mixed with frozen items for smoothies or something.

I power my fridge directly off the single main battery that has been upgraded from the stock 24F lead acid to a 27F AGM.

infantry317[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2023 at 8:16 AM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    I have a Dometic 75DZ. The dual zone was a good idea in theory before my wife and I had kids, we would take 3 week trips over the summer. I would leave home with frozen venison and other meat that would last us the duration of the trip, and we would resupply on produce every 5 days or so in the refrigerator compartment. However since we now have two little boys are trips are much shorter and we never turn on the freezer side and I wish I had a smaller unit as the 75DZ takes up a ton of space.

It comes down to how long you're going to be gone for and what you can't resupply with. I run mine off a Dometic PLB40 and my house battery is a single 35R AGM.

infantry317[OP] and mic_sierra like this.
  4. Feb 16, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    My ICECO VL65 allows control of both zones so you aren't limited to only one fridge and one freezer zone. Set them both to freeze - freeze or fridge - fridge or one and the other. You just set the temp for the zone and what mode you want the fridge in. Warning: putting it in max will kick the compressor into overdrive so be sure you have enough juice as you will see severe voltage drop. I am in ECO mode 95% of the time and just use MAX when I am on shore or generator power and need to quickly get the unit or zone down to temp.

Products Discussed in

To Top