1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

so we never did find the source of that AC compressor clutch grind noise?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I live in South Florida and our normal driving mode is with the A/C never, ever turned off. This is the land of swimming stnading up in the summer and you want that A/C cranking on HIGH just as fast as you can.

I have heard the clutch engagement noise in my '09 a few times for only a few seconds each time. I don't want to ever hear it again.

New operating mode for my Taco is A/C off before turning engine off and turning A/C back on after engine is running. A little sweat will be well worth not hearing that grinding sound.

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    Fatal Exile

Fatal Exile Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5, 4X4, LB, Double
  3. Sep 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

I think this has some merit... I've heard a 1-2 second grinding noise 5 times in my truck and each time I noticed either the A/C was left on after it was shut off the day before or my wife drove it last (and I don't know what she did). I've been turning mine off before turning the truck off ever since, 3 1/2 months ago through a moderately hot summer here in NC, and it hasn't happened since.

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    shook0002

shook0002 "The Fuzz"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    '08 Doublecab 4X4 SR5
    Mine does it every now and then, my '06 ranger did it too. I believe its a slight rust formation between the hub and clutch face that forms when it hasn't ran overnight. Kinda like the light rust you get on the rotors after they sit for a few days, but clear up with use. It also shouldn't matter if you leave the a/c on or off when you turn the truck off, its basically a electromagnet that has no power going to it when the key is off.

5. Nov 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    lowzone

lowzone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Earth aka NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM AC 2.7L 5 spd SR5
    future plan of 2" drop and any type of rim thats not a steelie. grille and BHLM mods, maybe....
    my 2010 does it too, if you have the truck sit overnight. AC on or off, it grinds for a few seconds and you feel the vibration go thru the truck. im not thrilled with my 2010s AC. its cool at best, takes 20 minutes to get the access cab cold and im talking 70-75 on a 95 degree day. have a few issues like my TOB noise and clutch slipped bad on a hill. anyway, the noise only happens in the hot weather so im stuck till summer. will complain about the cool ac though, maybe one has to do with the other.

6. Jul 23, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    mattski81

mattski81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR
    This is literally what I get, it's like a diesel motor turning on and off as the car idles, generally goes away fully at higher speeds, especially on the HWY. But when it sits on lights, etc, it turns on and off every few moments... roughly about 15 second intervals. The AC never stops blowing cold when the sound goes away. Have you every figured out what it was, and what the eventual fix was? I really want it to be quieter damn it!

Products Discussed in

To Top