1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft Brakes Anyone??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by westattam, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    westattam

westattam [OP] New Member

Member:
    BC/Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access TRD Off-Rd 4x4
    Recently, I noticed my brake pedal becoming a little 'soft' and that there's a little 'play' in the brake pedal before the brakes actually engage. I had it looked at and there doesn't seem to be any badly warn parts which require replacement. The garage 'bled' the brakes which didn't seem to solve the problem. The mechanic was going to call Toyota and ask their thoughts, but never followed up. Any one have similar problems or know what this might be..? Master Cylinder? My truck is a 2005 Access Cab TRD OffRoad 4x4. 40,000 miles and hasn't needed a brake job yet. :)

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    At 7 years you may want to replace some stuff regardless of use. 40k isn't much on pads been 7 years of sitting is ..

I would probably check the pads and in the process make sure the calipers are working well.

3. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I have an 06 access sport. I hate the brakes. I have 42k and plenty of meat on all brakes. I did a brake flush and they seemed to get alot better, but they are still a little soft.

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    I've heard upgrading to stainless steel brake lines for some have helped. I also noticed my brakes are on the squishier side

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    Check your back brake adjustment. There is instructions on here on how to do it.

6. Jun 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    prjctTACO

prjctTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    i just installed all four stainless steel lines to help aid with the mushy pedal feel, and it didnt help much. bleeded all brakes properly with a motive brake bleeder. possibly upgrading the master cylinder may help??

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    prjctTACO

prjctTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    Going to be doing rotors and pads very soon. Its the feel of the mushy pedal that I dislike. Nothing wrong with the truck not stopping. Is the an OEM upgrade for the brake booster or master cylinder? Possibly from an fj, tundra, etc...

Products Discussed in

To Top