1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I finally saw a 2012 tacoma in person

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by T A C O M A, Nov 17, 2011.

?

After seeing the 2012s in person do you think they look...

Poll closed Dec 17, 2011.
  1. Better than the previous 2nd gens.

99 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. Worse than the previous 2nd gens.

70 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. not better or worse than the 2nd gens.

111 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. whats the difference, they look the same to me.

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Signkutter

Signkutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 DC PreRunner 6cyl. Auto
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your absolutely right... these trucks look nothing alike.... if I didnt know better I would find it hard to believe that these trucks are even made by the same manufacturer!!!

One of these trucks is obviously a thing of beauty and the other is a hideously twisted wretch of a vehicle... a condemnation of "Ugly as fuck " is an understatement... its like Megan foxx standing next to Janet Nopalitano...

2. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    R o C C o 5 7

R o C C o 5 7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    Pro Comp 6" lift.Icon Coilovers,Total Chaos UCAs,Magna Flow muffler,N Fab step bars,front windows titnt
    Much better in person then in pictures.The interior kind of fancy for off roading,I'm afraid to get all those gadgets dirty...haha...But who wouldn't love to have one of their own.I know I wouldn't kick her out of my garage!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Signkutter

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hehe.. Yep :D. They are both great lookin trucks...slightly different... but both are good lookin

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    DanglingFury

DanglingFury Creeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Bowling Green, KY/Lake Cumberland, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner 4x4
    Daystar 2.5"/1" lift-level BFGoodrich KO2's
    the 2012's aren't hideous but i'm afraid it's a step in the wrong direction for toyota...

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Other than Toyota screwing up the grill and headlights it doesn't look too bad...

6. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....

You own a 2011. You'd be kicking your own ass if you like the 2012. Its funny cause the biggest haters of the 2012 are the 2011 owners.

7. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    I have always loved the other 2nd gens, but it was definitely time for a change. I was excited when they said they were changing Tacomas for 2012. They should have changed the body more imho. I'm just glad they didn't make them look like the new 4Runners. I hate the new T4R.

I have a 2012 but I'm indifferent about the front end - don't like it more or less than my 2010. I DO like a lot of the other features that my 2010 did not have though!

8. Dec 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM
    80s toysport

80s toysport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikolai (Nik)
    kansas city, ks
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD off road
    Camper, nerf bars, visors, hood bug gaurd, ABS killswitch, bed light
    its a tacoma and thats all that matters to me.

9. Dec 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    :confused: That makes no sense. Don't hate cause I have an opinion different from yours. My truck has nothing to do with that retarded front end plastic conglomeration on the front of the 2012. The interior is nice but the front end is not. Seeing it in person confirmed that. The only 2012 that looks good is the color coded ones in all black, red and all white(looks like a storm trooper and I love Star Wars;)), etc.. . They also have a funky green color for the 2012 that looks like an old dark booger with shiny flakes in it. Just nasty. Nothing like the now old forest green(forgot the color name) which was a great color.

Sorry man just don't like the redesign of the same truck as mine. The price sure went up as well. I think all the trucks are out of my price range now so this 2011 will probably be the last new truck I will ever be able to afford. The prices keep going up but my pay stays the same. Go figure. :cool:

10. Dec 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Lol :D I hear ya. Ok it was probably, maybe, could a been, an overstatement on my part. Maybe. I will go with DanglingFury on his assessment. "a step in the wrong direction for Toyota".

Toyota is already hurting from the Thai floods and we will all see if sales will be hurt from this redesign. I still haven't seen one on the road here despite all the dealerships having a lot in their lots. Just don't get it and for the price I really don't get it. Maybe if the price included the same motor as the FJ? But it don't. :cool:

11. Dec 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I like the 05 - 08's better... but its not bad

12. Dec 9, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    johnnyman1

johnnyman1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OR PRE
    nerf audio
    I had the opportunity to buy a '11 or a '12. I had both side by side. Multiple choices of bodies, colors of each. After riding in both and closely examining both I chose the '12. I really liked the interior of the '12 and from the outside the '12 just looked "beefier".

Its really just a matter of preference. I thought the '11 was really nice and it was a tough decision. After having it for over a month I am confident I made the right decision for me.

13. Dec 9, 2011 at 3:39 AM
    Signkutter

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My personal favorite look on the Tacoma was the 95 model..... But like I have said before , I have never seen a stock 4x4 or Prerunner I didn't like. I totally agree with the sentiment that Toyota should have done more with the drivetrain and motor. I would bet that the 4x4 offered with the 4.6 liter V8and the 6 speed tranny would have sold like grape jelly at a salad tossing contest.

14. Dec 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I just looked over one at my dealer. I hate the exterior/front grill/bumper, they look even worse in person, I think it would probably look alright lifted though. I do love the black carpets and black center console, think I'm gonna have to source those and swap them over soon.

15. Dec 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    beacher

beacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TACOMA 4x4
    2" spacer lift in front end bf goodrich allterrain tires custom exhaust system tinted windows smelly interior
    those lights are an eyesore .. ouch. i wish toyota would go back to the old bodystyle of the 1st gens with a 4.o in there. now that would be sick!

16. Dec 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    There was an earlier 2nd gen parked beside my truck when I came out of Home Depot today and I gotta admit, now that I've seen them side by side I like the '12 better. I looks way more aggressive. I really hadn't paid that much attention to it before...still on cloud 9 over the sound system. :)

17. Dec 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....

Hey Whipper...no I havent picked one up yet. I am about 40 grand upside down in my mortgage. My interest rate sucks and I cant modify or refinance to a lower rate even with good credit. I've decided to hold off on buying the truck and pay down the mortgage for the next 8 months to a year. If I take on a $500 payment, that will just be more costly for me in the long run.

18. Dec 9, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    drwoodr

drwoodr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SR5
    side steps, heated seats, tonneau cover, rocky mounts, RAAMMat, 12v outlet in dash
    I find it interesting how differently people see the '11 and '12 front ends. I've been wanting a new truck for a couple of years, and on paper the Tacoma was the one to get, but I just thought the front end on the '11 was so boring and I hated the interior. I even test drove an '11 the day before Toyota released details of the '12. As soon as I saw the front end and interior, I was hooked, and I got a '12 DCSB the first week they were available. The dealer had the exact same truck in an '11 on the lot that I could have bought for a bit less, but there was no comparison, and all the new features were well worth the slight list price increase.

As for sales being hurt, October sales were 20% over the prior year, and November was up 8.5%, so based on sales, the '12 is winning.

19. Dec 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    I saw one for the first time yesterday... freakin sweet. It was a sport. So sexy :drool:

20. Dec 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    Agreed. Much more low profile...in a good way :cool:

Products Discussed in