1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper vs bestop super top pros and cons

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Suave, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Dec 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I might get the travel package my old tonneau is showing the wear and tear after 7+ years in the sun, rain, and construction hauling.

2. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    I have been trying to figure out how to securely clamp down the window against the cab. Using the same style clamps that come with the Supertop. Many thank you's for this. I ended up ordering a new canopy due to the fabric ripping on the drivers side next to the cab about a month ago not to mention the window had started to crack in different places. I was able to get the canopy replaced by Bestop for 50% off the cost of a replacement canopy. Mine was 1 owner owned when I got it, so no warranty is available for it.

The Supertop 2 is a much better design, but still has the vinyl window against the cab making it a pain in the ass to roll in the winter without cracking it. They also changed the design, so there is now a rail that's against the cab for the window to now be securely attached. I believe it's the same rail as as the sides and attaches the same as the two sides two. Why this was never in the original design especially for the Taco is beyond me. Taco's have the composite bed, so the adhesive for the velcro that comes with the Bestop eventually comes off. Velco wouldn't even stay attached when adding the industrial strength type either, so either way does not make sense.

3. May 4, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    TRD=Cant afford me.

TRD=Cant afford me. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    '14 Regular Cab 4x4
    I plan on getting either one within the next week. I plan on using it to camp and sleep in. Any recommendations in that matter?

4. May 4, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    Cpngo

Cpngo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OR 4x4
    I have the super top 2 from bestop. When you're inside, there is no way out lmao. There are certain parts of the frame that definitely let dirt/dust and water in. Me and the wife used it as a tent recently, and it wasn't bad. But the bed did get mud inside from where the gaps in the frame system are. Last, the cross member for the rear door doesn't seal really well with the trail gate. Lets a lof crap in.

TRD=Cant afford me. likes this.
  5. May 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    TRD=Cant afford me.

TRD=Cant afford me. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    N.E. Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    '14 Regular Cab 4x4
    Okay, thank you very much for the help. I think I have made my decision and Im going with a softtopper.

6. May 22, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    RdyPlayerOne

RdyPlayerOne New Member

Member:
    I'm looking at getting a topper for when my factory tonneau doesn't give enough room for weather protected hauling. I'm wanting something that comes off clean because most of the time i will be running with my tonneau on. Do either the Bestop or the Softopper have a way to mount them that they come off and not leave velcro on the outside of my tailgate?

for further info, I'm leaning more toward the softopper right now due to having read in this thread that it's better for truck bed camping and i like the tensioning system.

Products Discussed in

To Top