1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I found out today my oem diff breather was missing!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by chmura, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    chmura

chmura [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I noticed some small residue on the back of my rear brake housing, rim, and tire. Looked like a very small oil leak from the rear axle oil seal. Nothing on the ground just a very very tiny leak apparently.

Today I changed the inner oil seal. While changing it I noticed the diff oil coming out was very dark. This was odd because I changed the diff oil less then 10k miles ago. Then I noticed my diff breather was completely gone! I went through a 3 day Majove Road trip, 3 day death valley trip, big bear, etc etc.. All this without ANY breather!

Today I ordered the union at the dealership and bought all the necessary equipment to do the diff breather mod.

I noticed very little play in my rear bearing. See pic below. It moves slightly when I pull up and down on the end of the shaft? is this normal??

Not sure why diff fluid was leaking out of the seal? If it continues to leak then I might have to change the bearing as well. But the bearing is behind the oil seal so I'm not sure if the bearing caused the leak??

[​IMG]

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Was the oil milky or just dark? Was it very low when u drained it?

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    Lots of the time a bad bearing is the cause of the oil seal failing. If your bearing has play and your seal failed, replace the bearing with the seal. It is really surprising that the breather is missing, but good you caught it. Do the breather mod and make sure you have nice clean gear lube.

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    chmura

chmura [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil was full.

Having a breather missing doesn't make diff oil splash out. There is a splash/debris guard inside the housing right under the breather.

To Top