1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

so just how helpful is toyota customer service?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danteisme, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Dec 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    im in a jam...let me explain from the beginning,this is on my 2005 std cab 4x4, i am the second owner since 39K miles. long read warning...

since i bought my truck ive had a strange gear sound coming from what sounded like the transmission/drivetrain. the first thing i did was change all the fluids to synthetic at right around 43K miles. noise was still there. i had it in(and have the recepit) back when she had 51K on her for the noise and hard to engage the clutch. they replaced my clutch pedal assembly and that took care of the hard to engage, but the sound was still there. nothing was ever written up for the sound so i assumed it to be normal operating noises for these transmissions. my mistake...

so lets fast forward to middle of this past summer. i brought it in again at a different dealer for what my local mechanic told me was a possible loose u joint. i also came in for a frame inspection. the tech looked at the frame which he said was fine and my u joint looked fine. i explained to him about the noise while we were under the truck and he said everything looked fine. so now thats 2 times.

fast forward to today, im at 66,800 miles. i bring my truck in for a concerning sounding tap from the engine(which just ended up bein the injectors) and while i was in i requested someone look at the gear sound again. this time, 2 techs there determined it was my rear differential. wtf....how come this wasnt determined before while i was in warranty? so they wrote me up a quote of like 2 g's to replace it. unreal...so i asked for the customer service number and left for home to find my receipts. this is part of the reason i'm in a jam i think.

1. i cant find the receipt from this summer when i took it in for the ujoint and the frame inspection.

2. on the receipt from the clutch pedal replacement, they never wrote in the description about the noise. the more i think about it, i think it was becuase i talked about it with the service writer while they were looking at the truck. you would think tho, if i said i hear a noise from my drivetrain that they would look at all of it...

so here i am, 2 months and 4 days, and 6,800 miles out of warranty. and to top it off, there is a TSB also for this (TSB 0076-08 according to the service writer)

how helpful are the customer service people? the service writer suggested i try to plea my case to them. at just under 67K miles i dont see how my rear end should be failing at all to begin with, or why the noise was never properly diagnosed until now. im worried they're gonna tell me to go pound salt becuase on my receipts it doesnt state anything about the noise in the customer states descriptiong. i talked about it with the techs everytime, but it was never written down.

am i screwed? any advice for dealing with customer service?

2. Dec 14, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Whether you're screwed just depends. The customer service rep will not decide on his/her own. They actually call and talk to the service manager at the dealership (and a regional rep). They all have to agree from what I was told. But this is an interesting situation. I know if you had it while it was new and you'd been taking to the dealership for servicing, they'd probably cover it (worst case, they'd split the cost 50/50 with you). But being the second owner, I just don't know. However, it sounds like you do take it to them regularly with problems. It'll be interesting to see whether they cover it completely. I think worst case is that they'll split the cost with you. My case was resolved within a week, but that was after I had already paid for the repairs (I was at 93K miles...well out of warranty yet they still split the cost 50/50).

3. Dec 14, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    The dealer should be able to provide you with a copy of the work order/receipt that you can't find. All the service is recorded on their computer. Might not help you though!

Alternatively .... Take it to someone other than the dealership and get it repaired for half the price.

4. Dec 15, 2010 at 3:42 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    they also quoted me on replacing the whole rear end, one completely assembled piece. they didnt want to open it up to find out exactly what was wrong in case they couldnt get it all back together. so they arent exactly sure what is causing the problem in there.

5. Dec 15, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    i think what upsets me the most is i've the truck in to the dealer since ive owned it at least 4 times for various things. every single time, one would have to drive the truck. the noise i'm hearing is very present at any speed. if you were a tech, and you heard this sound, how could you not investigate it?

i mean, what if i just assumed this was all normal sounds and let it go, and say a few more thousand miles down the road it blows out, locks up, and i wreck? dangerous. the service writer i talked to said toyota will not investigate problems on their own, only things the customer brings to their attention. how could someone in good character hear something like this, and not bring it to my attention by at least sayin hey you may wanna get this looked at.

6. Dec 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    so toyota says its up to the dealer to decide if they want to help me or not, they gave me a claim number or whatever and said the dealer will contact me within 3 business days. i'm not getting my hopes up...

7. Dec 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    If you create a profile with your VIN on the "Toyota Owners Online" site you should be able to see all the service records for your vehicle. I do all my own maintainence and it allows you to enter you own service data also. Good luck and don't stop fighting!

https://auth2.toyota.com/owners/index.html

8. Dec 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    thanks, im trying to stay positive with this whole thing. i told the customer service rep yesterday that i switched to toyota due to the "bullet proofness" of motors and trannys and overall their excellent reliability and that a major drivetrain component failing at such low mileage is unaccpetable.

9. Dec 17, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    well, after much discussion the most toyota is gonna do for me is $500 towards the repairs so that would put me right around 1500 plus tax out of pocket....effffffff

10. Dec 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    Dealers have in the service dept what is called goodwill. This is a set amount of money given to the dealer from the manufacturer to help customers out who are just out of warranty. The dollar amount varies depending on the type of store, overall sales and C.S.I. (customer service index). If you are a "GOOD" customer than the Service Mgr. can decide to help you out depending on the amount of money the repair is. Usally set for regular customers who come to that dealer and have regular maint done. Now if Toyota is helping you out with $500 that really is alot more than most people would get. I have to stress with anyone dealing with the service dept. KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS!!! They are not us to that. Everyone comes in with a complaint and a chip on their shoulder because they feel that their car should never break. Trust me working as a service advisor for the last 10yrs I have seen it all. If you can get in good with an advisor that will lead to getting to know a tech. :anonymous:

11. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    im gettin a second opinion this week on my rear diff from a guy i've known for years. he has never steered me wrong since he's been helpin me out with my cars so i'm curious what he will say.

12. Dec 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    Vandergrift, PA
    Vehicle:
    well, i had the guy look at it and give me his opinion. he's 90% sure its not the rear end, but he wants to do something first to make sure. when i took my truck to toyota in august and had them look at my u joints, he said the were fine. the guy i took my truck to said both the front and rear are shot. there was a ton of play in the driveshaft. so he suspects my problems could be solved with new u joints. i have to order them in, and then he;'ll throw them on and we shall see. i'll update as soon as i get the work done.

To Top