1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I broke both rear shocks today!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stinkeytaco, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM
    stinkeytaco

stinkeytaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Access
    Toytec ultimate lift,
    I've got an 09 Taco TRD 4x4 with a Toytec Ultimate Lift, Bilstein 5125s and on the way home from a project (10 miles out a rough dirt road) I notice my ass end bouncing around. I stopped to check, and sure enough, the piston rod on both rear shocks was broken right at the top. Anyone ever have this happen. I've got probably 500#s in the bed, and I drive the dirt roads pretty fast, but no really hard slams or anything. If this suspension is this weak, I might go to a long travel setup.

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    well i think long travel is a great idea. but somthing is happening wrong if that your breaking shocks

3. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    if you go LT in the rear, you may have some issues loading your gear/supplies in the bed...

maybe get some custom 10 leaf packs in the rear to alleviate the bulk of the stress on your shocks?

4. Jan 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    I would check the travel of your shocks, if your over extending or bottoming them out that is why they broke

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    stinkeytaco

stinkeytaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Fairfax ca
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Access
    Toytec ultimate lift,
    I've been bottoming out with the weight in the bed, but not too hard, I would think the bumpstops would stop it before the shock rods would break. I'm 35 and have been off roading since I was a kid, I've had a lot of 4x4s, I find it really odd that both would break at the same time, I've never "broken" a shock before.

I vaguely remember the rods being extended (the piston rod threaded and then having a coupler with another rod on top) when I installed the shocks and dust boot, and I just looked on Toytec's website and the describe the lift as having "-----Extended length Bilstein 5100 rear nitrogen gas shocks for optimum performance on and off road" I'd imagine if the shock travel for the lift is being gained by an extended rod then it would allow for more lift/droop, but overload upon compression. Am I missing something, I can't imagine Toytec would miss such an obvious problem.

To Top