1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So you get called by a detective to appear in court...

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 0uTkAsT, May 26, 2011.

1. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Do you *have* to show up? They want me to testify as a witness in a DUI/hit-and-run that happened over a year ago. The trial is in the middle of the week and would cause me to miss work. Can I do a recorded statement or anything instead? I just got promoted again and I'm supposed to be training that week. Missing work would really suck ass.

ETA: Internet legal advice FTW!

2. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    Just keep in mind that without your testimony they may not be able to make the case, and a drunk driver will get off scott free

3. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    True I guess, but from what I understand this individual has a history of DUIs, so shouldn't it be a pretty open and shut case?

What happened was they rear-ended me and fled the scene. I saw the driver was a blonde female as she drove away, and I included that in my report. When DPS stopped the car a few blocks away, apparently a man was driving and the blonde female was in the passenger seat. The blonde owned the car and it was insured under her name but her license was suspended because of a prior DUI. Both driver and passenger failed the sobriety test and both were arrested based on my report that the female was driving.

I guess maybe they can't use my report if I don't appear or something? It's just crappy timing, and they only gave me 6 days notice, not even enough time to put in PTO for the day I'll be missing or anything.

4. rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    how long will it take? can you work a half day and still make it? im sure the boss will understand.

5. jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    tint, dents, scratches, two blown speakers and trying to pay her off...
    unless you're launching a space shuttle, i don't see how your boss would/could hold you from going or punish you in anyway for taking off.

6. Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    wow-its a damn if you do and damn if you dont situation.

7. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I work 5am - 1:30pm and the court appearance is around 10am on the opposite side of the Valley from where I work. I might be able to get a couple hours in in the morning and fly over there but hardly enough time to be worth the trouble.
    I'm a manager in a legal/finance department for the world's largest payment processor. Missing one day of work, even training, can cause a week of ticket backlogs in the queues I work.
    Pretty much. I don't want to see the woman walk but if it's possible my testimony is just the "nail in the coffin" that could be achieved with a recorded statement or affidavit instead I'd much rather do that.

8. brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma TRD Offroad sr5
    3" fabtech fox front, 2.5" DAKAR/Bilstein 5100 rear
    x2. Your going to court. Its not like your on a hangover and don't want to show up to work

9. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    Prior criminal record does NOT equal guilty this go round

I think you should talk to your boss first chance and explain that you were rear ended by a drunk and you have to be in court on that day etc etc

10. snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    crap bolted and welded together....
    IDK about your state, but in oregon its against the law for a business to make you work when you have a court request. They cant doc you more pay then what will be missed, or fire you or punish you in anyway.

But to the OP, just call the court or whoever is handling the case and see if a supervised recorded statement is sufficient and explain your circumstances, best i got for ya..

11. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    That's for jury duty, etc. This is different, from what I understand.
    Ah... I trust your word on this. I'll have to talk with my RVP to see what can be done.

ETA: I just checked my voicemail, they're subpoenaing me to appear anyways so I have no choice lol. At least with a subpoena I have something to show the VP when I tell her. The detective is supposedly going to serve me in person, I'll just call him in the morning and make it easy on him.

12. mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakar leafs, LED conversion, RBP sidesteps, Nitto Trail Grapplers, AR ATX Artillery 16" wheels, Doug Thorley LTH/Pipe Bomb, TRD Exhaust W/Classic Chambered Powerstick, Lightend Flywheel
    Advice --> :boink: <-- OuTkAsT

That's a question you might want to ask a professional

13. jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    well hey i respect that, but at the end of the day, i would think you would have to go. and on a moral/possibly legal standpoint definitely (IMHO) should go.

and to snowgod, yes, i believe that's also the law in NC.

14. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I hear you, but
    doesn't matter now anyways haha.

BTW, the detective sounded like he was having the longest week of his life. Maybe it'll make his day to have something go smoothly for him.

15. jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    wow. well, question answered then lol. have fun?!

16. snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    i agree with just calling him tomorrow and telling him you will go, no need to serve you lol. Maybe give him a hug lol, brighten his day :rofl:

17. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Or coffee and a doughnut? :D

I know, I'm a bastard.

18. fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Time to RedBull up!!

19. snowgod06

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab CLONE
    hahaha and to add HA

To Top