1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft, Spongey, Mushy Brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pob, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    Pob

Pob [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    Hi all, new to the forum...love my new 2010 Double Cab Tacoma, but periodically experience a significant variation in braking power. Have seen threads on the topic, experienced by others. Dealers ALL say "it's normal." yet it sure doesn't feel normal, nor does it feel safe to not have the responsive stopping power of other cars (ie, my wife's 2010 Pilot). Anyone else encounter this?

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Welcome to TW...

are you pumping your breaks or just applying steady pressure? Pumping them can cause a mushy feeling

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Get the brakes bled somewhere other than a dealer?? (like your own driveway) and see if that fixes it.
    If not- Take it to the dealership and compare with some other trucks....see what else you can do.

A new set of pads and lines with some better fluid may help too.

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Got the same set up, and noticed basically the same deal...before I made the purchase, I read somewhere to expect that to a degree. Brakes work fine, just seem to be a tad soft. I also read that on the auomatics 2nd gear might be in "search mode" when slowing down and then accelerating, which I've also found to be true to a degree...no probs though...brake pedal feels like a little chunk of 2x4 to me; love the thing though!:)

5. Jan 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    No, my 2009 brakes are mushy too. They feel like brakes did on a 70's era detroit car with power brakes... mushy, mushy, with no feel to them. I agree. It's just the way they are.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Pob

Pob [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    Thanks all for the good replies. Comforting to know others share this. Noticed to other related "mushy brake" threads, so apparently a common occurrence.

7. Jan 15, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    POB,
    Have you tried bleeding your brakes? I have the same problem with my 06, mine will also make a clunking noise sometimes when i realease the brakes? Does yours do the same? can anyone explain the clunking noise. It frustrates me so much. I really hate driving my truck because of it. I took it to my mechanic and he said tacomas are notorious bad breakers but man. Im gonna try bleeding my brakes this weekend to see if it helps, otherwise IDK what im gonna do man... Please any help is appreciated.

8. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    thats the way they feel,you will get used to it after a while

9. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    I think most of this is due to Toyota using Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) feature and Brake Assist. EBD optimizes brake pressure at each wheel for greater control under braking, especially when cornering. The Brake Assist system is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking. If the driver has not stepped firmly enough on the brake pedal to engage the ABS, the system supplements the applied braking power until pedal pressure is released.

10. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Goodridge SS lines and Hawk HPS pads made the improvement I needed to be happy. They gave me firmer pedal feel and better initial 'bite'. I got mine at AutoAnything.com. The stock brakes are mushy and vague.

11. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Does anyone know of any adjustments i could make to the brakes to dix this?

12. Jan 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    What SManZ said above is the best choice. There are no adjustments to be made, just upgrade the parts.

13. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    jdwoodie

jdwoodie Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DB LB Tacoma
    I had the same issue with my 2010 Taco, but never really had an issue with my 08. I asked the Service Manager what his thoughts were on it and why it was so much different than the 08. He said it's normal with the 2010s until you get a couple of thousand miles on the truck before you will notice a difference.

It does seem to be improving somewhat after getting a few miles on the truck and working the brakes "hard" a little.

14. Jan 15, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    Welcome to TW. Nice to see a New England local on here.

sorry to hear bout the brakes. i have no problem on my 2008 reg cab.

I would also have them bled to see if it improves it at all. but if 2010 has that electronioc braking system, then i bet thats the reason

good luck

15. Jan 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    This could be the case if new pads haven't bedded into the rotors but I would think this is something that'd be done at the factory.

Bedding brakes isn't hard. You just need to find a spot to do it. There's a bunch of different methods, speeds, and cooling times. In general you get up to a low speed and brake firmly a few times, then go up to a higher speed and do it a few more times. I just stop about 6 times from 25mph and then get up to 60mph and brake firmly down to 45 a few times. Check your mirrors and make sure no one's behind you.

16. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    Giants

Giants Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Doublecab Longbed
    Took my 2010 DC LB back to dealer for same problem with brakes...they say normal. Hope it improves because it is annoying. Will try some of the tips!

17. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    My brakes were mushy and didn't feel like they gripped well. I just replaced my brake lines with goodridge ss brake lines and OMG it made a huge difference. Ask anyone who has replaced their brake lines and they will tell you it's worth every penny. I'm starting a group buy, check out the link in my signature.

18. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    Pob

Pob [OP] Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma

How much does a brake line replacement like that cost?

19. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    I set up an amazing deal on the SS lines, only $80.00(delivered) for all 4 lines. These are goodridge lines not that other cheap stuff that breaks in 3 months.The install is really simple, you just need to know how to bleed your brakes. :D So to answer your question, as little as $80.00.

Products Discussed in

To Top