1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So you want to buy a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ramonortiz55, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Feb 14, 2017 at 5:08 PM
    SargeBSA

SargeBSA With self-discipline most anything is possible.

Member:
    Cascade Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra 4x4
    TRD Offroad Wheels 265/75 18 General Grabber ATX's,
    The dealer practically gave me the truck. I drove from Charlotte NC to Murfreesboro TN after a long chat with the sales rep I walked away paying 8,000 less than msrp. Why because nobody wanted the ugly duckling but I did it had been sitting on the dealers lot for just over a year.

2. Feb 14, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    Same happened w a friend who bought a camry from the dealer.

The dealer had a 2008 brand new camry and the year was 2012... it had like 10 miles, it was the ugly duckling no one wanted.

3. Feb 14, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    I actually ran into a similar situation with my 2014. I found the truck i wanted. Emailed them, they emailed me back, so i told them the price was to high for what i wanted, they emailed me back and sqid they would talk to their finance manager and get back to me. So i had her call and leave me a voice mail message. (Very limited dealers within 150 miles of where i live, couldnt travel much farther because of work). Anyways, i was at work and she called back and said she talked to her sales and finance manager and they would knock 2700 off the price, well it stickered for 29,800, so i felt that was a pretty decent drop, so i emailed them back and setup an appointment.

Well i go over and pull in and park, right where the tacomas were at, didnt see my truck there, so as i was walking in, one of the sales managers were walking out, we exchanged info and he said that he didnt have an appointment scheduled for me, and that my truck WAS ON A FUCKING TEST DRIVE!!!! I was furious because i had just drove almost 3 hrs to get there on a saturday.

Well, while he was trying to upsale me, my truck pulled back in from the test drive, the people that were driving it decided they didnt want it, so to make a long story short, he said we could talk numbers, so i told him the price the online girl told me and he said he didnt believe it, so i let him listen to the voicemail. Had him by the balls, well i was trading in another car that i only owed 4000 on and he wanted to give 2000 for it, i told him i would take no less than blue book trade in or i would go elsewhere. Well after i got the 8000 out of blue on my trade in, that dropped the truck 23,100. He asked if we had a deal, and i told him he would have to knock some more off of it, because the trucked i looked at online only had 2 miles on it, and this one now had almost 50. Had to get up and walk out before he beleived i was serious. After that, they tried to hit me with 19% financing (was already pre-approved for 30,000 though my credit union at 1.2%). So after haggling that down, i walked away with them paying the sales tax, .9% financing through them, and buying the truck for 21,500.

Salesman said he has never sold one for that price, ever. I said theres always a first time for everything!!

Just remember stand your ground, its a privelage for them to sale you a vehicle, not a privelage for you to buy it from them.

4. Feb 15, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 [OP] Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    I plan to use this method In a year or two when shopping for my wife's Avalon :)

5. Feb 15, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    jackolo

jackolo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off Road AC
    Buying new or used, knowledge, patience and persistence is a great thing.
    I offered $45k on a $50k used vehicle before. Vehicle was on the lot for 3 months. Dealer wouldn't budge. Two weeks leader, dealer calls me back and wants to take my offer.
    I also tried the OP's method for a new vehicle recently and effort was minimal with plenty of gain.

6. Feb 15, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Reminds me of the time when my cousin, Danny saw this lifted Nissan Titan that he was eyeing at a dealership and the bluebook on it was priced to sell for cheap. He walked up to an elderly salesman who seemed to mark Danny as a "cheap redneck." He was not interested in trying to sell the truck to him as he figured Danny would try to haggle a little. Sure enough my cousin goes out to make a few calls to his bank to verify that he has funds and a loan from his bank in the event that he was able to buy the truck. When he comes back out, turns out some rich kid was already taking the vehicle for a test drive and the guy was hoping to make bank off the kids father in the sale and had stalled during their convo. Danny keeps his cool when he finds out that the guy was itching to sell it already to someone else when he acted otherwise just minutes before.

Danny approaches the first salesman he sees on the floor and asks if he is familiar with the lifted Titan in their lot. He says, of course its a nice truck...would you like a test drive? He says no, I have seen it before and am ready to throw down and have my own loan for it. Within 20 minutes the transaction was complete.

Danny then strolls back over to the elderly salesman who was just talking with the kid and his father about how cool the truck is and how much they will enjoy it. He notices my cousin coming from behind and starts to fill him in that "sorry, but I think this truck is soon to be sold...I apologize." Danny shows his sad face for a second and goes..."you know what...you are right." Just as the elderly salesman starts to say something, Danny busts out his receipt and says...to me. I would like to get in my truck now. The salesman gets irritated as he just can't believe what has happened. Starts to ramble on about "this cannot be?" He re-reads the receipt and recognizes the name of the other salesman and knows the sale is real and it is done.

After that, the elderly man had no choice but to hide his embarrassment and walk away. I'm not one for robbing a sale of someone, but to be honest the salesman had that coming by not being honest from the get go. May not always be the smartest route to go, but money can talk...and sometimes pretty fast given the situation.

To recap from this thread...

1. Identify dream vehicle
    2. Itemize list of dealers
    3. Haggle statement (weed out 1)
    4. Send Nudz
    5. Haggle statement (weed out 2)
    6. Send more Nudz
    7. Haggle statement (weed out 3)
    8. Send more/friends Nudz
    9. Confirm dream truck/purchase
    10. Send Nudz to all other dealers

Coot

7. Feb 15, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    On a serious note, this is a great template Ramon for knowing the real book value/region of the desired vehicle. At the end of the day, its a numbers game...except you can also have a database to your advantage.

Coot

8. Feb 15, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    bcbrack

bcbrack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Makes me want to go buy a new car...

NorthGeorgiaTaco and ecotecin like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    Storman

Storman Fukitol abuser

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR AC 4x4 AT AC UP ->LONG BED<-
    Whole bunch of shit! $$$
    Yep, great post....to sum it all up.....its a race to the bottom price.......good luck all.

10. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    austinrauh

austinrauh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    05 AC OR
    :bowdown: using this someday, I like the organization

11. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:10 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    Nice job Ramon

12. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    This is a great post Ramon! Can you post a screenshot of your excel spreadsheet? It may help anyone trying to do this what categories they may need in order to stay so organized.

13. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
    I hope I don't need to buy a new vehicle anytime soon. But if I do I will be using this!

14. Mar 28, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    ecotecin

ecotecin Wait, whut........

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB sold (2020 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab)
    True, but to the best of my knowledge, unless a deposit is put on it, whoever has the money gets the vehicle.

HutchJ likes this.
  15. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    gmr102

gmr102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah County
    Vehicle:
    Formerly: 2002 Silver Stepside TRD OR Ext Cab V6 Current: 2008 Lexus GX470
    Might need this someday. Good job!

16. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Ramon, good thread. Basically used a similar technique in 2004, but a smaller pool of dealerships. Maybe 25 to start with.

Couple of ideas that helped me.

I was a cash buyer, so when I responded to someone who made the cut list, I included the 'cash and carry'. Paying cash, no trade. (so you don't have to keep the price up to allow me $2k more for my clunker than it's worth)

If you are financing, be pre approved for a certain amount and rate with a CU or your cousin Vinny's bank. The dealer may, or may not, offer you a better deal.

Agree with the faux email account. One that you can kill afterwards. Now I'd do a Google phone number as well. I can give that number out, never answer, listen to VM at my leisure, and kill the number later on if I wish. It can be a convenience.

ramonortiz55[OP] likes this.
  17. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Which nudes did you send them?

Tunngavik and Coot83 like this.
  18. Mar 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    SunSetPrez

SunSetPrez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Thats pretty much how I do it. I enjoy buying cars

19. Mar 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    mbmack1

mbmack1 That F'n guy

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    az
    Vehicle:
    SAVAGE silver '06
    That's a legit hustle Ramon. Very respectable sir.:thumbsup:

20. Mar 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM
    PintSize

PintSize Crossthreaded & torqued down

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 2.7L 5 spd RC 4x4
    I respect that hussle @ramonortiz55! I've used a similar method two purchases ago, my ex was pregnant and that helped expediate the negotiations!

Products Discussed in

To Top