1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I Cleaned My Truck And Found....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cars0n`, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    well first off i washed it and removed the mud flaps.

i also found i have a lot of scratches and imperfections in my paint (notice the long scuff in the pic below. As well as rock chips in my hood that i need to touch up.
    [​IMG]

Then i wanted to investigate my bent tailgate situation, so i removed the platsic cover on the top edge of the tailgate to find....

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was hoping this was the only damage and seeing as how i had it that far apart i might as well check the whole thing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

only the first and last "S" brackets on the inside of the tailgate are connected. not sure how that happened..

i called the dealer to get a quote on a tailgate and see if it was covered under the tailgate TSB, but no dice. its only covered for 60 000 kms, my truck has 95 000. And the quote for the tailgate was $800 Without body paint work from the body shop and labor to switch over the handle, so it looks like im going to be doing the Tailgate Reinforce Mod soon.

After that i moved to the inside to clean. i cleaned and armor alled the inside.. yada yada im sure everyone knows how that goes. but my truck was smelling like feet and i couldn't figure out why so i vacuumed the floors and found the were really wet. i set the mats out to dry and am letting a fan/heater blow on the floors all night in the garage. But before i was finished i decided to check the cabin air filter...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ewwww. that thing was grosssss. so i used it as a template for a new filter i was going to make. For $3 i bought a pack of 3 furnace filters 16" x 24" IIRC and cut them to fit. when i cut the furnace filter it turned out if the filter was cut down the middle lengthwise, then it makes the same size quarters as the stock filter (there will be a strip of filter material in the center from cutting the other direction). but i didnt think this would filter sufficiently enough so i doubled up the filter and that turned out perfect because i could have cardboard edging on all 4 edges (as opposed to only having cardboard edges on one 2 sides if i had used one layer (or corner/quarter, whatever you wanna call it) of the filter. then i taped it all together and put it in the filter slot. i dont have pics of this filter change sorry.

Moral of the story.. check your tailgate and cabin air filter if you havent already.

Edit : and i should add i also saw flakes coming off the composite bed where you can see it in the rear wheel wells. is this something to be worried about?

2. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    tmat

tmat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Treavor
    Cypress, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab, PreRunner
    BHLM, de-badged, custom Manoukian flowmaster exhaust system, Bilstein 5100 front adjustable shocks set at 1.75", "smoked" foglights, Satoshi grille mod, 265/75r16 BFG T/A KO tires, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, solid rear window, Weathertech floor liners and painted grill surround
    Awesome. good to know man. So are you going to buy a whole new bumper or what? I didn't know they sold just the reinforcement.

3. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Cars0n`

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    if you mean tailgate, they dont sell any reinforcement kit, its a DIY somewhere here there is a write up on how to reinforce the tailgates, but i think the newer ones are already strengthened and dont have this problem

4. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    Cars0n`

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
  5. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    that's 1 dirty filter...

PS...

you should ditch imageshack..

6. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    Cars0n`

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.

whats a better image hosting site? not firmiliar with many.

7. Feb 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Port Hueneme
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    I use photobucket. Or you can upload them to TW.

8. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Or Picasa too (google)

Sucks about the tail gate, there's no damage to the bed or anything is there?

Scratches... eh, it's a truck :D

Filter... mine looks like that after about 2 months in the desert, they're cheap lol.

9. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Cars0n`

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    i thought they were expensive??

and i should add i also saw flakes coming off the composite bed where you can see it in the rear wheel wells. is this something to be worried about?

10. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    Cars0n`

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    just had another look at the tailgate. anyone know of any good epoxy i could use to secure the s brackets again?

To Top