1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I've been thinking.... Tacoma with a V8 option.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hail-bop Command, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't need or want a tacoma with a V8 when I'd rather have someting like this........ 5.7L that gets 32mpg on the highway. SaWeet!!
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:25 PM
    hail-bop Command

hail-bop Command [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I Don't Crawl I Haul A$$!
    Because the Tundra is to big & heavy and will never fit through most of the trails I go wheeling on....:)

3. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:27 PM
    hail-bop Command

hail-bop Command [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I Don't Crawl I Haul A$$!
    Hows the towing capacity or handling on the dirt?

I think everyone is starting to miss my point of having a V8 Tacoma:mad:

4. Jun 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    I like my 4 cylinder...
    It does what I need. May not be very fast, but with traffic being what it is, I don't care. I like getting good MPG. What I wonder is what happened to cars in general? They've all gotten bigger and less efficient. MY 69 vw bug got 45 mpg and was as fast as my 05 GTI (yes I modified the motor a lot; Electronic ignition, dellorto carbs, big high lift valves, better cam, custom (designed by me) merged header and exhaust) There were many cars in the late 70's and early 80's that got 50 mpg.

All this aside, Toyota is not going to offer a V8 Tacoma anytime soon. If fuel prices keep rising I bet they will introduce a truck the size of the Hilux. The market for a V8 Tacoma would not be very big, most people looking for a V8 truck want it to tow stuff. A Tundra is a bigger vehicle that can tow more. Tacomas are limited (as far as towing) by frame size and drivetrain.

And my tire pressure is banana.

5. Jun 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Ok, so you're talking about small trails that your tacoma can fit on - then you certainly don't need a V8 to get you through the trails. A 4cylinder is plenty powerful for small trails.

And no, the vette doesn't do dirt and it can't tow much. But it'd totally spank a 5.7L Tundra or a 5.7L Tacoma anyday.

Towing capacity wouldn't change much with a V8 tacoma - due to the overall design, frame structure, axle, suspension steering, transmission, and GVWR. The 4.7L V8Dodge Dakota has a towing capactiy of 6700lbs - only 200lbs more than the 4.0L V6 tacoma.

If gas prices & economy weren't so bad - it'd be fun to have a V8 tacoma. But we're already spending $30,000 on 4.0L trucks that don't even have a lot of options it should have. Get a V8 in there and you're talking more money. Then - more money ontop of that once they finally add options. And even more money if they make design changes to beef up the tranny (and everything else) that's gotta handle the power the V8 is gonna produce.

If you want a V8 in a tacoma - you're much better off slapping one in yourself. Make it a project...you'd be happier building it yourself than buying it off the shelves.

6. Jun 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    you should probably buy an M3.... or are you chicken? bwak bwak bwak!

see that it doesn't,

dont feel bad, some people just aren't classy enough to like beamers. now if you'll excuse me i need to get back to my BMW magazine and my box of wine...

yeah, i dont like the sponsered cars with all the decals. my buddy had that car except it was a dark smokey gray color. looked awesome

Beamers hate you

7. Jun 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    One question I have to pose for everyone saying that V8 Tacomas would get bad MPG... Not that they're wrong, but isn't the reason Dodge Rams have been selling recently that they get like 20 MPG with a still huge engine? I don't know how but you'd think Toyota could do the same.

8. Jun 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    aphex

aphex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC TRD OR
    Undercover Classic Tonneau, EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector, Consolevault Custom Safe, Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat!, Retro TRD Shift Knob, Factory Bed Mat, Rear Leaf TSB, 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrain KO's, KMC Enduro Wheels, Front Bilstein 5100's set @ 0" w/ Toytec/Eibach Springs, Rear 5100's, TRD Grille Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, AntennaX 14" Billet Antenna
  9. Jun 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod

Products Discussed in

To Top