1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

so when you bought your auto, what was the test drive like?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tac 2009, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    Tac 2009

Tac 2009 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 09 SR5
    was the guy a douche? did he oversell? was he/she quiet? hell, was it a good looking girl/guy? did you see an alligator on someones lap (the latter may happen)

share your stories here

2. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    The guy was informative about the truck and wasn't a overzealous douche canoe...

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Test drove a 2nd gen once the guy told me to drive it like I stole it just don't wreck it hahaa :cool:

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    DeanoCA

DeanoCA Dean

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wheatland CA
    Vehicle:
    11, Tacoma, Sport, DDL Cab, Long Bed
    Nurf Bars 1.5 Lift (Front), EOF Replacement Air Filter, Leer Shell, Tailget Lock, Okole Front Seat Covers, Air Bags
    Went into the dealer started signing paperwork and he asked me how the test drive went.... told him we hadn't.... I didn't need to drive it I already knew what I wanted.... Saleman more concerned about the sale survey I would be taking... Love my truck...

5. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    Salesman didn't even go with me, access cab and we all no there is absolutely no room for an adult in the rear seats. Took the wife instead and he didn't mind at all. Drove it like I stole it. 1st impression was what a ball less POS! But i realized after researching that the potential and after market for tacomas that this would eventually be a bad ass truck, even for a 4 banger. My wife thought i was nuts that I was getting rid of the Titan. Just wished I would have bought a new crew cab back '04. I love the 1st gens.

6. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Dealer didn't ride with me but the first time I drove mine. I was taken back by all the vibes and steering knock in the wheel, tire band's were separated, but it's all fixed now. I drove the fuck out of it full throttle up about 80, dealership is right by a freeway, hard braking, found a parking lot and did a few circles to listen for suspension noises, had it inspected, drove it sanely back to the dealer and signed papers.

7. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I pretty much knew what I wanted when I walked onto the lot, there wasn't much the salesman could say. I test drove about 12 trucks and small SUVs at different dealerships, including a couple Tacomas. Most of the dealerships didn't require that the salesman go with me, and the Toyota dealer didn't even ask for my driver's license before handing me the keys and turning me loose with their truck. :D Silly, silly Toyota dealership. Hahaha I guess they knew I'd bring that speedway blue back and get a nicer color anyway (no offense, SWB folks, just not my color at all).

8. Feb 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    I usually start informing the sales person facts about the vehicle they didn't know, tends to quiet them down quite a bit.

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I hate those salesman that don't know what they are doing. I once had a BMW guy tell me that the 3series that he was trying to sell me and my father had over 1200 fox power he said "It's like horsepower but more precise."

10. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    acmair

acmair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP PreRunner Dbl Cab Short Bed SR5
    My first test drive was alright. The guy was quiet, he'd answer any questions I asked, I asked him a few trick questions like the ratio for the LSD on the trucks and he knew em so I took him seriously. It was a short drive, but since it was my first test drive it was a hell of a lot of fun, and after then I knew the Tacoma was the perfect truck. Second test drive was annoying. The guy kept tryin to sell it to me, he even stated that the normal sr5 tacomas have jbl stereo systems but they just dont write jbl. i never did research on that so can't say if true or not, but that just doesn't sound right to me.

11. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    Being young when I went out to buy my 2012 I got ignored at a lot of dealerships I finally got fed up (even the sales people were ignoring me when i ask to check out the tacomas) and was going to call it a day but on my way out the assistant floor manager came running out asking if I needed help. He then showed me the Tacoma and we test drove it, wasn't pushy about the sale and was a honest guy. I then bought the car that day and drove it home. :)

12. Feb 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road

I look a lot younger than I am, and I had a guy friend with me, and at first the salesman directed everything to him, but he got the point pretty quick when my friend would just look at me and wait for the answer. LOL Salesman was a pretty decent guy though, it was all good.

13. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    He let me drive it to the bank to pick up the check.

14. Feb 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    i knew 10,000X more than the sales rep did. i told him dont even try to make stuff up about the engine or vehicle anemities because i would know if he was bs'ing me. he was like, ok then lets go for a drive and see how you like it lol. it was stickered at 32000 and i walked out the door at 28,500 the next day

15. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    I pretty much knew what I wanted, gf was with me so guy said you guys can go. I drove it like I was never gonna drive again for about a mile, then turned around and signed papers. Didn't take long to realize how much I loved it especially since its my second one and coming from a reg cab 5 speed to a dcsb trd or. It's amazing.

16. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    skiracer0112

skiracer0112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver Double Cab 6-speed TRD OR
    The first guy at the dealership that I ultimately bought from was an idiot. He swore up and down that Toyota had not made a manual in a Taco since '99. When I showed him the manuals on his lot, including the one I ended up purchasing he said that it was another style of shifter on an auto. I didn't even stick around for a test drive that day.

Since I bought through the Costco buying program they put me in touch with the same dealer's internet sales manager and I worked with him mostly on the purchase. He was very helpful and not pushy or a douche. It was clear shortly after talking with him for 5 minutes that I knew more about the truck than he did and I actually taught him some things about the specs. It was kinda funny to me that reading through these forums and toyotas website for a week or two that I could know more than a guy that had been selling them for years. All that said in the end I had a good buying experience and ended up with a great truck.

17. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    i didnt even pay attention to him.

i knew what i was dealing with when testing my used certified Taco

18. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    My guy sat in the back seat, and me and the wife sat in the front. I took it up a steep cobblestone (aka belgium block, which ever you prefer to call it ) hill, at a pretty good speed. It was fun to see him bouncing around in the back. He sat back there pretty quietly.

19. Feb 20, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Leonardtown, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 TRD Off Road DC SR5
    Bed Topper, Diff Breather, aFe Cold Air Intake, Satoshi Grill, Moved Horns, Oil Catch Can, Tailgate Lock, Husky Mud Flaps, H4 65/70W Bulbs, Lower Grill Mesh, TRD Skid Plate, LEDs in the bed, LEDs behind the grill for accent lighting, Parking lights as turn signals, LED turn signals and reverse lights, 5100s up front, eibachs up front, SS extended brake lines all around, 1.5" AAL in the rear, Relentless Fab U-Bolt Flip Kit, ICON Progressive AAL, TRD Wheel Center Caps, HomeLink, Heated Driver Seat, Hella 500 FF Driving Lights, BAMF Diff Skid, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Rock Sliders w/ KickOut.
    I test drive a lot for fun, when I went looking for Tacomas the guy at the Toyota dealership was very informative, and brought out a TRD Off Road and a TRD Sport to help me decide and see the difference, he let me drive the one while he drove the other and then we switched mid drive. Was really nice.

Also drove a BMW 5 Series, broke 110 on the highway and the guy didn't say a thing. Later drove the 2011 Ford Focus and the guy got real angry when I hit 65, he was a bit of an ass. Then drove a used Pontiac G8 V6 and got crap from the guy about how I should know how it drives and don't need to drive it, ended up driving it after some talking. Finally I went to a Chevy dealership and they wouldn't let me drive the V6 Camaro, fuck Chevy for that, my wife seriously wanted one, and Chevy said that people that buy the Camaro already know how it drives, and then I drove a Cruze (Turbo) and the guy didn't even know it was a Turbo, I started telling him all about the car and felt like I was selling it to him...

With my actual, used, Tacoma, I called and told them I was borrowing it for the night, and they were a little put off, told them I won't consider buying it unless I can take it home for the night and look it over, and after they realized I was serious they said ok, went and picked it up, looked it over and took the keys to drive it home, drove back up the next morning with it and bought it.

20. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I did the same with my '06 and '10 ... I knew what it was ... knew what was in the package ... knew what I wanted ... (does that make me a "know-it-all?)... I looked at the salesman and said, "Do you have any questions?" ... too funny.

To Top