1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So, tell me about Pole Hill Road.

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by StainlessSteelRatt, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Jun 12, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    StainlessSteelRatt

StainlessSteelRatt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Icon, SPC, OME Dakar, Mobtown
    I've done only light off-roading for a lot of years (my DD is a '98 Taco SR5 - no mods), I'm looking to up my game a bit now that I have a new toy (2016 Tacoma TRDOR).

How is Pole Hill Road for newbs? Some of the video I've seen looks like it's fun, but would we get into any trouble taking it on stock?

My buddy a has a 4-Runner Trail (with new, but not so great tires), would we be OK?

2. Jun 12, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    Well, if it ain't Slippery Jim DiGriz...

3. Jun 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    StainlessSteelRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
  4. Jun 15, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    StainlessSteelRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    NO idea who you're talking about.

I never ran for president, I never went to Hell, nor have I ever saved the world...:quickdraw:

skootx[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
  6. Jun 16, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    Age315

Age315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Yeti Mobile
    TRD Baja Kit with JBA UCA's 1/2 inch spacer on top, Medium Dakars with BAMF hangars and super bumps all around. 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on graphite TRD faux beadlock wheels. Pro skid powder coated black with Pelfreybilt aluminum mid skid and aluminum gas tank skid.
    Well I guess since I was in the video I have to respond. Hahaha! I was driving the silver LJ. This was a few years ago when there was that fire up by Estes I don't remember the name of it. The trail isn't bad you have to have good tire placement in a few spots and you may have to do some multi point turns because of the long wheel base and washed out turns cause you flex hard. When you get close to the top and you see that wooden fence that area was a little tight if I remember correctly and that was up and back out but there was room up there to park. The one hill where we were filming all of us I think was the worst part if I remember correctly. I was on 33's with 2in suspension and 1in body lift if that helps. The guy filming was in a JK with 32's and a 2in spacer lift. The yellow Rubicon was on 31's with no lift and blown shocks and had no problems. I think you will be ok especially with the locker. The only thing I can think of would be the wheel base and departure angle. It was a few years ago and may have changed since then as all trails do over the years. Use your best judgement, watch your tire placement and walk it if you are unsure and can't see what your about to do. Oh yeah never go alone and have some kind of recovery gear. I'd like to know how you do because I'd like to do this one again in my ORDCSB if I ever get the time to get out in the mountains.

7. Jun 16, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    Age315

Age315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Yeti Mobile
    TRD Baja Kit with JBA UCA's 1/2 inch spacer on top, Medium Dakars with BAMF hangars and super bumps all around. 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on graphite TRD faux beadlock wheels. Pro skid powder coated black with Pelfreybilt aluminum mid skid and aluminum gas tank skid.
    I would also recommend airing down if you don't especially if your tires aren't the greatest.

8. Jun 18, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    StainlessSteelRatt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDOR DCSB 4X4
    Hey - that's awesome that's your video! It likely saved me a lot of pain and embarrassment. I'm certainly not ready for that.

Like I said, I'm used to open diffs and no mods and where those will get you, so I'm pretty new at anything like this. Some of the places I've been where I thought it was a little rough before probably only rank at maybe a 3 or 4 with Traildamage's rating system. For example, I've never aired-down for anything.

What are some of the best resources on how to properly use recovery gear? Like, how to properly attach/use a snatch strap or using a come-along without damaging trees or hurting yourself or your rig? I see plenty of lists for what you need (as a formerly avid hiker I'm well familiar with survival gear), but without knowing how to use it all correctly it's pretty useless.

Is there a "Wheeling for Dummies" book or something out there somewhere?

9. Jun 18, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    skootx

skootx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    I've never done this trail, but it looks do-able in a stock 4X4. There seem to be easier bypasses around the toughest obstacles.

My advice- organize or go on a 3-4 rated trail run in Colorado Upcoming Events thread. Do some easy runs and get a feel for your truck and capabilities. Watch a LOT of YouTube vids of trail runs, and also for using recovery gear. When you get a hi-lift or winch, find somewhere to practice what you see on CREDIBLE YouTube vids.

Hit me up if you want to hit some easy stuff, I'm still getting back into this and like the 3-4 rated trails best.

Lifeofbrian likes this.
  10. Jun 20, 2016 at 4:06 PM
    Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Longing for the far East

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TUNDRA 5.7 Rock Warrior
    Stuff
    Im also up for some of the easier stuff but i think i could handle this one too.

Products Discussed in

To Top