1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft tonneau cover with ladder rack, one option

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jibski, May 25, 2015.

1. May 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    jibski

jibski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 2.7 AC 4X4
    Hey all,
    Just thought I'd share this real quick. I bought a Truxedo Truxport tonneau about 6 months ago and have since been trying to figure out how to add a ladder/lumber rack with that particular tonneau (as this tonneau installs ON TOP of the bedrails). I decided that the single side, 250 lb rated ladder rack would suit my needs just fine. I was looking for something that was not permanently mounted that would work well with my set up and still allow me to use my tonneau. I will be hauling occasional lumber for house projects, ladders, and kayaks.
    After much research (just looking at online pictures of how each rack mounted), I decided on this rack:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012ELUHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This rack mounted relatively easily to the right side of my truck bed (installation on the left side will be slightly different due to the bracket for the rear rack support). I used the included hardware to install the the rack supports in the bed, with the exception of using 3/8" uni-strut pieces to mount the top of the front support to the factory bed rails. I also bought a hand-full of 3/8" washers to use as spacers where needed, since the bed sides of the Tacoma are angled somewhat.

What I ended up with was two vertical rack supports mounted in the bed, pretty much as far forward and far backward in the bed as you can go, providing for the greatest front-to-back span possible. The supports also extend almost all the way up to the top of the bed (bottom of my tonneau), which provides the greatest possible support for the rack loaded up with weight. I was very happy with this choice of rack, as the mounting hardware for the rack supports worked great with the Tacoma's bed.

The racks slide easily into the supports and are quickly secured with one set screw each.

Hope this helps someone down the road.
    Josh

IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3272.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg

Keith_Stone likes this.
  2. Aug 4, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    TheLRZ

TheLRZ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Black
    3" Bilstein, Leaf package, airbag adjust, OEM stepbar, fog lights
    Sweet setup. Thanks

3. Jun 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    Jewmeister

Jewmeister Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4x4
    I know it’s an old post, but how did this setup for for you ? I want to do the exact setup, I have a swing case and Tonneau already but need a place to throw a long ladder/make shift awning on occasion.

Products Discussed in

To Top