1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soft Topper

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by roughnready62, Feb 23, 2009.

1. May 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    My MPG's have not changed. It may even reduce mileage slightly due to wind drag. When at speed, the canvas "sucks in" to the frame structure, no flapping or noise what-so-ever. I do not know about fitting behind a head-ache rack, the front side against the cab is designed to hang down between the cab and bed a few inches and also attach to the inside of the bed with velcro or snaps. If that detail could be figured out, it might work.

2. May 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Brandon9402

Brandon9402 uncoordinated dirtbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5
    Kenwood headunit, 4 kicker 5x7 coaxials,2 memphis 1.5" tweeters, 2 12" memphis subwoofers, memphis 500w amp, chrome grille guard, kc fog lamps, chrome side steps, chrome tool box, and window visors
    just did a load of research on this thing and i REALLY want one now!!! wish i had the money for it:( id buy it in a heartbeat

3. May 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    I have had this Softopper for a month now and it has worked out well. It gives me a ton of room without a worry of tying down or getting stuff wet. I had one leak where the 2 weather strips meet in the center, but a drop if silicone will solve that. Mileage has dropped by about 2mpg at highway speeds due to drag- the design behind the cab on a 2nd gen isn't the best- but city mpg seems to be the same. I have had this out to the desert twice and it is very useful keeping the stuff in the bed cooler. And everyone loves the look.

A tip on buying, everyone seems to have the same price, find one that will ship for free.

[​IMG]

4. May 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    Just ordered one with the dog window option. Will post when installed.

5. May 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Brandon9402

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5
    Kenwood headunit, 4 kicker 5x7 coaxials,2 memphis 1.5" tweeters, 2 12" memphis subwoofers, memphis 500w amp, chrome grille guard, kc fog lamps, chrome side steps, chrome tool box, and window visors
    can someone explain this dog window thing? im curious now

6. May 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Explanation is at top of page. It's basically a removable panel in the middle of the front window. Pretty sure it attaches at the top and bottom but I'm not sure that the sides of it seal to the rest of the window (may have to add Velcro). I'll take pics when I get it installed at the end of this week.

7. May 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Brandon9402

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5
    oh ok. looking forward to those pics

8. May 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    But cant you just easily collapse it down when your about to drive on the highway?

9. May 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    It can be folded down. I'm gonna be taking a road trip this weekend and will need to have it up and closed.

10. May 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Here's the doggie window

[​IMG]

You're looking at the outer face of the topper. The doggie window hangs down between the cab and the topper, so it's on the outside. The inch or so overlap looks like it will block out the elements and provide a bit of ventilation. It velcros on so you can remove it or possibly move it to the inside. There are also 2 straps to roll it up. The bottom doesn't attach to anything but there is extra velcro I may stick on if it flaps around. I think it will be fine since there won't be any airflow on it.

I'll put up some installed pics later since I'm gonna close her up for a road trip.

11. May 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    yes, it is really easy to take off if I dont need it.

12. May 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Ok, so I've had this thing a week now, including a drive from Austin to New Mexico. It holds up on speeds up to 90 that I hit.

I have mixed feelings about it. I love the rolled up version for the dogs to have a roof and it provides adequate protection from the elements.

I say adequate because the front window is kind of sketchy (not the dog panel, but the entire front of it. For whatever design reason, the top stands taller than the roof of the car so it creates an airscoop that pushes down on the front window. If you look at my above picture, the bottom of it just slides down between the bed and cab. There are no attachment points on the bottom of it (there is an interior flap you can velcro or button).

As a result, the airflow created by the gap between the rear of cab and front of topper pushes against the front window so that it damn near slides up and into the bed, additionally, the curved corners don't provide 100% coverage whether moving or not. This is fine for a sunny day but I imagine highway driving in rain would end up in a substantial amount getting into the bed.

Other than that, it's fine for what it does, seems sturdy, gets lots of comments, and is a nice temporary shade and tent for camping. I'd steer clear of putting anything in it during a heavy rain and I'm hoping I can figure something out for the front window. Took my mpg down about 2, as well.

13. May 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    I assume it is that way to accomadate several brands of trucks. if the seams were about 3 inches farther apart, it would be even with the top.
    I added 3 snaps to the inside of my bed to keep the front panel down but it is still a wind block that lowers MPG.
    As far as the rain-while-driving goes, I was very happy not to have ANY leaks in the back , adjusting the back and front windows and rails was a little tricky but has made for a better fit.

And it says not to, but I find cinching the corner straps closes the corners better

14. May 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Does your window push in a lot? The inside of it is fine but the exterior is what's pushing up, especially on the sides where the interior flap doesn't cover.

15. May 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    I put the snaps as low as I could and the window doesn't move

16. May 24, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    HammerHead

HammerHead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    I can post pictures of mine when I get home, but when you fold it up in the cover, does anyone else's bump against the back window? I was hoping it would fold farther down under the window.

Otherwise, I've had mine on for about 3 months and no issues whatsoever. No leaks. Get loads of comments on it, especially asking where I got it. I usually drive it with the back window rolled up for better visability, but have never driven with all sides rolled up. Anyone done that? Was kinda scared the air flow would get up under there and strain the rods.:notsure:

17. May 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    I haven't had any problems at hightway speeds with mine rolled up at all. This thing is a lot stronger than it looks. As long as the straps are snug so it can't rock back and forth it should be fine.

As far as folding it down, make sure the back straps are connected where the front straps are and tighten the bejesus out of them so it can't really move.

18. May 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Hmmmm I'll have to give that a whirl. Good thing I brought a bunch of spare Velcro on this trip! Gonna have to install snaps when I get back home

19. May 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    RDtres

RDtres Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DC LB
    Nice soft Toppers. I've had mine since `10. It was originally on my 99 taco. Them I bought a 2012 and the software topper transferred over with different clamps. $20 and soft topper customer service is top notch. Great product. I'm sold for life.

IMAG0260.jpg

20. May 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    After tightening the inside flap of the front window, I'm much happier. Still haven't installed the snaps yet, though. Just ran it through a touchless car wash to test it and a very small amount of water dribbled down the side of the bed in at the corners of the tailgate, most likely because the water came at it sideways. I'm assuming that velcroing the back window down to the tailgate would provide complete protection but I don't want to stick that stuff on my paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top