1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper or Bestop in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rider Eh!, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    Rider Eh!

Rider Eh! [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport V6 Manual 4X4
    Anyone know where to get the best price on one of these? I haven't really decided which I'll get but probably just going to go for whichever has the best price.

2. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:13 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    Softopper supposidly has better quality and will hold up a little better in winters. Bestoppers have those plastic windows that will be ruined after a winter or two.

3. Jan 3, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I can't seem to find where to buy the Softopper, seems like they only distribute through themselves and things are like $800 USD! Found the Bestop on Partsengine.ca and autopartsway.ca which both tend to have 10% off codes every once in a while.

4. Jan 4, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    ticaz

ticaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Timberland Mica DCLB 4x4
    Had a softopper in Northern Ontario. I believe it would be a better choice to a best-top due to the trouble people mention having with them in the winter and less windows to crack (and trust me, they do get very fragile when freezing temps hit). I did like mine, but after one winter I used it only in the summer and used a tonneau in the winter. If you are looking for a camper shell to use all winter, I would suggest a fibreglass one. There are a reason you don't see too many around here in the North.

My experience with my soft topper in the winter:
    1. Salt gets on the fabric, looks awful and very hard to clean up in the winter.
    2. Back window gets dirty, and is not simple to clean when cold, as its so brittle and now your visibility behind you is gone. After a while the window just becomes permanently hazy/foggy and needs to be replaced.
    3. Extremely difficult to put back up if folded down in the cold.
    4. Rolling up the window up or removing it is NOT a good idea unless it has been in the sun for a bit, or you have a way of warming it up.
    5. Large amounts of snow have to be cleaned off ASAP as these things aren't meant to hold a lot of weight.

Another misconception is that these are good for camping. I can't speak for the best-top, but my softtopper had a few spots where bugs could slip in, especially around the rear window area where it wouldn't seal arraigned the bed perfectly.

If you have a heated garage, it would be possible, as you can warm the topper up before folding or putting back up, and it will likely never see too much snow.

All that being said, I am not giving these a bad review, I LOVED my softopper! It always pulled in a crowd, and I always had people asking me about it as you just don't see them around here. However, being realistic, its not a good winter option.

Hope this helps!

5. Jan 4, 2017 at 2:54 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Did you order yours directly from Softopper @ticaz ? This seems to be the only way to get them now. Which also means they are about 50% more than the Bestop! I like the look of the Softopper more and they seem to be built better, but hard to justify the extra cost. Wondering if I just use it in the summer if I'll be ok. Also not sure if the Bestop has vents for my dog to sleep in when camping?

6. Jan 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    ticaz

ticaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Got mine used locally. It was for an f150 I had at the time. I have been browsing online to grab one or the other for my taco. You are correct in regards to softopper, they only ship from their own factory in the US now. Last I checked, I could get one shopped in CAD$ for about $1100 to my door (northern ontario), but thats not including any duty fees that may occur.

I called a local parts dealer in my town that sells best-top products (action auto), I was quoted in the ball park of $1300cad.

I am not sure if best-top sells a vent/mesh for their product, but I know the softopper does sell a screened rear window that you can swap out that will set you back just over $100cad.

Hope this helps!

7. Mar 19, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    1989supraturbo

1989supraturbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    I just installed mine, im in BC and purchased a Bestop from Northridge 4x4 in Alberta and it was shipped for $907. Amazing price and ill recommend them to anyone lol. It took about a month and you dont have to worry about duty either.

Cap it wanted $1200 + tax lolol

IMG_0678.jpg

yodatoyota, aw3sumpossum and bigmw like this.
  8. Mar 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    balljoint

balljoint Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCLB
    I ordered my Softopper directly from the company in Colorado. It's been through a couple of winters now and it still looks and works great.

9. Mar 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    aw3sumpossum

aw3sumpossum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2015 6MT Double Cab TRD Tacoma
    16x8 FN 5 Star wheels wrapped with 265/75/16 Duratracs (32's) Bestop soft top Wet Oakle seat covers 30" Rough Country front bumper LED light bar HID's/cleared headlights Debadged One hell of a sound system
    I was quoted just over $1,400 from Cap-It, I ended up getting mine shipped to my house for just shy of $900 off Amazon.ca

If you're still looking for one, I'm in Calgary as well and I'm looking to sell mine in favour of a hardtop (for a future RTT).

10. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Thanks but I've decided on the softopper over the bestop. Going to border order one for Easter.

11. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    ticaz

ticaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Would you consider shipping? I am located in Ontario, and would be interested in purchasing. Please PM me if you are interested in trying to work something out.

12. Apr 1, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    aw3sumpossum

aw3sumpossum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    16x8 FN 5 Star wheels wrapped with 265/75/16 Duratracs (32's) Bestop soft top Wet Oakle seat covers 30" Rough Country front bumper LED light bar HID's/cleared headlights Debadged One hell of a sound system
    I'd consider it, although I'd much rather sell/trade locally for convenience reasons. I'm on a work trip to Halifax until the end of April, I'll give you a shout when I get home!

13. Apr 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    ticaz

ticaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Thanks very much!
    I may be jumping the gun too fast though... I just noticed you have a 6MT double cab... you have a short bed then don't you? Mine is a double cab long bed, so I may be out of luck :-(

14. Apr 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    aw3sumpossum

aw3sumpossum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir, I've got a short box.

15. Apr 1, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    homesteader

homesteader Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT DCSB
    Pm sent!!!

16. May 24, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    1989supraturbo

1989supraturbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD 6 Spd MGM
    Does anyone know how to fold it up properly? the instructions aren't clear, I tried it once and was worried about putting a crease in the front window and it looked all floppy and loose..

17. May 24, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    So OP, are we gonna see it on?

You made the right choice. I have the Besttop (love it) but managed to BREAK my windows while sweeping snow off the top in the winter.
    Got them mended up with Gorrilla Tape. (impressive stuff).

18. Jun 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Rider Eh!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
  19. Jun 6, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    jakub4

jakub4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jakub
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB Sport in fast blue
    ADS shocks, Dakars, Lots of custom electrics, too much money spent
    I ended up pricing one from tdot (link here) for about $900 shipped. I then went to Action trucks locally in Regina, where I live, and they ended up price matching, then beating tdot by about another $50. I was surprised a local reseller was able to sell it for cheaper than buying it on the net. It goes to show you though, it's worth checking out local.

Products Discussed in

To Top