1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softtopper vs camper shell

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Gsingh916, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Nov 27, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    I used this, soldered on the back of the drivers side tail and routed up through the bed cubby:

[​IMG]

tonered likes this.
  2. Nov 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    X-actly! I have a few of those lying around.

:cheers:

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 27, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    Ya that hump on top wasn't working for me either. There were a lot of eyes on it at SEMA.

Rock Lobster[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    mjs90

mjs90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 2.7 AC 4x4

I camped in a heavy downpour in Yosemite last may and we were completely dry. Just have to adjust the corners a bit when you stop driving.

tonered and Teegs[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Nov 27, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    OzarksAGD

OzarksAGD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    I'll chime in on something people haven't mentioned yet as a con. But before I do, I want to make it clear that I love the Softopper for a lot of reasons and will be keeping it.

My issue is ventilation for me when sleeping in the back. I've spent many nights sleeping on a platform in the bed. After plugging the holes in the bed and properly installing the topper, I don't have any issues with heavy downpours (or dust), but I do have issues with condensation. Because there are no mesh windows to allow airflow as there would be in a hard top, you're either forced to stew in your own breath or open the flaps a bit at front and back. Opening the flapss works ok, but in the summer it doesn't allow enough to stay cool and because there is no screen it allows mosquitoes inside. In the winter I end up with massive amounts of condensation on the roof after a nights sleep. I'm aware there is a screen rear option, but it allows both rain and dust inside.

Similarly, my other slight qualm is ventilation/visibility for my dogs when they're in the bed (they ride there all the time because they shed like crazy). With a hard top I could slide the window open and give them good ventilation, plus they could see the outside world through the sides. With the Softopper I end up opening the flaps at the front similar to how I do when sleeping in it. Again, this is OK but it looks messy and it's another task to put it back in order after the dogs get out.

The only thing I would swap for would be a fully loaded high-top hardshell with windoors. I want the high top so I can have a sleeping platform and sit up inside. The model I would want is over $3k new so that is not likely to happen any time soon.

Just my $.02. I'm honestly not sure I will ever go to hard top because of the weight penalty. I also love folding down my topper to haul something and give the truck a different look for a few days.

doublethebass likes this.
  6. Nov 27, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    IEsurfer

IEsurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Camper shells look butt ugly too, something only old men with aarp cards drive but perhaps you are one of those...

And the aluminum one looks plain fucking hideous and a cheap appearance (shitty quality)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Skydvrr likes this.
  7. Nov 27, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I think it really depends on how you use your truck. If I didn't use my truck for work and need the security and weatherproofing of a cap, I'd probably go the soft top route. While I think it looks like a canvas army tent, the ability to remove it easily is fantastic. Fortunately if I have to haul something tall, I just use one of my trailers, they are just easier to load anyways.

I don't think all caps look better, but I tend to prefer the aesthetics of a cap typically.

8. Dec 2, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Teegs

Teegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    You should go read my post on page 2 about having a hard shell. I had everything you mentioned above and am currently switching my setup dramatically.

9. Dec 2, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    Teegs

Teegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alright, just got back from our first real road trip where we encountered every shitty weather condition imaginable (ok, not huge hail or blizzard snow, but the rain, freezing rain, snow and wind were there).

The softopper performed quite well actually. I had very little water infiltration over the course of several days driving and camping in everything from drizzles to persistent downpours. It wasn't perfect, though and I'm going to need to spend some time inside with my wife spraying the thing down the a garden hose to identify where water is getting in, but otherwise I'm very pleased with the results. There is a lot less water infiltration than with my previous Leer 180. I also use the tuck-in method with the back flap, and have a tiny bit of water sneak by that, but honestly, its still way less than with the Leer so I'm happy. I didnt really expect that part to work all that well, but it has!

The back window gets pretty gross with dust and mud, so expect to have to wipe that off at gas stations an what not.

The only real complaint I had was when we awoke in the mornings it was generally freezing temperature, which meant the window in the back should not be rolled up lest it crack in the cold. Flipping the flap on to the roof works well without wind, but when there was wind, I had the thing get blown back on me multiple times. Wasn't a deal breaker, and I'm sure there's an easy solution (maybe involving the clips on the sides), but there you have it.

doublethebass and tonered like this.
  10. Dec 2, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    I've said this in another thread, but whenever I see a soft topper I assume the owner has dogs and goes on cool adventures. When I see a hard top, I just wonder why they didn't get an SUV.

11. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    Paint job is dope.

12. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks for the trip report! :cheers:

For the flap, @dilbert suggested this:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/closed-any-softopper-model-gb.635923/page-5#post-21901961

He got his mating set from the folks at Softopper. Check out their parts page:
    https://www.softopper.com/accessories-parts/replacement-parts

Matching buckles are hard to find. I tried REI. They had some that were almost right. The female side worked in store, but the male didn't at home. Thankfully, a small mod to some RokStraps that I already had solved it:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/closed-any-softopper-model-gb.635923/page-11#post-21958749

I'm also just about done with my try at a 3rd brake light. I got the lead soldered on to a brake light and have the LED strip attached to some 2in tie wrap. I just need to route it around the ST and solder two joints. MNF tonight, so maybe tomorrow.

Go Hawks! :D

Skydvrr, dilbert and Teegs[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    Teegs

Teegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's exactly what I had in mind for keeping the top flap up in wind. Thanks for sending those links my way!

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    El Chap the Taco

El Chap the Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MT
    Harder to hose out an SUV when toting messy/dirty items. Also isolates stench for smelly items.

I had a Bestop Supertop for a couple of years. I liked it a lot, and if I lived in a year round warm climate I'd have kept it and gotten a rack for over top. Cons to the soft toppers as stated perviously include difficulty manipulating when temps dip low, and inability to haul things on top. By the time you buy a soft topper and a rack, you're close to the cost of a used hard shell. For my climate I wound up going hard shell and am happier with my choice.

15. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    waytolatetothegame

waytolatetothegame Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD OR
    How well do soft tops hold up against tree branches brushing up against them? Just curious how durable the material is

16. Dec 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    The last time I severely pinstriped a truck was in college with the old-style ST, It did fine. I havent done a severe brush test with my most recent topper, but I have done the inverse frequently - Twice a year I completely stuff the interior full of thorny yard trimmings, to the point where I thought for sure that I would puncture the sides from a cut branch that I shoved in at the wrong angle. So far, no punctures and no signs of wear. The material is pretty stout.

doublethebass likes this.
  17. Dec 4, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
  18. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    Camper shell, all the way.
    • Windoors for access to the bed
    • You can mount stuff on it or in it
    • You can secure gear or material to the roof (provided you run a rack)
    • Security is better
    • It's better at keeping out the elements
    • More volume inside than a soft topper especially with a high rise
    It's really better at everything except ease of removal. Mine doesn't come off as I can strap long 2x4's or whatever to the roof... or I use a utility trailer which I have because I tow my ATV.

Soft toppers have no advantage for me and the way I use my truck.

doublethebass, SloPokTaco and tonered like this.
  19. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.
    Because I don't want to throw gas cans, chain saws, deer, wet/dirty tents/gear in the back of an SUV. I really didn't buy my truck to be pretty, I bought it as a means to an end.

Ainapo and tonered like this.
  20. Dec 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Windoors almost sucked me in, but the total cost tossed me out. Hahaha!

That is the thing that I really like about the Softopper. Some relatively easy side access.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
To Top