1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

so pissed at toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nastyblowpop, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    thenomad

thenomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Way
    Kennebunkport, ME
    Well that should be Toyota's fault for not having some sort of protectant to stop debris. I mean it is an offroad truck is it not? Are they expecting people to not hit it hard?

What were you doing in the mud?

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    it takes a pretty excessive amount of mud to kill an alternator too...

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Can't hurt to write them a letter and be the squeaky wheel! Just as long as you're calm I think you have a chance at getting it covered as a "customer satisfaction" allowance. But usually the term "manufacture's defect" is in the warranty somewhere. So the question would be what consitutes a defect? Does a warranty cover damage to a low hanging alternator? I personally think that your salesman was blowing smoke when he sold you that warranty.

4. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    It should be covered, the analogies of running into a tree aren't the same thing. How about you bought a new corvette, camaro or mustang (you fill in the blank) and were doing a burnout and broke something in the drive train. The dealership could realistically look at the computer and see how high the RPM's had been run up and say you were abusing it when it broke. As far as they know you hit some mud at a high rate of speed(50-70mph) that had washed down on the road.
    Bottom line its boils down to the service manager and mechanic that looked at it and making the call.
    So I would say take it to another dealership unless your extended warranty is good only through the dealership you went to.

5. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    those of you who keep saying that you couldve just hit a mud puddle at a high rate of speed...its going to take a LOT more mud than you can get in a puddle splashing around to kill that alternator...

I've killed one...it took 4 years of hard wheeling to do it...Luni did it to his '10 but it took an EXCESSIVE amount of mud...Hodge even went neck deep at least twice in red NC clay mud and didnt kill his

*edit* correction...Hodge's did die too

6. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    It was operater caused...if the alternator was defective the warranty would most likely cover it.

7. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Are you for real? ANYTHING will fail if you abuse it.

8. Dec 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

The truck is quite capable off road. However, If you read the warranty, it reads "...against defects in materials or workmanship....". In no way is mud in the alt., a defect in any of those. Its self inflicted. If your gonna beat a truck off road, then fine. Be prepared to open your wallet. Quite honestly, I have seen Toyota warranty much more than any dealer/manufacture should.

To add:

You have no idea how disgraced I am listening to this BS about this being a warranty issue. What kind of "gimmie gimmie" society are you folks (used loosely) turning into, in which you go out, break somthing, and feel the manufacture is responsible for the repair? The alternator in these trucks is in the same location as its been for years. There are shit loads of people who wheel the piss out of their trucks, and dont have an issue with it.

9. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    I agree with Chris4X4. The alternator is one of the highest belt driven accessories, I think toyota designed well if they did no it would be on the bottom. I am sure the OP is not being forthcoming with all of the facts. Most warranty companies will give you the benefit of the doubt if they cant prove anything. Obviously it is obvious that abuse occurred. I really hate how people break things a just expect it to be covered under any kind of warranty. Oh I scratched my headlight should be warranty b/c they should not scratch. Give me a break. You broke it...you have to pay to play. Shell out the money get it fixed and consider it a lesson learned.

10. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    HusqyRider

HusqyRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    La Mirada, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Bilsteins, HD Bakflip G2, Popnlock
    x1000000

11. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I agree with what they're saying about user error.

But at the same time, send the letter off anyways! The worst they can do is tell you to GFY

12. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    on 2nd thought, nevermind

13. Dec 16, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Show them this Toyota ad. Looks like mud to me.

[​IMG]

14. Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    acmair

acmair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    That taco in the ad looks like a cartoon. wow. Also, why does it mention 245 HP and 282 lb-ft of torque, when it's less than that?

But yeah, I hate to say it OP, but it wasn't a defect or wear and tear. Things are covered, but not abuse and or an error on your part. I don't mean to come off rude, but like Chris said, it's not a warranty issue. Best of luck in getting it fixed!

15. Dec 17, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock

So does this mean if something like a meteor hits your truck, toyota should warranty that too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OtbXmu9kg

16. Dec 17, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    thenomad

thenomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Way
    Kennebunkport, ME
  17. Dec 17, 2010 at 3:55 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    How did they prove beyond shadow of a doubt it was the mud that caused it to fail. I say it was coincidence that your alternator failed sametime a little after you wheeled it. :D

This is why i dont do extended warranty's beyond the factory. It always turns into a pissing match.

18. Dec 17, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Now you can be happy you spent a bunch of hard earned money on that platinum warranty that they won't cover your damages. It is a scam, they should call it Platinum Profit, they collect your money and then start out on every claim trying to get you to pay. Otherwise you are taking money out of the profit. By the way, it will not be covered under your insurance either. The policies will not cover mechanical or electrical breakdown or failure. I think that you should write a letter and print off the picture above and send it with the letter. IMO this should have been covered under the warranty. If you collide with a tree while offroad they could justify denying the claim under warranty and your insurance would cover a collision loss. Believe me that you will fight for every warranty claim with them. I have had the same experience with Toyota including denying a loaner when they had my vehicle overnight, (I got one after an argument) and the same treatment at Lexus deny the warranty work and loaner unless the customer fights. Good Luck trying to get your money back.

19. Dec 17, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    I work for a dealership, and our service dept. CAN and DO get warranty repairs covered for customer's vehicles that probably shouldn't have been covered under warranty to begin with.......it's virtually up to the dealer and how they submit the claim -- it's all about verbage and how the failure is described for Corp. to allow the claim ( as long as the failed parts condition concur with the claim ).......if you write a letter, make sure to include a copy to the dealership that veto'd your repair coverage -- that can usually spark some "at right" attitudes from them to get you a refund or at the very least, a partial refund to keep you happy.........especially since this repair bill isn't very expensive in comparison to an engine / trans replacement due to "alleged" abuse.

20. Dec 17, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    bailerc

bailerc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    yea, my take is, if your gonna take it off the road, shit is gonna break, period. also if you were in that much mud/water to drown your alternater, did you do the diff breather mod, that might be something to check into... milky is bad

Products Discussed in

To Top