1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So what's the Problem?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Choco Taco, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mar 31, 2009 at 1:55 AM
    Choco Taco

Choco Taco [OP] Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    2" Lift 265/75/16' MT's Homemade Prerunner Bar
    Mmk. so my pickup has been making the whirring noise that usually signals that a power steering pump is going out, I've known about it, and i've just been too busy and broke that I put it off. Now it has evolved to the whirring noise with a growling that usually means that the bearing are shot, but i'm not so sure its the PS pump, may actually be the water pump.

My only sign that its the PS pump is the fact that the noise is louder when I'm near the passenger wheel than on the driver's side. It doesnt lose fluid or anything.

I'm hoping its the PS pump, cuz hey I can do that in my parking lot. Water Pump not so much....PS pump is a loooooot cheaper for me too

Anyway, say it is the PS pump, should i replace anything else while I'm at it? I just replaced every drive belt like 3k miles ago. I'm thinking I'll just replace the PS pump and pulley, and the tensioner pulley since I didnt do that when I did my belts.

Any help would be appreciated guys

I'm not an expert with mechanical stuff, but i can handle this. I usually just make em look pretty :D

2. Mar 31, 2009 at 2:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you ever replaced the A/C idler ?

That's one of the first things that goes bad & squeels on the 1st gen trucks (3.4L anyway).

It's the little idler at the lowest part of the truck. Easy fix....and costs like $35 or so from the dealer.

If you can locate the proper bearings, you can easily press-out the old bearings and press-in new ones. The key is...finding the proper bearings. I tried this myself and the bearings I was given (at bearing shop) couldn't handle the rpm's and all the grease oozed out within a day. So I ended up taking it out and buying the OEM part.

I would take the A/C belt off and spin the A/C idler by hand. If you can feel any rough spots in it, then most likely that's your problem (or should be replaced anyway).

3. Mar 31, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    Choco Taco

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    I guess I didnt even consider that. I always think PS/Water pump. AC is also on the Passenger side. will attempt to take the belt off this weekend, that is if the 13 inches of snow we're supposed to get doesn't happen

4. Apr 5, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    Choco Taco

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    Ok. So I decided to have it checked out, All ulleys and bearings are good. they said its something behind the timing cover. Cam Gear? I really pray to god its simple and not damaged

5. Apr 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    When was the lst time the timing belt was replaced?

6. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Choco Taco

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    Not since I've owned it.....yeah....might wanna get on that

7. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    when you replace the timing belt do the water pump too, since you have to take off the timing belt to get to the water pump and the water pump probably will need to be replaced soon too. it will save you in labor in the long run.

To Top