1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So whats the cheapest suspension set up to replace a non-TSB one?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sickspeed, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    sickspeed

sickspeed [OP] Member

Member:
    the dealership denied doing the TSB on my truck because its over the mileage. I dont really want or need to lift it but i would like to have it level and a tad higher in the front than it is now so i dont get rubbing with 265/75/16 tires. i have an 06 access 4x4 sr5 non-trd. suggestions are much appreciated. thanks!

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    nuddle

nuddle nuddle

Member:
    First Name:
    aleese
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC Longbed 4x4
    BHLM, custom painted interior pieces, simple sound system
    my truck is completely stock with some really crummy 265/70R17 goodyear tires and mine don`t seem to rub at all. from what i have read the bilsteins 5100s are a good shock and they are adjustable in the front. you can set the shocks so your truck sits level. hope this helps!

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    sickspeed

sickspeed [OP] Member

Member:
    should i swap out the springs too or add spacers to match the slightly higher height? and what about the rear leafs? AALs seem to be the route to take but im fine with the height now, its just the ride quality when loaded up that sucks. I dont have the tsb done. Also, i have 245/75/16 tires now and they rub if i brake/flex and turn at the same time.

4. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    You should also be able to pick up a set of TSBs around here. I recall seeing them in the $50-$75 range.

5. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    sickspeed

sickspeed [OP] Member

Member:
    basically the parts that wouldve been installed had the tesb been done on my truck?

6. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    brandob9

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I'm sorry, I should have been a little more verbose in my last response to make it more clear.

Yes, the "TSBs" I was referring to are the 4-leaf springs that Toyota would have installed on your truck had they fulfilled the TSB for you. Some guys have had them on, then changed out to something else later, so they come up for sale on this site from time to time.

I hope that was a better answer. :)

7. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    brandob9

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Have you considered airbags? These are inflatable rubber bladders that sit between your frame and your springs/axle. When you have a heavy load, inflate them, but you get to keep your nice ride when you aren't laden.

Take a look at these. You can probably find them for less elsewhere, but that was 5s of searching.

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I think AAL is the cheapest.
    A set of updated TSB takeoffs would be pretty smart, too.
    No need to mess with shocks...those are no help at all.
    I ordered airbags and will install next weekend.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I did the cheapest cause thats how i roll... an AAL for the rear from Toytec and a set of bilsteen 5100s in the front set at 2.5. I was then able to upgrade to 285s. Heres how i sit now:

[​IMG]

10. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    sickspeed

sickspeed [OP] Member

Member:
    Does it even matter if the TSB has been done if you go with the AAL (rear) and 5100s (fronts)? did you do the shocks in the rear too and are those the 285s in the pic? thanks!

11. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    If you have the rear spring TSB you can still get an AAL from Toytec, you just have to get the Rear Spring TSB AAL. Its awesome. I didnt get to get the TSB however.. so.. yah, and yes, actually i have 5100s on all four corners, and those are the BF Goodrich TA KOs 285s in the picture.

Products Discussed in

To Top