1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So the dealer just called and offered to buy my truck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RevHard6, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Aug 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    RevHard6

RevHard6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    No, I told her that would be the only way I'd be interested was to get a 4x4. I like my Prerunner just fine. :D

So, me and the SO did a little recon at the dealership yesterday just for kicks since we were in the area. There were plenty of DCabs there, but no OR models (so I guess that was a legit request). The funny thing was, they had the EXACT FJ I told the salesperson to find info for me: a 4x4 in Army Green :eek::D

The bottom line is practicality for me right now. I only have so many payments left on the 08 and hopefully we'll be having some rugrats in the next couple years. 4 (full size) doors and no truck payments will help with that. And I actually use my truck bed for hauling stuff. As much as a new FJ would be fun, I'd rather save the funds for the project FJ40 I've always wanted to do.

I may still go by just to see what they offer. My white truck is damn filthy at the moment and has a new crack in the windshield. :p

2. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    wow the '08 is in demand, I was at the dealership friday getting my tpms sensor
    looked at. and they offered a '11 trd 4x4 for $27,900
    and the tpms sensor was not covered under the warranty $166 i said yes they said no
    paid $66

3. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Agree that much of this is sales tactics, however my wife works for a very large dealer used car auction and I hear some of the info.

Many of the used car auctions are not moving the volume of cars they did in the recent past. The used cars are not there. Part of this had to do with the cash for clunkers. In regards to the newer stuff, not everyone is jumping on buying a new car or truck with the economy and jobs what they currently are.

She does mention, that the used cars sold at auction many times will sell for prices above book values, and often can mean little profit on many.

Uncommon or high end used cars are a smokin' deal right now...if you have the play money to buy one.

If you do pursue this, I would ask them how much for your truck outright cash...let them think you may be buying a brand they do not sell. Know the book values and you will know how special you and your truck really are.

With the current interest rates, and a very good trade in amount, you may come out in very good shape, but it won't be an even swap.

PK

BTW, I get emails and regular mail letters about the dealership asking me to sell it back to them.

4. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    Holy shit, what's up Nate?!

5. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  6. Aug 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got the same offer when I had my '09. It's a win win for them. They get to screw you on your old truck and then screw you when they sell you the new one. I wouldn't do it.

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 12:50 AM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
  8. Aug 29, 2011 at 1:58 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Well look at it like this. Kbb around 12.5k, they'll sell it for 18k, I wouldn't take less than 15k from them. If they truly have a buyer they will still make out with 3k profit.
    As for the new truck I wouldn't pay them more than 28.5k for a dcsb trd OR.

9. Aug 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Two months ago I got a call from "Jerry the used car sales manager' at the dealership telling me they want to buy the 2008 truck I haven't had for over a year. I told him I traded it in because I got tired of them being so rude and trying to rip me off at the service dept. So please, put that in your notes that I am no longer an owner.

I got a call a month ago from the same guy Jerry to buy back the same truck. I told him the same thing, the same reason and asked him AGAIN to please take me off of his list.

Two weeks ago I got a call from Jerry again. I reminded him of his last two calls and asked him if there is any way that you can PLEASE take my name off of your list because things like this is why I had to trade the truck in, in the first place!! He hung up on me.

The next time he calls, I'm going to drive down there in my Toyota and have a little chat with him.

10. Aug 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Exactly. It's like something straight out of "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Sales 101 is all about framing the offer to make the customer believe that they are getting a "deal" that is too good to pass up when in the end it really is no deal for the customer.

I bought a cherry 2004 Double Cab with 20K miles on ebay once from a private owner for $2000 below KBB, and saw the same exact truck on the dealers lot for $6000 more than I paid on ebay. I have no idea why anyone would pay that much for a used truck on a dealer lot. Extended warranty and peace of mind from buying from a dealer rather than private I guess??

I have a feeling a lot of the dealer markup on used vehicles comes from tacking on cost of extended warranties which seldom end up paying for themselves.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    hmmm. Funny. I used to get letters from the subaru dealership like that all the time.

12. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    Scarab21

Scarab21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tint, tinted tails + 3rd brake light, shaved tailgate, painted calipers. TSB Leafs+ AAL, PA/CB, 5100 Bilsteins set @ 2.5 up front. Satoshi line-x'd grill.
    so did you go in?

any update?

ill trade my 2.5yr old truck for a brand new one.. thats about it. (oh with 4x4 btw)

13. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    They do that around here too all the time.

I got a letter from a Toyota dealer saying "their records indicate I owned certain late model vehicle(s) they were seeking to boost their used inventory." At the time I didn't own any Toyotas and nothing more valuable than a 7 year old (and beat up) Isuzu Rodeo.

14. Aug 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    RevHard6

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    Hey Tam :D long time, not see.

No, I skipped the appointment as I ended up getting busy yesterday. Don't really need a new truck and additional payments at this time. If they really want it, they can call again.

And just for grins, here's the FJ I saw on the lot on my recon. :drool: :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    RevHard6

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    11 DC OR 4x4
    They called and left a message tonight trying to sweeten the pot. "The new FJ or 4x4 DCab at the same or cheaper payments". LOL Hmmm. maybe we'll see what they offer at the end of the week.

I will say I'm curious....

16. Aug 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    That FJ is sweet!!!!:drool:

17. Aug 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    sometimes they are just looking to buy a certain car, we had a 2007 4runner sport listed on cl for sale for less than one day listed it at private party value, we owned it outright and wanted to sell it as it was our third vehicle and use the money to buy a boat, which toyota obviously doesnt sell. the evening that i listed it a local dealer called and offered me 500 bellow my list price and bought it from me that day, never even asked if i wanted to buy a car from them. i assumed they had a buyer but they said they just wanted white 4 runner sports on the lot, when i looked at the website 2 weeks later there it was .rare but a pretty easy deal.

18. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    I'd explore it. Nobody will make you do it in the end but yourself. You have the upper hand in the situation. See what they have to offer and if its not an excellent deal tell them to pound dirt.

19. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    lol dealers are scum bag bastards lol.

a used car manager will test drive your truck and put a number on it and i'm positive it will be much lower than your where expecting.

not only that but to my knowledge and i have worked in the car business for 20 years.

used cars are not selling worth a shit. so for the dealer to say there lot is empty i would guess they are trying to impart to you that they sold them all?

sounds to me like they sent all the cars they had on there floor plan to auction to pay off there debt and now have no used inventory to fill a customers possible needs but, it still is almost absolutely a screw job.

if i where you i would not waste my time unless you where already considering purchasing a car or truck to replace your current tacoma with.

20. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Haha nobody ever said it better :D

Products Discussed in

To Top