1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sobriety.... One year later... Please Read.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RearViewMirror, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    Ccrames2018

Ccrames2018 Jack of some trades.

Member:
    First Name:
    Caden
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 V6 6MT
    -Bilstein 5100s @1.75" -16x8 SCS Ray10s with 285/70R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers -URD Short Throw Shifter -Tailgate pad/bike mounts -Bed extender -Bed mat -Aftermarket head unit -Flowmaster 50 and resonated tip -ME-SO Customs dome/map lights -Window tint with eyebrow -LED taillights -GTR Lighting bulbs -Jumpers LEDs DRL mod -Husky floor liners -American Flag decals -Toolbox -Headache Rack -Sumo Springs -Air intake -Bora 3/4" wheel spacers (in progress)
    Yeah I'm sure I will never see someone walk up and shoot a person that's on my stretcher, or have to worry about regular gunfights while running calls. I live and work in northern California so it's a pretty safe area compared to some of the more incorporated areas. I guess eventually they're going to be giving us bulletproof vests to wear on medical aids, though. I'm glad I'm not working in an area with that kind of stuff going on daily. It would still be nice if we were allowed to have some form of self protection on us though since we do go into some sketchy areas at times. We aren't even allowed to have pepper spray at the station.

2. Feb 7, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Yeah... When I first came on the job it was bad. And I mean bad. I got grazed by a bullet to the neck on one rescue during that time. After about three years or so the gang violence died down quite a bit and it wasn't as bad. Then it was just regular runs. But it's still a shit city and I avoid going into the city at all costs now. Part of it is... even though it's a city of over 500k population, there isn't many places that I can go that isn't attached to a shitty run that brings back bad memories. We moved about 25 miles outside of the city when my daughter was born to a nice town with the best school district in the state. No way I was bringing her up in that area. All cities of any size have issues but when you're still #4 on the list of the worst cities to live in per capita... that should tell you something. Before I retired I roughly figured up that I had been on a little over 34,000 runs during my career. I was never on a slow company during my entire career.

3. Feb 7, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    motodude95

motodude95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB, OME 886s, 33s

Any advice for a 23 year old guy, just graduated college with degrees in accounting and finance and just passed the CPA, working with a great job but wants something more out of life and is considering FD? I feel like it would be stupid to throw away everything I've got now for something completely different but to be honest I feel like this job is soul crushing and I would be more fulfilled in life with something like working in Fire Service. Very athletic and in good shape- I lift 6 times a week and run for miles on weekends.

4. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Depends really. I got my degree in Business Administration and then ended up with degrees in Chemistry and Radiological / Nuclear because I was part of the Haz Mat team my entire career. It's a very good job if you can handle the stress. And depending on where you work there will be a lot of stress. You also have to take in family considerations. If you do take the job and you have kids you will miss a third of their life growing up. So you will be gone for 24hrs every third day (at least most places in the country). The retirement is amazing. I got to retire when I was 47 and because of my final average pay that I paid into our pension I actually make more money off the job than I did when I was on it. Partly because I was promoted on my first two promotion tests. I spent more of my career as a Captain than anything else so that helped a lot with my retirement. So I got to retire at a (relatively) young age and I'm guaranteed a 3% cost of living increase each year for the rest of my life.

That said... If I live to be 70 I'll be surprised just because of all the things that I've been exposed to throughout my career. If I don't die in some freak accident then I already know I will die of some form of cancer. But... I knew that going into the job so it's not a surprise. FF's generally don't have as long of a life span as the general public. We are 400X's more likely to get certain types of cancer than the general public. Just part of the job.

5. Apr 10, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Longboard1110

Longboard1110 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma off-road
    A few things
    Thanks for posting your journey. Sub’ed for inspiration.

Products Discussed in

To Top